Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Website Complaint

I'll admit to browsing in store and then buying online to get the cheaper price. With Goodreads' scanner I can scan the ISBN with my phone and add the book directly to my wish list. With the recent GR/Amazon deal, there are some obvious implications there. 

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

flyingtoastr wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Pick Up In-Store is a bit of a misnomer.  You're not actually picking up your purchase, you're reserving a copy to buy at the store. You then pay whatever price the store is selling it for. They could make that clear by calling it "Reserve In Store" but they haven't chosen to do that for some reason.

This.

When you "Pick Up In Store" you're not ordering a new copy - a message is sent to the store where an employee finds a copy from the store's stock and places it on hold for you. As such, there are a ton of extra costs for that book - the cost of paying the employees, the cost of the shipping to the store from the DC, the cost of the actual physical building (and the associated utilities), etc. So, just as with anything, you can get it cheaper online because of the better margins.

It's a convenience thing. If you want something (regardless of what it is - some gadget from Best Buy or a chair from Home Depot or a book from BN), chances are you'll find it cheaper online. But you will be waiting for a few days for shipment. If you want something immediately you're going to have to be willing to pay extra because there are large non-zero costs associated with having it on-hand nearby.

Yes, it could definitely be clearer on the website, though.

So you're saying that the cost of an employeed walking over to pick up the book and walking back to the pickup area is worth an $11.54 premium on a $17.46 book????  That's more than a 50% markup!  There is no way that anyone could justify that!  Sorry...

►Without order there is chaos◄
AlanNJ

flyingtoastr wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:
This s true, there are extra costs. However, I've done pick up in store at Best Buy, where it was on sale online but not in the store or cheaper online and I've always paid the online price.

Yep, because Best Buy has made the decision that it is better to eat the loss on that item in the hope that they can upsell you on higher margin products that offset the loss (warranties, accessories, etc.). It's a business strategy that does work for certain kinds of items (electronics), but not one that lends itself well to books (which are rather hard to sell a warranty for).

That's called offering service.  I've used it many times at my local Best Buy.  They've never offered to upsell me.  They just get my item and I pay for it.  

Your logic is possibly why I go into a B&N as little as possible.  

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

flyingtoastr wrote:

keriflur wrote:

Pick Up In-Store is a bit of a misnomer.  You're not actually picking up your purchase, you're reserving a copy to buy at the store. You then pay whatever price the store is selling it for. They could make that clear by calling it "Reserve In Store" but they haven't chosen to do that for some reason.

This.

When you "Pick Up In Store" you're not ordering a new copy - a message is sent to the store where an employee finds a copy from the store's stock and places it on hold for you. As such, there are a ton of extra costs for that book - the cost of paying the employees, the cost of the shipping to the store from the DC, the cost of the actual physical building (and the associated utilities), etc. So, just as with anything, you can get it cheaper online because of the better margins.

It's a convenience thing. If you want something (regardless of what it is - some gadget from Best Buy or a chair from Home Depot or a book from BN), chances are you'll find it cheaper online. But you will be waiting for a few days for shipment. If you want something immediately you're going to have to be willing to pay extra because there are large non-zero costs associated with having it on-hand nearby.

Yes, it could definitely be clearer on the website, though.

So you're saying that the cost of an employeed walking over to pick up the book and walking back to the pickup area is worth an $11.54 premium on a $17.46 book????  That's more than a 50% markup!  There is no way that anyone could justify that!  Sorry...

No, first off, it's not a 17.46 book, it's a $29.00 book, that's the retail price.  They're discounting it online.  And that's what B&N sells it for in the store.   The extra cost is limited to that employee walking over and getting the book, it's all the overhead associated with running a store.  Remember, you're getting a copy that was sent to the store, which has more overhead associated with it than getting a book online.  That's why I almost always purchased HC books online (back when I was purchasing printed books), because they were always cheaper.

That said, I agree that it's a misnomer and confusing.  As someone else said, it should be reserve a copy in store, not pick up in store, and they should very clearly state if you do this, you will pay the retail price the store is charging at that time.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

bklvr, Best Buy does 'match any online price' in store. So it has a true 'same price online and in store' type thing - provided you buy online.

Electronics are a LOT more competitive than books and Best Buy doesn't have any other option.

I think B&N should make it clearer that it will be the store price and not the online price.

Did the OP not have the option to refuse to buy at the higher price. If the OP was given that option, then I don't understand why the OP started a new thread.

It's strange. People don't seem to understand that running a store costs money.

I think things are going to get very interesting when Amazon etc. have to start paying taxes. Then an entire generation of customers who conveniently assumed 'there's no tax' on the Internet will start complaining.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

bklvr, Best Buy does 'match any online price' in store. So it has a true 'same price online and in store' type thing - provided you buy online.

Electronics are a LOT more competitive than books and Best Buy doesn't have any other option.

I think B&N should make it clearer that it will be the store price and not the online price.

Did the OP not have the option to refuse to buy at the higher price. If the OP was given that option, then I don't understand why the OP started a new thread.

I think things are going to get very interesting when Amazon etc. have to start paying taxes. Then an entire generation of customers who conveniently assumed 'there's no tax' on the Internet will start complaining.

Of course running a store costs money.  I don't think anyone is disputing that.  But whether or not the online price is a discount or the store price is a markup this particular example still has a huge discrepancy.

Amazon will be charging tax here in NJ soon enough as they're building a warehouse here.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they figure out some way to lower the base price so the taxes don't mean as much.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

AlanNJ wrote:

5ivedom wrote:

Of course running a store costs money.  I don't think anyone is disputing that.  But whether or not the online price is a discount or the store price is a markup this particular example still has a huge discrepancy.

Amazon will be charging tax here in NJ soon enough as they're building a warehouse here.  I wouldn't be surprised, though, if they figure out some way to lower the base price so the taxes don't mean as much.

Alan, Amazon started charging sales tax this year in California, and I haven't seen the cost of anything go down.

BN has always had a much better price for HC books online than in the store.  You could find hundreds of examples just like this, because generally, in the store, they charge the retail price, although they do (or did) discount the new bestsellers by 30 to 40% when they first were released, but after than, there was never much of a discounted price on HC books in store.  Again, which is why if I decided to buy a HC book I'd always buy it online.  I could wait the 3-5 days it usually took to get the book.

The pick up in store is a misnomer because I assume pick up in store means pay for it online and pick it up in the store.  Not reserve a copy and pay for it when I get to the store.

DeanGibson
Topics: 93
Kudos: 2,308
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

Yep, because Best Buy has made the decision that it is better to eat the loss on that item in the hope that they can upsell you on higher margin products that offset the loss (warranties, accessories, etc.). It's a business strategy that does work for certain kinds of items (electronics), but not one that lends itself well to books (which are rather hard to sell a warranty for).

Costco takes this to the extreme of having lower prices in the store.  Once, when they are out of something in the store, I talked to the manager and was told that web prices are intentionally higher, to get you into the store, and only buy online items that are not available in the store.

Nooks: 2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted;
    2 HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted (one for sale)
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

... because at Barnes and Noble, we'll beat any price. Even our own! Genius.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

. . .

It isn't Amazon, etc. who pay the taxes, it is we the purchasers.  The company simply acts as a tax collector and forwards sales taxes that are collected to the appropriate state, county or city.