Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

The first bookless library:

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Re: The first bookless library:

I thought I read something about a California university building a bookless library a few years ago.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I wonder what those "stripped down ereaders" are?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I suspect it's likely a very locked down iPad since the rest of the hardware mentioned is all from Apple. 

I wonder how they would address the hacking issue, which I've read about in schools that provided students with iPads. 

I remember reading about this as a 'going to happen' story around, I think, May of this year.  A former co-worker tweeted me a link.  We made joke that it was the beginning of the end of an era.  Though one we had both foreseen as inevitable. 

We've discussed how ebooks are changing how we read, and if/when they will replace DTBs.  This article hits on one advantadge tablet ereaders have over traditional DTBs (and even 'enhanced' (for lack of a better term) DTBs that have audio built in.  The ability to teach reading at an adaptive level.  I think here you'll find the tablet ereader beats out the physical book.  I will admit I'm reading a lot in to what the article skims over fairly quickly, but I think it's ssomething already out there in the wild and something that will be improved upon. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The article mentions "... a children's reader, which is enhanced with activities that help learn to read", but I'm not sure that it's an adaptive system. Is this library, in fact, providing an adaptive learning system? A tablet is a great way to deliver such lessons, but unless you spend the money on the actual adaptive learning software and administer the system, the lessons won't be tailored to the individual learner. Not to say that electronic reading programs aren't useful on their own, they're just not necessarily adaptive to individuals.

The other questions I have pertain to availability of books that aren't in ebook format. Can the library assist with traditional book titles in the interim, if indeed older books aren't available as ebooks? What about inter-library lending?

New User
MrGrantClarke
0 Kudos

Part of me wants to LOL at that photo of the bookless library. Call me old school. I "get it" though. It's like people who had furniture to hold their cds and records. Music to me is just air now. No furniture. More space for? Paintings, kids art, etc on the walls. Reality of making things digital is that before you could hold in hand, now you can't. To me though, a bookless library means no need to ever visit. I do find the story puzzling, complexing, depressing and funny all at the same time.

I'm new and happy to be here!
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

I actually popped into this place on Saturday.  It's adjacent to the local muni courthouse and comes complete with a constable roaming around inside.  Lots of nice equipment in there.  There were about a dozen people in there, mostly kids using the Macs.

I played around with an iPad and one of the Surface Tables in the Kid's Room, then browsed their catalog.  The iPads in the Kid's Room looked like the standard software running on retail devices to me.  Maybe the devices they loan are different?   I was only there for about 15 mins as the person I was with didn't share my interest of books and tech and wanted to get out of that neighborhood.