Reply
New User
margaretfromtexas
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?

I hope your vacation was wonderful. What did you read while vacationing?

What's interesting about this thread is that you're 13 and starting to read the classics and I'm 61 and starting to read (or rather listen to) the classics. Ironic, eh? My daughter bought me an iPod for Christmas last year after patiently explaining what it was and did I think I might like such a music toy. Well, I'm definitely a music freak so I said yes. And what I became addicted to was the audio books!!! I've listened to The Mayflower, the first four of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, Gilgamesh, Beowulf, some poems, a couple of "instant novels" and now I'm onto Anna Kareninna (sp?) "Each family is unhappy in it's own way" It's fascinating to switch between something like Beowulf in the old English chant rhythm and the syntax of Tolstoy.

I do want to try some Wharton and I have Emma ready to go. I need a looonnggg trip to get some good reading done!!!
So many books, so little time.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎02-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?



margaretfromtexas wrote:
I hope your vacation was wonderful. What did you read while vacationing?

What's interesting about this thread is that you're 13 and starting to read the classics and I'm 61 and starting to read (or rather listen to) the classics. Ironic, eh? My daughter bought me an iPod for Christmas last year after patiently explaining what it was and did I think I might like such a music toy. Well, I'm definitely a music freak so I said yes. And what I became addicted to was the audio books!!! I've listened to The Mayflower, the first four of Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series, Gilgamesh, Beowulf, some poems, a couple of "instant novels" and now I'm onto Anna Kareninna (sp?) "Each family is unhappy in it's own way" It's fascinating to switch between something like Beowulf in the old English chant rhythm and the syntax of Tolstoy.

I do want to try some Wharton and I have Emma ready to go. I need a looonnggg trip to get some good reading done!!!




MY vacation was ver nice. While there I read Heart of Darkness, Les Miserables, Sherlock Holmes, and Edgar Allan Poe. And on the way back I picked up To Kill A Mockingbird again. I have a confession to make, when I said that I began To Kill a Mockingbird I began it but never got too deep into it. But then on the way back from vacation I picked it back uop and I had a lot of trouble putting it down yesterday and I'm about half-way done with it. It is so good! I am very thankful that I picked up Robinson Crusoe when I was 9 and that got me started on some classics when I was that age. Then I didn't start back up untill now when I'm 13, but I am very thankfull that I bought that Sherlock Holmes which got me started into the BN Classics section and there I discovered all of the others and now here I am.

Hey margaet, have you ever read anything by Joyce? I am trying to find some of his books on Google Books.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
New User
margaretfromtexas
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎07-07-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?

No, I haven't but I know that many consider him the finest writer of all time. There is a reading each Christmas I believe of Ulysses. I would start with A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man. It introduces Stephen Daedalus, who is the main character of Joyce's later works (which are all really long) and has significant emphasis on the development of the style of contempory narrative. I just read Heart of Darkness, too. I went to Warsaw where Conrad is from and have watched Apocalypse Now many times. I wanted to know why the two are connected. There are some good noted about the themes in Heart of Darkness on another literary site called online-literature.com.

Right now I'm reading Survivor in Death. It's a quickie whodunnit. What part of To Kill a Mockingbird did you enjoy the most?

It was made into a great movie and perhaps you should rent it to enhance your understanding of the characters and the themes. Gregory Peck is really good.

Margaret
So many books, so little time.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎02-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?

I'm not done with To Kill a Mockingbird, but I'm at the part where Atticus is questionign people at the court. I had to stop reading it, I had to eat lunch and now I'm posting here. It has been very hard to put down I read it until late last night.

I'll tell you what the connection of Heart of Darknes is to Apocalypse Now. The movie Apocalypse Now is based on Conrad's book. I have never seen it, but I read about in the Inspired By section in Heart of Darkness. I know that the movie takes place during the Vietnam war and the main character is sent on a mission to kill an insane sergant deep in the jungle. And I know that a famous line from it is, "I love the smell of napalm in the morning. It smells like victory!" I don't knwo what else the movie is about so I'd like to see it. Did you like it?

I found Band of Brothers on Google Books and I'm reading it right now, I've watched some of the episodes of the show and now I'd like to read the book. I loved the HBO mini series, if you like war movies you should watch the mini series. Or read the book.

I'd enjoy to see the movie version of Mockingbird, I love Peck! He's a great classic actor. I love him in Roman Holiday and Pork Chop Hill. I like Pork Chop Hill a lot! It's sooo good! I only saw part of it on the Millitary Channel once. Peck is one of the my all time favorite actors, along with Bogart, John Wayne, and some others.
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Frequent Contributor
kerrylee
Posts: 28
Registered: ‎04-15-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?



historybuff234 wrote:


mjp6906 wrote:
Have you read any of these books before? If not you may be embarking on a difficult journey. My top three favorites are Tess of the D'Urbeyvilles, Moby Dick, and Anna Korinana. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.




