Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Survey: 1/3 of e-book readers admit to using gadgets to hide that they're reading erotic novels

Interesting Daily Mail survey results indicating ebook reader ownersreading material they normally wouldn't be caught dead with:

One in five said they would be so ashamed of their collection that if they were to lose their ebook reader they would not claim it back.

But the results also showed that 71 per cent of books on the shelves of those who responded were autobiographies, political memoirs, and other non-fiction titles - but those categories accounted for just 14 per cent of e-books read by those surveyed. 

Gizmodo notes that authors are tuning into this trend. The future of reading is apparently YA and erotica. Oh, and SciFi (sheesh).

MacMcK1957

Re: Survey: 1/3 of e-book readers admit to using gadgets to hide that they're reading erotic novels

[ Edited ]

The trick of course is to use Calibre to update all your metadata.

Fifty Shades of Gray? I would never read such a book. This is Pride and PrejudiceNaughty Nurses on Holiday?  Nonsense.  This is Grapes of Wrath.

Just fix the title and cover art to something dry and respectable.  Nobody finding your Nook is likely to open it.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Survey: 1/3 of e-book readers admit to using gadgets to hide that they're reading erotic novels

MacMcK1957 wrote:

The trick of course is to use Calibre to update all your metadata.

Fifty Shades of Gray? I would never read such a book. This is Pride and PrejudiceNaughty Nurses on Holiday?  Nonsense.  This is Grapes of Wrath.

Just fix the title and cover art to something dry and respectable.  Nobody finding your Nook is likely to open it.

LOL!

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Not that I would ever read such books, you understand, although I believe the Pulitzer committee labeled Naughty Nurses as a fascinating allegory on the inhumanity of the modern world.

keriflur
0 Kudos

I would never read Fifty Shades as I object to someone becoming a millionaire off of someone else's work, regardless of whether that someone else is already a millionaire.  And I object to someone using the backs of the someone else's fans as a stepping stone, taking advantage of the fan fiction community (which has a policy of free critique for free work, NEVER to be charged for), and using the controversy generated by poor ethics to sell books.

Now, Naughty Nurses on Holiday, that I would read.  :smileywink:

keriflur

bobstro wrote:

Gizmodo notes that authors are tuning into this trend. The future of reading is apparently YA and erotica. Oh, and SciFi (sheesh).

All this really means is that the amount of not-so-great writing in these genres will increase, and it will be harder to sift through and find the good stuff.  This has already happened with YA, as for the last few years it's been one of the only growing genres.  This is why I look to book bloggers, authors, and professional reviewers - I don't want to have to sift through it all myself.

I don't forsee really great mystery, thriller and literary writers suddenly deciding to write erotica, though the genre could use the talent.

bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

All this really means is that the amount of not-so-great writing in these genres will increase, and it will be harder to sift through and find the good stuff.  This has already happened with YA, as for the last few years it's been one of the only growing genres.

I agree there's a lot of chaff out there. Searching for $0.00 titles on B&N is particularly disheartening. I think what's changing is that the public is buying (and presumably reading) more of this stuff. It seems a bit like reality TV meets reading. Once upon a time, nobody would admit to watching the stuff. Now it's the lead story on the evening news.

This is why I look to book bloggers, authors, and professional reviewers - I don't want to have to sift through it all myself.

Is that perhaps the new publisher role? A middle man, not for what gets published, but for what's worth reading?

I don't forsee really great mystery, thriller and literary writers suddenly deciding to write erotica, though the genre could use the talent.

If Internet history is any indicator, look for mash-ups and crossovers real soon!

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I understand there is already a huge amount of erotica fanfic based on all sorts of material, books, movies, TV series, whatever.  Fifty Shades started that way but after it became popular the author changed the character names to avoid copyright infringement.  I haven't read that one myself but most amateur erotica is excruciatingly bad, being simply the author writing down their own fantasies.  Expect more of it, as such writers get encouraged by the success of this series.

Edit: Of course, if it starts to look like it really may be profitable, maybe some of us should get together and work on actually putting together Naughty Nurses on Holiday.  A quick check finds that the title seems to be, surprisingly, unused.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

keriflur wrote:

This is why I look to book bloggers, authors, and professional reviewers - I don't want to have to sift through it all myself.

Is that perhaps the new publisher role? A middle man, not for what gets published, but for what's worth reading?

There are only a handful of intrepid book bloggers that review self-pub.  Most bloggers are still using the pubs as a filter as even they don't want to step into the chaos.  And, unfortunately, those that I know of that DO review self-pub, I know of because some author has had a meltdown on their site.

I see the self-pub book blogger as volunteering to take on the role of an editorial intern.  They're effectively reading slush.  It's an exhausting and often thankless job that can, in some cases, result in hate mail (and for book bloggers, public author meltdowns).  So it's not surprising that there aren't more bloggers doing it.

It's a shame, as readers can't trust reviews with the number of authors attempting to game the system.  Maybe a conglomerate of book bloggers working together could provide a large enough force to bring in decent ad revenue (meaning not penny-click ads, but actually selling media space).  I don't know.

MacMcK1957

keriflur wrote:

I see the self-pub book blogger as volunteering to take on the role of an editorial intern.  They're effectively reading slush...

Mountains and mountains of slush, growing geometrically.  I don't see how anyone can even make a start on it.  There has to be some sort of filter before you start, but what would that filter be?  Somewhere in that slush pile may be the next Hemingway, but you know that most of it would get an F in an 8th-grade creative writing course.