Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Contributor
Coffeecat
0 Kudos

Tips on setting up a well-lit reading area?

Hey,

My eyes get tired really easily when reading (maybe because I have fluorescent lights?).  The problem with having a lamp on just one side of my chair is that the screen of the Nook is illuminated unevenly.  

Does anyone have any tips on setting up better lighting?  Is getting one of those clip-on lights worth it even if I won't be reading in the dark?

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Re: Tips on setting up a well-lit reading area?

Switch it out with a LED bulb. Softer more clean looking light, glare proof, better energy savings, will screw in your standard or compact florescent bulb slot. Been happy with the one in my reading lamp.

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

I've had to switch out a bulb in the lamp by the couch where I read. I had a new compact fluorescent bulb in there, but the light just wasn't bright enough. So I went back to the old style incandescent and it works much better. My eyes :smileywink: have gotten older & worn out!

I've also found a table / lamp combo where the lamp part swivels so I can swing the light exactly where I need it. Very handy.

cork_dork_mom
BN_Rick
0 Kudos

Hi Coffeecat, You may be interested in the Nook Matte Screen Film Kit. Here is a link on our website that will provide you with more information on the item.

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/nook-Matte-Screen-Film-Kit/e/9781615600632/?cds2Pid=35725

As you would with paper books when reading, take breaks to reduce eye strain. If you use eyeglasses to read paper books, you should wear them to read your NOOK.

The optimal reading distance varies depending on your eyes, but somewhere between 13 and 16 inches is probably ideal. You can change the text size on your NOOK so that you can read at an optimal distance. The light level should be adequate. Make sure you have enough light, and position your NOOK relative to the lights so that there are no direct reflections.

I hope this information has been helpful with reading on your NOOK. You may find these suggestions located in your user guide.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

cork_dork_mom wrote:

So I went back to the old style incandescent and it works much better. My eyes :smileywink: have gotten older & worn out!

I read a news article a while back that Obama has passed legislation to do away with incandescent bulbs. I don't remember the timeline, but it's like June or July, and there will no longer be such a thing as a cheap incandescent bulb. They will all be those spiral-type flourescents or LED bulbs.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

cork_dork_mom wrote:

So I went back to the old style incandescent and it works much better. My eyes :smileywink: have gotten older & worn out!

I read a news article a while back that Obama has passed legislation to do away with incandescent bulbs. I don't remember the timeline, but it's like June or July, and there will no longer be such a thing as a cheap incandescent bulb. They will all be those spiral-type flourescents or LED bulbs.

2012 - 2014 is the faze out. There simply will no longer be manufactures allowed to make them inside the US. And this change go back beyond the Obama administration, been in the works since the last 2 years in the Bush administration. It's just the Congressional blocks finally got removed. Only state still fighting it is SC, and that's because they have 14 incandescent bulb manufacturing plants; that were never modernized.

Problem is a lot of people bought the wrong compact fluorescent bulbs. They usually got the "soft white" version or bought the wrong watt for their needs. Want the equivalent of a normal ordinary incandescent 60 watt bulb, get a 100 watt (it still only uses 14 watts) bright lite compact fluorescent.

What I suggested however was the led bulb, night and day compared to the compact fluorescent. You can lump them together in energy conservation, but not light output. Led's put out clean bright light, period.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

What I suggested however was the led bulb, night and day compared to the compact fluorescent. You can lump them together in energy conservation, but not light output. Led's put out clean bright light, period.

Don't the LED bulbs also last a lot longer than the fluorescents? I  know my little LED flashlight is almost 6 years old and still going strong. Have only changed the single AAA battery once, and that lasted almost 5 years.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Don't the LED bulbs also last a lot longer than the fluorescents? I  know my little LED flashlight is almost 6 years old and still going strong. Have only changed the single AAA battery once, and that lasted almost 5 years.

WAY longer, approximately 10 times longer than an ordinary bulb and 6 times longer than a compact florescent. I say approx because personal never had one burn out yet. I have had 5 burn outs with compact fluorescents since switching household over 5 years ago. They also use as low as a quarter to close to half the energy of a compact fluorescent. Got one in the bathroom, 4 watts an hour. They also don't cause faster milk spoilage like florescents do. Not to mention if the delayed light up of the warming compact fluorescent bugs you, Leds are as instant as a normal bulb.

Their one and only draw back is the top quality ones (don't buy the substandard ones for pete's sake) is their initial cost. It's going down and expected to go down dramatically as usage increases. But a single led 60 watt equivalent bulb is going to run you around 4 bucks. Of course just one will save you 50 bucks or more in electricity that first year, so...:smileywink:

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

TiggerBear wrote:

Desert_Brat wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

WAY longer, approximately 10 times longer than an ordinary bulb and 6 times longer than a compact florescent. I say approx because personal never had one burn out yet. I have had 5 burn outs with compact fluorescents since switching household over 5 years ago. They also use as low as a quarter to close to half the energy of a compact fluorescent. Got one in the bathroom, 4 watts an hour. They also don't cause faster milk spoilage like florescents do. Not to mention if the delayed light up of the warming compact fluorescent bugs you, Leds are as instant as a normal bulb.

Their one and only draw back is the top quality ones (don't buy the substandard ones for pete's sake) is their initial cost. It's going down and expected to go down dramatically as usage increases. But a single led 60 watt equivalent bulb is going to run you around 4 bucks. Of course just one will save you 50 bucks or more in electricity that first year, so...:smileywink:

Do they work with dimmer switches?

TiggerBear

Nallia wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Desert_Brat wrote:

TiggerBear wrote:

Do they work with dimmer switches?

Ok had to go look that up.

For a LED to work properly with a standard dimmer switch you need a specific LED bulb designed for dimmer controls. They are more expensive than a typical LED bulb. So one's going take longer to pay for itself. but still a uber long lasting non toxic manufacture bright low wattage drawing bulb that will work on 5 dimmer setttings, is a pretty cool thing.