Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

Sony 13.3" e-Reader Begins Trials

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Sony 13.3" e-Reader Begins Trials

[ Edited ]

Well, it's a jump from too small (6 inches) to too big (13.3 inches) for me. Ideally, I'd like a 10 inch-ish size eInk device, though anything 7 inches or larger would be ideal. Still, this one seems to be well thought out: "... I have personally reviewed over 83 different e-readers since launching Good e-Reader in 2009, and this was the first one to give me a quality PDF experience. I have received emails from airline pilots, heads of research divisions, and publishers about what device they should buy to read their PDF Files. I would implore everyone to buy this Sony one when it comes out; it changes the game."

I like that they're thinking of eInk as a positive rather than a limitation, and making the best possible use of it. No word on battery life, but I assume it'll be good for a couple of weeks between charges. This would be a nice "living room reader", taking the place of some of the magazines and odd books laying around for casual reading. My wife would love it, since she's not fond of reading on LCDs, and finds the NST a bit small.

Not sure, but it looks like you need the stylus to use the keyboard, which is a bummer.

Hopefully, it'll be price-competitive with other ereaders.

You don't say much, gb, but you're finding some interesing reads. :smileyhappy:

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

I haven't read the article — Good E-Reader started life as a pirate site, then switched to throwing about wild rumors and calling it news, so I have no use for them. But over at The eBook Reader (a site I do trust), Nathan has noted that:

Sony removed the ereader section from their website entirely. Sony appears to be updating their website design again and now all links to Sony Readers are missing from all the menus and sub-sections.

In fact the only way to find listings for Sony Readers is to run a search for them specifically, and even when you do that all the ereaders are labeled as discontinued. ...

I think that this is the end of the Sony Reader, at least in the US.

So I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a 13" Sony ereader.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Yeah.  Goodereader has the same story. Canada, Europe and Japan (where the trials are taking place) only for Sony.

http://goodereader.com/blog/electronic-readers/sony-abandons-the-ereader-market-in-the-united-states

Freedom is not free.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

As an eReader, a little too big for my taste. As a multimedia computing tablet in replace of a laptop probably a good size.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Personally, I think it's a much better size. 9-10 inches is the absolute WRONG size IMO as it's too big to fit in one's pocket and too small for magazine- or textbook-size text and diagrams. At under 13 ounces, it's also lighter than the new iPad. The only problem I see is the limitation of B&W/grayscale makes it less useful for reading magazines or science/engineering textbooks.
Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The right size all depends on what you want it for.  It would be horrible for someone like me, who reads books and isn't interested in magazines or PDFs.  It's just too big, I lose the portability of the 6" ereader to gain screen real estate that I wouldn't need.  But for someone who reads magazines and PDFs that don't rely on color this would be a good device, it solves the zoom issue by being able to display the full image likely at the proper size. 

I would like to see an ereader that is closer to approximating the current mass market page, the 6" screen is the closest, though I think 6.8 or 7 would be better.  Is it a game breaker for me?  Nope. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Omnigeek: Personally, I think it's a much better size. 9-10 inches is the absolute WRONG size IMO as it's too big to fit in one's pocket and too small for magazine- or textbook-size text and diagrams.

Funny how "perfect" for one person isn't for the next.  :smileysurprised:)

To me, 13" sounds way too big and the 8"/9" tablets like the HD+ are pretty much the perfect size. They're a little less convenient for carrying around than the 7" models, but the larger screen is easier for reading and the device still fits in my purse.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep as pointed out my old Nook Color with cover just reaches a tad bulky mark for my needs.

I wouldn't scoff a 8" if it was thinner and lighter than my nook color. 9" Hmmm seems no longer really that portable.

And I will Not Carry a Purse! :-)
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Me: Funny how "perfect" for one person isn't for the next.  :smileysurprised:)

That little guy is supposed to be a smiley face made out of text characters . I like my text smilies to have noses so I always put a lowercase "o" between the colon and the parenthesis - like this, except with no spaces between the characters  --> : o )

Unfortunately, that doesn't work well when the site automatically transforms those characters into pictures. Sigh.