Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Starbucks

My son-in-law had to drop my daughter's car at the dealership this morning for service.  I followed him and picked him up at the dealership before going to breakfast.  On our way, we drove past a free-standing Starbucks near the auto dealership.  There were eight vehicles in line at the drive-thru.  It was 9:40 AM local time.

 

When we finished breakfast, we wanted a Starbucks coffee beverage.  Recalling the length of the line at the drive-thru, we went to our local supermarket to the Starbucks inside.  There were two customers ahead of us, so we stood in line there, also.  It was about 10:30 AM.

 

Two Starbucks closed down several years ago in our area (within a 3-mile radius).  Neither of them had a drive-thru.  In this area at least, the drive-thrus seem to make a big difference to the success or failure of an individual store.  In this area, I don't believe that a significant percentage of business at the B&N in-store Starbucks coffee shops comes from people "dropping in" to pick up a Latte on their way to and from work, or at lunch.  Some, to be sure, but not a significant amount.  This is, of course, not a scientific study.  Only an observation. 

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,814
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Starbucks


deesy58 wrote:

My son-in-law had to drop my daughter's car at the dealership this morning for service.  I followed him and picked him up at the dealership before going to breakfast.  On our way, we drove past a free-standing Starbucks near the auto dealership.  There were eight vehicles in line at the drive-thru.  It was 9:40 AM local time.

 

When we finished breakfast, we wanted a Starbucks coffee beverage.  Recalling the length of the line at the drive-thru, we went to our local supermarket to the Starbucks inside.  There were two customers ahead of us, so we stood in line there, also.  It was about 10:30 AM.

 

Two Starbucks closed down several years ago in our area (within a 3-mile radius).  Neither of them had a drive-thru.  In this area at least, the drive-thrus seem to make a big difference to the success or failure of an individual store.  In this area, I don't believe that a significant percentage of business at the B&N in-store Starbucks coffee shops comes from people "dropping in" to pick up a Latte on their way to and from work, or at lunch.  Some, to be sure, but not a significant amount.  This is, of course, not a scientific study.  Only an observation. 


When I'm in Seattle for work, the closest Starbucks to the office is Starbucks attached to a BN. (Not a cafe).  That Starbucks is packed in the morning with folks stopping off to get coffee.  It does not have a drive thru.

 

I've noticed at the Starbucks I stop at in the morning on the way to my normal office, the later in the morning, the more people that are inside.  If I stop between 6-6:30, there's not a lot of folks inside.  If I stop nearer to 7:30, there's a line at the drive thru, there's a line inside and the tables are filled.  When I drive past in the afternoon, the tables outside are generally pretty full with groups of people sitting and drinking coffee/tea, and chatting.   The parking lot is usually pretty full also.

 

Most of the Starbucks I stop at, except for early morning when folks are on their way to work, have a number of people sitting inside and outside, drinking coffee and reading books/magazines/newspapers.'

 

The Starbucks attached to my local BN (again, not a cafe) is always packed, I don't know that I've ever been able to find a place to sit at that one, inside or out, regardless of the time of day.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Starbucks


bklvr896 wrote:

When I'm in Seattle for work, the closest Starbucks to the office is Starbucks attached to a BN. (Not a cafe).  That Starbucks is packed in the morning with folks stopping off to get coffee.  It does not have a drive thru.

 

I've noticed at the Starbucks I stop at in the morning on the way to my normal office, the later in the morning, the more people that are inside.  If I stop between 6-6:30, there's not a lot of folks inside.  If I stop nearer to 7:30, there's a line at the drive thru, there's a line inside and the tables are filled.  When I drive past in the afternoon, the tables outside are generally pretty full with groups of people sitting and drinking coffee/tea, and chatting.   The parking lot is usually pretty full also.

 

Most of the Starbucks I stop at, except for early morning when folks are on their way to work, have a number of people sitting inside and outside, drinking coffee and reading books/magazines/newspapers.'

 

The Starbucks attached to my local BN (again, not a cafe) is always packed, I don't know that I've ever been able to find a place to sit at that one, inside or out, regardless of the time of day.


When I was working in California, I had a boss who was a Senior Vice President (emphasis on Senior).  He always, ALWAYS had a Starbucks venti container with him.  He took it literally everywhere as though it was a badge of honor, or a part of his uniform.  So I know that Starbucks is considered by some to be a sort of status symbol. 

 

In addition, when the weather was good, he was fond of holding impromptu meetings at a local Starbucks where we sat at the tables outside and conducted company business.  He loved it, but it was an inconvenience to others, especially those who did not drink coffee or tea products. 

 

Where I live, there are a lot of Starbucks stores located all around the city.  If consumers find one of them to be inconvenient, they simply go to a different one.  Those without drive-thrus seem to be closing down.  I can't imagine, however, what benefits bookstores might enjoy if they were to try to install drive-thrus in their Starbucks. 

 

I will make a point of visiting my favorite B&N bookstore in the morning to see how busy the Starbucks might be.  Perhaps I will do it tomorrow.  It's located in a strip mall, so coffee drinkers have other options for their caffeine fix.  The American people never cease to fascinate me with their consumer demands.  I paid $4.25 for a Hazel Nut Macchiato this morning.  Is that just crazy, or what?  :smileysurprised:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,638
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Starbucks

SEATTLE–After a decade of aggressive expansion throughout North America and abroad, Starbucks suddenly and unexpectedly closed its 2,870 worldwide locations Monday to prepare for what company insiders are calling "Phase Two" of the company's long-range plan.

