Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
hpgurly12
0 Kudos

Wanting to get a Nook, but wondering if it's right for me, and how I'm going to raise the money

So I love to read and I'm in the process of raising money by babysitting, doing various chores, and etc. But now that I have been looking at the kindle as well I wonder if the nook is right for me. Any help?

Contributor
ruthmolenaar
0 Kudos

Re: Wanting to get a Nook, but wondering if it's right for me, and how I'm going to raise the money

[ Edited ]

I have been debating Kindle sense it came out. Then the Kindle 2. Never much interested in the Sony Reader. Then the Nook came out and I spent more time doing comparisons.  This is what finally gave the Nook the edge, despite being a 'newer' (i.e. generally considered buggier) product:

1. I could go into B&N and see, hold and play with the Nook.

2. The battery is replaceable

3. I can add an expansion card

4. I can add my PDFs--I have a ton that I create both for work and grad school.

5. I have been able to redownload all the eBooks I had over at fictionwise for my elderly rocket reader to the Nook

6. Project Gutenberg

The only negatives I have so far are:

1. I cannot organize My Library or My Documents

2. I cannot figure out how to get the Adobe reader formats to work--YET

3. The touch screen is a little finicky AND I have long nails, makes hitting the right button difficult sometimes

So for me, the Nook was overwhelmingly the right choice.

Ruth--PaisleyCat

Inspired Contributor
PollyAnnaPH
0 Kudos

Re: Wanting to get a Nook, but wondering if it's right for me, and how I'm going to raise the money

I too did a lot of soul searching before deciding on Nook.  In addition to all the things that Ruth mentioned don't forget the ability to lend/borrow books.  Not all title have this feature but it's still one more positive for Nook.  I love mine. 

Pam
The early bird may get the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese.
New User
BCundiff
0 Kudos

I have got to say that I felt the same way when I ordered my Nook.  I have family that have a Kindle, so I am a bit familiar with it as well.  HOWEVER, I have never regretted for one second getting a Nook!  It is one of my favorite electronic necessities!

New User
Cosy
0 Kudos

Hi, I have been debating back and forth between a Kindle or a Nook. Last February I tried the Nook at my local Barnes and Nobles and found the page turns to be rather slow. However, since the last upgrade, I tried out the Nook again and it was much zippier. I plan on getting a nook in a few weeks after I graduate from College and will have more time to read for pleasure. 

Contributor
hpgurly12
0 Kudos

thanks! this makes my decision much easier and today I learned how I could download ebooks from the library and this makes my decision much easier

also, I am fairly new to the "my B&N" community and suprised at all the feedback I am getting so thanks to all who replied to this message

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

hpgurly12 wrote:

thanks! this makes my decision much easier and today I learned how I could download ebooks from the library and this makes my decision much easier

also, I am fairly new to the "my B&N" community and suprised at all the feedback I am getting so thanks to all who replied to this message

Welcome to the community!  If you would like more information about or help with the NOOK, there are NOOK boards here as well.  :smileyhappy:  You can find them here: http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/eReader-and-eBook-Boards/ct-p/eBooks

The first two on the list are specifically about the NOOK, the eReader board is about the B&N eReader software for the computer and other mobile devices, and the last is the ebook discussion area.

Distinguished Bibliophile
ABthree
0 Kudos

Here's a link to cnet's latest review of Nook:

http://reviews.cnet.com/e-book-readers/barnes-noble-nook/4505-3508_7-33786175.html?tag=mncol;lst;1

I've always found them to be objective and reliable, and they give a fair comparison with Kindle. 

I opted for Nook for the reasons other people have given here, and have been very happy with the choice.

Have fun! :smileyhappy:

+LORD, preserve the good in their goodness, and+
+in your kindness, make the wicked become good.+
-- St. Basil the Great+
New User
2837Employee
0 Kudos

I think the best selling point for the nook is that the store employees can actually fix most issues there in the store.  You wouldn't have to send it off to be fixed!

New User
doodlebugsr
0 Kudos

I got a Nook for Christmas and use it LOTS!  The only problem I have is the side edge keeps cracking.  It's right at the place where you turn forward a page.  Otherwise great.