Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Website Complaint

It's been my experience that the government tends to fail to support its teachers and social workers, choosing to waste funds that ought to be spent on paying those people what they're worth and giving them the tools they need to better do their jobs.  Would you agree with that, Pat?

patgolfneb

Re: Website Complaint

keriflur wrote:

It's been my experience that the government tends to fail to support its teachers and social workers, choosing to waste funds that ought to be spent on paying those people what they're worth and giving them the tools they need to better do their jobs.  Would you agree with that, Pat?

Yes, but it would be self serving. This trend is spreading. My concern is that those missed by it don't recognize it and dump on people not at fault. In different economic times people could quit, move to different jobs, much less freedom now. I truly believe business and government have re embraced the attitudes and values of the 1890's. The social contract negotiated over a 75 year period has been repudiated. Fair value for the labor of average workers and sharing the fruits with both workers and investors is no longer embraced by post Reagan era leaders who believe their own myth building and mis represent market principles to justify their entitlement to huge undeserved rewards.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Re: OT: my experiences

DeanGibson wrote:

Then there are regulations that contractors have to abide by.

A number of years ago, before PCs were common, those working on the Internet used what were called "dumb terminals".  At one place I worked, we used a number of these dumb terminals (those blue things made by ADM), and we leased them from a separate company for $70/month for years.  Once I asked, "those terminals only cost $700 new, why don't we just buy them and save a lot of money?"  I was told:

"You don't understand.  Since we lease them for use on the Air Force contract, we can recover the leasing cost in the expense portion of the contract, and we can add 15% for processing.  If we buy them, we can only charge the exact price we pay, we have to amortize them over the life of the contract (which could be canceled at the government's whim), and we have to show that we use them for no other (eg, internal) purpose.  There is no downside to leasing them."

Ah yes, the old days of the Internet, when connecting to London at 100 BAUD (intermittent, not sustained) was really exciting.

Dean, that sounds like a perfect example of private sector greed rather than an example of the private sector doing it better/more efficiently than government.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

Whoa, we have a twenties-something expert here.

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

Has it ever occured to you, Dean, that some people measure success differently?

You need to stop being so judgmental on people who have different priorities in life.

Has it occurred to you that someone who interrupted a high-paying career in computers to take a 40% salary cut in order to work for a charitable organization for several years because "he believed it was the right thing to do", and subsequenty successfully worked only 2/3 time by choice (despite full-time work being available) during most of a 40-year career, might know just a little bit more about "measuring success differently", that some self-righteous "expert" in his twenties?

The fact is, I've made a number of financially sacrificial choices in my life, in order to do what I want to do.  You know what I don't do?

I DON"T WHINE ABOUT IT.

I've previously disclosed the above in this thread, which apparently you've missed (or misinterpreted).  Instead, you throw out unfounded accusations.

When I cam back from that 40% cut to work in the regular software industry, I found out to my dismay that new employers were not willing to base new job offers on my previous (pre-40% cut) salary (despite an explanation), but made offers based on the 40%-cut level.

I thought that was tremendously unfair.  However, I didn't go around whining about it, not even to my closest friends.  I moved on, and in a couple years got my previous salary level back.

I am sick and tired of whiners, always blaming someone else.  No, I don't think most of business is ethical, and claims to the contrary (because I attack gov't) are just plain stupid attacks.  Especially so, since I've repeatedly insulted B&N policies, practices, and ethics on this forum.  I've given up on B&N as a company, not because their recent (and possibly future) products don't do what I want, but because I don't trust them as a company (examples on request).

There.  Now, have I passed your "litmus-test" of purity to be able to criticize gov't without being labeled??  From past history here, I really, really doubt it.

Oh, and as for "being judgmental", nowhere in my post did I condemn you or say you were a bad person.  That's what the word "judgmental" means in that context (John 8 if you care).  You have read some significant portion of the Bible, haven't you?

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kamas716 wrote:

Dean, that sounds like a perfect example of private sector greed rather than an example of the private sector doing it better/more efficiently than government.

The owner of the very small company explained it to me as just being much easier to deal with (no asset  justification paperwork).  Two owners, plus about five software developers.  After all, 15% of $70/month for about seven dumb terminals is only about $70/month total.

Plus, with a canceled gov't contract, they wouldn't be stuck with the terminals.  It's clear to me that the gov't regulations (intentionally or otherwise) were a strong incentive to lease equipment rather than buy.  It makes sense for contract work even without the 15% markup.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

I worked for a major aerospace manufacturing company in Southern California about twelve years ago, and I held the position of IT Director for an entire division of the company.  In that capacity, I discovered leases that were being paid every month on equipment that had been scrapped years earlier.  Nobody knew that the company was paying monthly leasing fees for long-gone equipment.  The leasing contracts had contained self-renewing clauses that were not known to the IT "grunts" who managed the IT assets and networks.  The company had paid these monthly fees for more than ten years after the equipment had been discarded.  The government was not involved in any way.  This was simply a matter of inept management, proving that the government does not have a monopoly on such. 

bobstro

Am I supposed to call out "Bingo" or not?
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:
Am I supposed to call out "Bingo" or not?

No, you are suppod to run one of your infamous scripts:

while ( this.thread().messageCount() < 1000000 ){
  if ( this.thread().lastMessage().userId() != "bobstro" ){
    Message msg = this.thread().createMessage( "bobstro" );
    msg.text( "Last" );
    msg.post();
  }
  sleep( 5 );
}

Do I have to tell you everything?

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro
0 Kudos

At this rate, we'll break a million in this thread... tomorrow.