Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: Website Complaint

[ Edited ]

OK, ha ha. Yo can't charge your state taxes to people in other states unless they have standing, forget the correct legal term. You must earn money, while physically present, (NBA players on visiting teams), have an ongoing presense, second home, business interests, property or be physically there, tourist or visitor, to incur tax liability. Any attempt to shift tax liability to or specifcally to non residents is illegal. This is not a new tax, the feds would be facilitating a way for states to collect already owed state taxes, unpaid by their residents. It says a lot about our level of civic responsibiity that avoiding taxes like this, and even worse companies like Citi Group, Verizon, Microsoft, Apple, Google, pay no taxes on over one hundred billion dollars profits annually that should be suject to taxes. In fact some of these companies make billions pay no corporate income taxes and get refunds.

Wordsmith
doncr

I'll do whatever I can within the limits of the law to reduce my tax burden, so why shouldn't corporations do the same?  If they break the law they should be punished, but I have no problem with a business exploiting loopholes in order to reduce its tax liability.  I think doing so is somewhat clever and something to be admired.

Besides, corporations never pay taxes. Their customers do.  If you start jacking up corporate taxes you'll only end up increasing the price of goods and services paid by the consumer.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,249
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Say again?

[ Edited ]

patgolfneb wrote:

... and even worse companies like Citi Group, Verizon, Microsoft, Apple, Google, pay no taxes on over one hundred billion dollars profits annually that should be subject to taxes. In fact some of these companies make billions pay no corporate income taxes and get refunds.

I especially like the "pay no corporate income taxes and get refunds" phrase.  Kinda redefines the word "refunds".

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Doncr, you have to answer one question to make your point valid. What are they doing with this money now? The answer, sitting on it or disbursing it for the benefit of a very small number of people. The myth of trickle down, no legitimate economists has found proof of its validity. This means the little guy supplies the profits and then pays the taxes corporations should have through their other taxes. The small guy could pay less taxes or receive proper government services, improved roads, aid to education etc.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,951

doncr wrote:

I'll do whatever I can within the limits of the law to reduce my tax burden, so why shouldn't corporations do the same?  If they break the law they should be punished, but I have no problem with a business exploiting loopholes in order to reduce its tax liability.  I think doing so is somewhat clever and something to be admired.

Besides, corporations never pay taxes. Their customers do.  If you start jacking up corporate taxes you'll only end up increasing the price of goods and services paid by the consumer.

When corperations don't pay their taxes the money has to come from somewhere else. So it's either stick it on the middle class or run a deficit. Or cut the social programs that the same tax evading companies are forcing their employees to live on because they're busy "creating jobs" (in offshore bank accounts).

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

Kamas, that is great f you live in Amazons home town, but why should I pay taxes to Washington? I receive no benefit from the majority of services taxes pay for there. The sellers home already benefit from the jobs, property, corporate and personal income taxes etc. Plus I can't vote there. To do it your way is patently unfair.

What if you were passing through and needed food, fuel, lodging? You wou would pay their taxes then.  And yes, you may argue the differences!

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

doncr wrote:

When corperations don't pay their taxes the money has to come from somewhere else. So it's either stick it on the middle class or run a deficit. Or cut the social programs that the same tax evading companies are forcing their employees to live on because they're busy "creating jobs" (in offshore bank accounts).

This is a point a lot of people miss or don't want to acknowledge:  Where does any business (corporation , partnership, Mom and Pop, or whatever) get it's income from?  Where do they get the money to pay their taxes or any expenses? The person who uses the product pays all costs of the product (unless, of course, you are talking a welfare state....in which case, we all pay until we run out of ot everyone else's money.

Freedom is not free.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

patgolfneb wrote:

Kamas, that is great f you live in Amazons home town, but why should I pay taxes to Washington? I receive no benefit from the majority of services taxes pay for there. The sellers home already benefit from the jobs, property, corporate and personal income taxes etc. Plus I can't vote there. To do it your way is patently unfair.

What if you were passing through and needed food, fuel, lodging? You wou would pay their taxes then.  And yes, you may argue the differences!

Yes, sales tax, gas tax, hotel taxes to nail travelers when I am there. When I order on the internet I am here, pretty simple really.

Wordsmith
doncr

flyingtoastr wrote:

What do you mean by "don't pay their taxes"?  If they aren't breaking the tax laws, then they ARE paying their taxes.  Just because they move portions of their business offshore to pay taxes in other countries doesn't mean they aren't paying their taxes.  It sounds like you're really saying, "As long as they aren't paying enough taxes so that the government can continue with unrestrained spending."

Again, nothing wrong with a business or individual trying to reduce their tax burden as far as I'm concerned.  As long as the loopholes are there, I say take advantage of them.  You don't like it?  Then change the tax code and eliminate the loopholes (good luck with that one).  To tell you the truth, I'd be happier with a flat tax so that it simplified the tax code and made everyone have some skin in the game. 

Of the options you've listed, running a deficit seems to be the preferred choice (aka living beyond your means).  A fiscal policy of printing money and somehow keeping the interest rate near zero so it's cheaper to borrow money than cut spending is an invitation for financial collapse.  I guess I'm fortunate that I'm an old geezer that will likely be gone by the time the poop hits the propeller, but I'd like for one of you brainiacs to explain to me how this is even remotely sustainable.  Sooner or later it's all going to come tumbling down.

Wordsmith
doncr

patgolfneb wrote:
Doncr, you have to answer one question to make your point valid. What are they doing with this money now? The answer, sitting on it or disbursing it for the benefit of a very small number of people. The myth of trickle down, no legitimate economists has found proof of its validity. This means the little guy supplies the profits and then pays the taxes corporations should have through their other taxes. The small guy could pay less taxes or receive proper government services, improved roads, aid to education etc.

It doesn't matter what they do with their money - it's their private property.  After they have met their tax burden according to the law, they are free to do with it what they please.  If you still think they aren't paying enough taxes, then get the tax code changed, but don't blame them for following the law.