 

"Starbucks has completed the coffee-distribution and location establishment phase of its operation, and is now ready to move into Phase Two," read a statement from Cynthia Vahlkamp, Starbucks' chief marketing officer. "We have enjoyed furnishing you with coffee-related beverages and are excited about the important role you play in our future plans. Please pardon the inconvenience while we fortify the second wave of our corporate strategy."

 

Though the coffee chain's specific plans are not known, existing Starbucks franchises across the nation have been locked down with titanium shutters across all windows. In each coffee shop's door hangs the familiar Starbucks logo, slightly altered to present the familiar mermaid figure as a cyclopean mermaid whose all-seeing eye forms the apex of a world-spanning pyramid...

 

- http://www.theonion.com/articles/starbucks-to-begin-sinister-phase-two-of-operation,416/

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Starbucks


roustabout wrote:

SEATTLE–After a decade of aggressive expansion throughout North America and abroad, Starbucks suddenly and unexpectedly closed its 2,870 worldwide locations Monday to prepare for what company insiders are calling "Phase Two" of the company's long-range plan.

 

"Starbucks has completed the coffee-distribution and location establishment phase of its operation, and is now ready to move into Phase Two," read a statement from Cynthia Vahlkamp, Starbucks' chief marketing officer. "We have enjoyed furnishing you with coffee-related beverages and are excited about the important role you play in our future plans. Please pardon the inconvenience while we fortify the second wave of our corporate strategy."

 

Though the coffee chain's specific plans are not known, existing Starbucks franchises across the nation have been locked down with titanium shutters across all windows. In each coffee shop's door hangs the familiar Starbucks logo, slightly altered to present the familiar mermaid figure as a cyclopean mermaid whose all-seeing eye forms the apex of a world-spanning pyramid...

 

- http://www.theonion.com/articles/starbucks-to-begin-sinister-phase-two-of-operation,416/


You are aware, I assume, that The Onion is a satirical Web site that aims to be humorous with outrageously non-believable "press releases."

 

Fox News Channel has been caught passing on these releases as real news.  I assume that roustabout has tongue in cheek when passing this information along.  :smileylol:

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,638
Registered: ‎03-31-2011

Re: Starbucks

Heresy. I found it on the internet; therefore it is True, quod erat demonstratum.
"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,756
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Starbucks

*nods* And Kim Jong-Un is the world's most handsome man.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,927
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Starbucks

I'm so glad someone was here to set us straight.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Starbucks

I visited my favorite B&N book store this morning to purchase a book, and to resolve the $9.99 overcharge I had been assessed a week ago.  I arrived about five minutes before the store opened at 9:00 AM.  There were 11 people waiting outside the store for the doors to be unlocked, and there were several more waiting in or next to their vehicles.  I was the 12th person to enter the store, and I went immediately to the cafe to purchase a coffee beverage.  There were two customers ahead of me, and after I had paid for my beverage, there were an additional six customers in line. 

The cafe is fairly large, with 19 tables that seat two, and an additional six tables that seat four.  It is very open with only a low and open fence with two wide openings separating it from the store proper.  The entire store is visible from the cafe.  It serves Starbucks brand coffee products.  One man immediately took the table next to the electrical outlets and began recharging his laptop computer.  About an hour later, another man came in and sat at the table next to him and, also, began charging his laptop.  They both made purchases from the cafe, but not from the book or magazine sections.  

By 9:30 AM, there were 11 people sitting in the cafe, and all but one had made a purchase of some sort of beverage, and a cookie or scone.  One man came in right at opening, sat at a corner table for 45 or 50 minutes working on his laptop computer, then left without making any sort of purchase.  Another brought his newspaper with him and read it while he drank his coffee and ate his cookie.  Three tables appeared to be used by people who were socializing, but they had all made cafe purchases. 

A man and a boy (presumably his son) came in at about 9:30 AM and walked straight to the magazine rack.  They sat in the cafe for more than a half hour reading the magazines (including a news magazine) and folding them back on themselves.  They left without buying anything at all.  Another woman fetched a stack of magazines and sat leafing through them while taking copious notes by hand in a notebook she carried.  I did not see her make any purchases at all.  In fact, I believe that I was the only customer in the cafe for the first hour and a half that made a purchase from the book or magazine sections of the store ($22.99).  When I left at 10:30 AM, some of the people who had come in at 9:00 AM were still there.  I would not have stayed as long as I did except that the Store Manager had problems correcting the overcharge error from a week ago. 

It was interesting to note that the price of my beverage was ten cents higher at the B&N than at a Starbucks in my local supermarket.  It was also interesting that I saw no customers simply enter the cafe, make a purchase, then leave with it.  Everybody who made a purchase sat at the tables, or took their beverages elsewhere in the store.  It appear that commuters did not make up any part of the cafe's customers this morning. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
Posts: 2,486
Registered: ‎01-22-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Starbucks


roustabout wrote:
Heresy. I found it on the internet; therefore it is True, quod erat demonstratum.

If you use the common abbreviation Q.E.D., you won't be as likely to misspell one of the words.  :smileylol: