Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Website Complaint

[ Edited ]

bklvr896 wrote:

Alan, Amazon started charging sales tax this year in California, and I haven't seen the cost of anything go down.

BN has always had a much better price for HC books online than in the store.  You could find hundreds of examples just like this, because generally, in the store, they charge the retail price, although they do (or did) discount the new bestsellers by 30 to 40% when they first were released, but after than, there was never much of a discounted price on HC books in store.  Again, which is why if I decided to buy a HC book I'd always buy it online.  I could wait the 3-5 days it usually took to get the book.

The pick up in store is a misnomer because I assume pick up in store means pay for it online and pick it up in the store.  Not reserve a copy and pay for it when I get to the store.

Why would you believe that whether or not sales taxes are collected might have anything at all to do with product pricing?  Consumers either pay a sales tax, or they don't.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

deesy58 wrote:

Why would you believe that whether or not sales taxes are collected might have anything at all to do with product pricing?  Consumers either pay a sales tax, or they don't.

Because people are used to paying Amazon prices as they see them on the website.  Now it's the website price + taxes.  Whether or not the additional goes to Amazon or the State it's still additional monies coming out of people's pockets that they're not used to.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

AlanNJ wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

Because people are used to paying Amazon prices as they see them on the website.  Now it's the website price + taxes.  Whether or not the additional goes to Amazon or the State it's still additional monies coming out of people's pockets that they're not used to.

Well, people will have to suck it up.  Sorry, no sympathy from me.  I live in WA state so I always pay tax at Amazon.

AlanNJ
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

AlanNJ wrote:

deesy58 wrote:

Well, people will have to suck it up.  Sorry, no sympathy from me.  I live in WA state so I always pay tax at Amazon.

I agree.  Honestly I'd rather see the State get the money if it puts it to good use.  But people don't usually care about that stuff in my opinion.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Deesy58 wrote bklvr896 wrote: Alan, Amazon started charging sales tax this year in California, and I haven't seen the cost of anything go down. BN has always had a much better price for HC books online than in the store. You could find hundreds of examples just like this, because generally, in the store, they charge the retail price, although they do (or did) discount the new bestsellers by 30 to 40% when they first were released, but after than, there was never much of a discounted price on HC books in store. Again, which is why if I decided to buy a HC book I'd always buy it online. I could wait the 3-5 days it usually took to get the book. The pick up in store is a misnomer because I assume pick up in store means pay for it online and pick it up in the store. Not reserve a copy and pay for it when I get to the store. Why would you believe that whether or not sales taxes are collected might have anything at all to do with product pricing? Consumers either pay a sales tax, or they don't. --------- I didn't say I thought that, AlanNJ did. I was responding to his post that I saw no evidence of price changes because of sales tax. Please make sure you quote the right person.
AlanNJ
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:
Deesy58 wrote bklvr896 wrote: Alan, Amazon started charging sales tax this year in California, and I haven't seen the cost of anything go down. BN has always had a much better price for HC books online than in the store. You could find hundreds of examples just like this, because generally, in the store, they charge the retail price, although they do (or did) discount the new bestsellers by 30 to 40% when they first were released, but after than, there was never much of a discounted price on HC books in store. Again, which is why if I decided to buy a HC book I'd always buy it online. I could wait the 3-5 days it usually took to get the book. The pick up in store is a misnomer because I assume pick up in store means pay for it online and pick it up in the store. Not reserve a copy and pay for it when I get to the store. Why would you believe that whether or not sales taxes are collected might have anything at all to do with product pricing? Consumers either pay a sales tax, or they don't. --------- I didn't say I thought that, AlanNJ did. I was responding to his post that I saw no evidence of price changes because of sales tax. Please make sure you quote the right person.

For the record I responded to Deesy58 since I realized it was my post she was responding to... :smileyhappy:

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Hmm.  It seems that I inadvertently deleted some text from the quotation.  Mea culpa.

I live in a state in which B&N has a presence, so I am always charged sales tax on my book purchases from B&N.  The way I look at it, shipping costs generally offset sales taxes, so for tangible products other than books, it all seems to even out.  e-Books, of course, are a different matter. 

California is ahead of the other states.  It won't be long before the other states will be demanding sales taxes from Internet purchases. 

Can you imagine the nightmare facing those really small businesses that operate out of their garages and spare bedrooms? 

I operated a small business in Illinois about twenty years ago, but had customers in Iowa, Indiana and Wisconsin as well.  I sometimes sold a bundle of services plus a product (software on a floppy disk plus installation and set up for a flat fee).  In keeping with Illinois law, I collected sales tax on the product portion of the bundle, but the state later ruled in an audit that, because it was being sold as a single bundle, the entire price was taxable.  I lost the audit dispute and was forced to pay a lot of sales tax to Illinois.  Naturally, I could no longer collect the taxes from my customers, so I had to eat them.  I shudder to think what might have happened if I had been forced to do the same thing for three additional states. 

Amazon won't even blink if they are forced to begin collecting sales taxes.  A very great many small businesses, however, might be forced to shut down. 

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Can you imagine the nightmare facing those really small businesses that operate out of their garages and spare bedrooms?

Frankly, those people are already using third-party software to handle their credit card processing, and it's not unreasonable to expect that the vendors offering those services would add tax processing fairly easily, based on the zip code of the recipient.  If every online seller suddenly needed the service, it would appear.

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

The actual collection amounts, as MacMcK1957 is not really an issue. The real issue remaining is what power to audit different state and cities will have. Very small businesses may still be exempt. Most likely a uniform collection rate for each state will be established and the state will be responsible for returning city sales tax's to the communities.

RHWright
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

California is ahead of the other states.  It won't be long before the other states will be demanding sales taxes from Internet purchases. 

Most states I have lived in, including currently North Carolina, have required residents to report uncollected sales/use tax from online purchases on their annual income tax filing for some time. It's just that many people ...ummm ..."forget" to report those amounts accurately.

The real change is states (like California) going after the retailers to collect sales taxes.

It's just another complexity to manage as we become a more electronically connected world.