Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
MeredithAngel
0 Kudos

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time & Murphy's Boy -- HELP

I need some input from people who have read these books! Or at least one of the two! I am a senior in High School & it is required for us to do a senior project. We get to choose our topic, & I chose Autistic Children because I want to work with autistic children in the future.

I am debating on reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon or Murphey's Boy, by Torey Hayden.

To be honest, I've never really enjoyed sitting down & reading a book. Math is definitely more my thing. So I really need a book that will keep me interested! I would really like anyone's opinion on either books to help make my decision easier!

Also, I need to be 100% positive that the child, within both books, has autism. I've tried to look it up, but I have not come across an answer to be confident in.

To sum it up, I need answers for the falling questions!

1. Which book did you like/dislike?

2. What did you like/dislike about the book?

3. Is the child within the book Autistic?

4. Anything else you'd like to say, I'd lovee to hear! (:

By the way,

Thank you thank you thank you sooo soo much! (:

Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

Re: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time & Murphy's Boy -- HELP

Sorry, Meredith,

But I can't help you with this, other than to say, if you plan [in the future] to work with Autistic children, you might want to try reading both of these books (if they have anything at all to do with Autism) and make these judgments/comparisons yourself.  Time to sit down and start reading, whether it's your "thing" or not....start now.  You might try reading the reviews and synopsis of these two books...Just a suggestion. :smileyhappy:  But, I'm sure if there is anyone out there that has read these books, they'll probably answer your questions for you.  Good luck!

MeredithAngel wrote:

I need some input from people who have read these books! Or at least one of the two! I am a senior in High School & it is required for us to do a senior project. We get to choose our topic, & I chose Autistic Children because I want to work with autistic children in the future.

I am debating on reading The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time, by Mark Haddon or Murphey's Boy, by Torey Hayden.

To be honest, I've never really enjoyed sitting down & reading a book. Math is definitely more my thing. So I really need a book that will keep me interested! I would really like anyone's opinion on either books to help make my decision easier!

Also, I need to be 100% positive that the child, within both books, has autism. I've tried to look it up, but I have not come across an answer to be confident in.

To sum it up, I need answers for the falling questions!

1. Which book did you like/dislike?

2. What did you like/dislike about the book?

3. Is the child within the book Autistic?

4. Anything else you'd like to say, I'd lovee to hear! (:

By the way,

Thank you thank you thank you sooo soo much! (:

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I am curious, Meredith - why are you focusing on novels?  Is this a project for an English class?  There are a number of wonderful books about autism and autism spectrum disorders that would be good to read if you're interested in working with autistic children:

Thinking in Pictures (Temple Grandin has a number of books)

Look Me in the Eye  

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
becke_davis
0 Kudos

I've only read one of the two books you mentioned, but I can highly recommend Mark Haddon's book.

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time