No I haven't read any of them. In fact I have not read all of the authors before. I like a challenge, I also think it will help me when I get to college. Of course I will have to re-read them sometime! Thanks for the advice. I am really enjoying Les Msiserables


Hi Historybuff234!

Sounds like you have quite plan for your summer's reading. There are a few books I would like to recommened. The Age of Innocence and The House of Mirth (both by Edith Wharton), Anna Karenina (Tolstoy), and The Wings of the Dove (by Henry James). Portrait of a Lady is also a great book to read. All these books contain some material that your Mom moght want to take a look at before you start (I know she's your teacher and is selective about some of the subjects you read at this time), but these are truly classic books with some great lessons on both character and consequence. There are so many classics that, yes, it could take a lifetime to read them, but I prefer to re-read as many of my favorite books as possible as long as possible.

Have fun this summer. Between Tae-Kwan-Do and all these books you should be pretty busy!

Take care.
kerkat
Contributor
yellehs
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎07-16-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?

Definately, you should try Willa Cather. I read My Antonia for the first time when I was 18 for a college English paper, and it had such am impact on me. Of all the books I have read throughout my life, this is the one book I hold the highest.
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎02-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?



kerrylee wrote:


historybuff234 wrote:


mjp6906 wrote:
Have you read any of these books before? If not you may be embarking on a difficult journey. My top three favorites are Tess of the D'Urbeyvilles, Moby Dick, and Anna Korinana. I wish you all the best in your endeavors.




No I haven't read any of them. In fact I have not read all of the authors before. I like a challenge, I also think it will help me when I get to college. Of course I will have to re-read them sometime! Thanks for the advice. I am really enjoying Les Msiserables


Hi Historybuff234!

Sounds like you have quite plan for your summer's reading. There are a few books I would like to recommened. The Age of Innocence and The House of Mirth (both by Edith Wharton), Anna Karenina (Tolstoy), and The Wings of the Dove (by Henry James). Portrait of a Lady is also a great book to read. All these books contain some material that your Mom moght want to take a look at before you start (I know she's your teacher and is selective about some of the subjects you read at this time), but these are truly classic books with some great lessons on both character and consequence. There are so many classics that, yes, it could take a lifetime to read them, but I prefer to re-read as many of my favorite books as possible as long as possible.

Have fun this summer. Between Tae-Kwan-Do and all these books you should be pretty busy!

Take care.




Thanks Kerry, I'm just wondering what my mom wouldn't approve of in teh books. I know that Wings of the Dove, I'm not sure about Portrait of a Lady and Tess of whatever it is probably have things that she wouldn't like. Would Anna Kerenina have anything she wouldn't like? Isn't part of the book her leaving her husband to go live with an army officer? She wouldn't like that. But like I've said before, if I don't read it now I'll probably read it in college.

but she approves of Moby Dick and I will be reading it this summer. IT sounds great! I got it for Christmas and haven't gotten time to read it yet with all the ones I'm reading right now.



I'll talk to you later,

happy reading,


historybuff
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein
Moderator
becke_davis
Posts: 35,679
Registered: ‎10-19-2006
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?

Have you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? That's a great book. You might try Island by Ayn Rand, too.
Frequent Contributor
APenForYourThoughts
Posts: 394
Registered: ‎06-22-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?

Yes, Anna Karenina is an adulteress and has a child out of wedlock, so your mother probably wouldn't approve. Christianity is questioned by one of the main characters at a certain point in the novel, so she probably wouldn't like that either, and I believe that Anna eventually commits suicide, though I haven't reached that part yet. However, do read it whenever you get the chance. I'm reading it for the first time, and I love it. Have you read Great Expectations by Charles Dickens yet? I read that a few years ago in eighth grade when I was thirteen, and I enjoyed that. If I remember correctly, there shouldn't be anything in there of which your mom wouldn't approve. Have fun!
"A book must be the axe for the frozen sea inside us." --Kafka
Frequent Contributor
historybuff234
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎02-08-2007
0 Kudos

Re: Some fo the greatest literary classics of all time, which should I read next?



becke_davis wrote:
Have you read Brave New World by Aldous Huxley? That's a great book. You might try Island by Ayn Rand, too.




I've never heard of them. What are they about? I think someplace you also suggested to me something like A Tree Grows in Brooklyn. What is that about?
The important thing, is to keep the important thing the important thing.
-Albert Einstein