Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Reply
New User
david95
Posts: 1
Registered: ‎04-13-2013

Website Complaint

I went to buy Bogle's Clash of Cultures online at B&N; the price was $17.46. I entered my zip and was shown a "PICK ME UP" button for my local store. Seemed like a great idea so I filled out the requested data and waited for an email confirmation. The email confirmation arrived with a sticker price of $29.

If you want to charge more for a store pickup please show me that price prior to my giving you all my data.

I find it hard to use your physical location after this poor online experience.

I will leave it to others to play with a possible more accurate rubric for your "PICK ME UP" button.

I easily ordered the book from a more straight forward website.

Thanks for turning me off of any future physical store experiences.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,762
Registered: ‎09-10-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Website Complaint

Joining a web site just to take a shot at BN is really low class. Did you contact customer service and attempt resolution? Was it an online special? Did you compare prices with shipping and sales tax included? Wasn't there a checkout process? I doubt you showed up at the store and were suprised, unless you just didn't pay attention. This forum is for discussion and for members to assist each other. Unfortunately you are seeking neither assistance nor engaging in conversation.  Your post is a childish whine. 

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
Posts: 1,000
Registered: ‎11-18-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Website Complaint

[ Edited ]

Did the competing website even have a local store nearby that provided the same pickup service?  I bet not.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,929
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Website Complaint

[ Edited ]
Looking at that title on the B&N website, the list price is $29.95, while the online price is $17.46. Do you lose an online purchase discount when you pick up in store? If so, it is a little confusing. I'd expect the discount based on where I paid. However, when I clicked the button to oick up in store, it does show $30 in the sidebar before you fill in the form. I suspect the OP just missed that. So why undercut the store like that? Why can't you pay online and pick up at a store?
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,756
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Website Complaint


bobstro wrote:
Looking at that title on the B&N website, the list price is $29.95, while the online price is $17.46. Do you lose an online purchase discount when you pick up in store? If so, it is a little confusing. I'd expect the discount based on where I paid. However, when I clicked the button to oick up in store, it does show $30 in the sidebar before you fill in the form. I suspect the OP just missed that. So why undercut the store like that? Why can't you pay online and pick up at a store?

Pick Up In-Store is a bit of a misnomer.  You're not actually picking up your purchase, you're reserving a copy to buy at the store. You then pay whatever price the store is selling it for. They could make that clear by calling it "Reserve In Store" but they haven't chosen to do that for some reason.

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,040
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: Website Complaint


keriflur wrote:

Pick Up In-Store is a bit of a misnomer.  You're not actually picking up your purchase, you're reserving a copy to buy at the store. You then pay whatever price the store is selling it for. They could make that clear by calling it "Reserve In Store" but they haven't chosen to do that for some reason.


This.

 

When you "Pick Up In Store" you're not ordering a new copy - a message is sent to the store where an employee finds a copy from the store's stock and places it on hold for you. As such, there are a ton of extra costs for that book - the cost of paying the employees, the cost of the shipping to the store from the DC, the cost of the actual physical building (and the associated utilities), etc. So, just as with anything, you can get it cheaper online because of the better margins.

 

It's a convenience thing. If you want something (regardless of what it is - some gadget from Best Buy or a chair from Home Depot or a book from BN), chances are you'll find it cheaper online. But you will be waiting for a few days for shipment. If you want something immediately you're going to have to be willing to pay extra because there are large non-zero costs associated with having it on-hand nearby.

 

Yes, it could definitely be clearer on the website, though.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
Posts: 4,814
Registered: ‎12-31-2009

Re: Website Complaint

This s true, there are extra costs. However, I've done pick up in store at Best Buy, where it was on sale online but not in the store or cheaper online and I've always paid the online price.
flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,040
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
Registered: ‎11-11-2009

Re: Website Complaint


bklvr896 wrote:
This s true, there are extra costs. However, I've done pick up in store at Best Buy, where it was on sale online but not in the store or cheaper online and I've always paid the online price.

Yep, because Best Buy has made the decision that it is better to eat the loss on that item in the hope that they can upsell you on higher margin products that offset the loss (warranties, accessories, etc.). It's a business strategy that does work for certain kinds of items (electronics), but not one that lends itself well to books (which are rather hard to sell a warranty for).

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,756
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Website Complaint

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:
This s true, there are extra costs. However, I've done pick up in store at Best Buy, where it was on sale online but not in the store or cheaper online and I've always paid the online price.

Yep, because Best Buy has made the decision that it is better to eat the loss on that item in the hope that they can upsell you on higher margin products that offset the loss (warranties, accessories, etc.). It's a business strategy that does work for certain kinds of items (electronics), but not one that lends itself well to books (which are rather hard to sell a warranty for).


I'd argue that getting the customer in-store where they are likely to impulse-buy additional books is a good reason to offer a true Pick-Up In Store experience.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,929
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Website Complaint

keriflur wrote:

I'd argue that getting the customer in-store where they are likely to impulse-buy additional books is a good reason to offer a true Pick-Up In Store experience.

 

I agree. While I can see why something in-store might cost more, a 40% difference is hard to justify, particularly when B&N is putting the store in competition with the B&N online sale. This is a real-world case where a customer already "captured" in-store is going to have to justify paying nearly double to buy a book in a bag to take home, versus simply driving home and getting it online. It's bad enough for B&N stores to have to compete with Amazon, but to have to compete with the B&N mothership really devalues the store.

 

B&N really needs to figure out what they want to be. Quit putting out discounts that don't allow one group of customers any benefit. Quit undercutting stores with "online only" discounts. Quit making customers feel as if it's ebooks or paper books, but not both. B&N needs to be about books, regardless of format or where bought.