Wordsmith
doncr

Re: Who is in control of the taxes

keriflur wrote:

DeanGibson wrote:

I'd say the following is a pretty big voting block for avoiding income taxes:  http://www.npr.org/blogs/money/2012/09/18/161337343/the-47-percent-in-one-graphic

I would like to know more about the households that make six figures and pay no tax.  How do I get into that group? :smileywink:

Ah, but it didn't say that didn't pay any tax - they said they didn't pay any INCOME tax.

If your income comes from mainly from capital gains, you may not pay any income tax but you'll pay cap gains taxes (which are taxed at a much lower rate than income).  You also won't pay the payroll tax on capital gains.

if it were up to me there would be a single flat percentage-based tax rate for everyone and everything.  That includes corporate as well as personal income.  Any tax cut or tax increase would go to everyone.  Once you allow politicians to start gifting or punishing segments of the population with targeted tax cuts/increases, you'll end up turning us against each other (where's mine???).  Our government needs to realize that as a nation we're all in this together and the way government funds itself needs to reflect this sentiment.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: Website Complaint

"Yes, sales tax, gas tax, hotel taxes to nail travelers when I am there. When I order on the internet I am here, pretty simple really."

Their expenses, taxes, infrastructure, etc. are there.

Freedom is not free.
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

gb18 wrote:

"Yes, sales tax, gas tax, hotel taxes to nail travelers when I am there. When I order on the internet I am here, pretty simple really."

Their expenses, taxes, infrastructure, etc. are there.

Huh? I am liable for my obligated taxes, theirs are part of their cost structure and included in the price charged me, as other posters correctly pointed out. We just disagree about avoidance. It boils down to is every one paying their fare share or are some, my position avoiding their share through lobbying of tax loopholes and questionable shifting of profits to offshore havens.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,857

Flat taxes are the worst idea ever produced by the conservative think tanks commited to screwing everyone except the rich.

If we had a flat 10% income tax, a person making a million dollars a year would have to pay $100000 in taxes. That leaves him a healthy $900000 to play around with. Darn, guess he can only afford two Lamborghinis instead of three this year.

Someone like me, who made a whopping $13900 last year, would pay $1390 under this new tax regime. That means I'm down to $12510 for the year.

To put it in better perspective, the millionare is bringing home $75000 a month with the 10% flat tax, more than enough to pay a huge morgage, buy the best food, and send his kids to the fanciest schools. Meanwhile, with the flat tax, I'm bringing home $1042 a month, barely enough to afford rent and gasoline, much less something like food.

Contrast this to (a well structured) graduated income tax. The millionare is now taxed at 40%, while I'm taxed at 2%. He still gets to run around with six-hundred grand a year (and if that's not enough, he needs to get over it). meanwhile, I'm only paying $278 in taxes, leaving me with an extra hundred dollars a month - not a lot, but enough that I might be able to subsist.

A flat tax burdens the poor unfairly. There's a good reason why the graduated income tax exists.

But then again, according to all the people who love the idea of flat taxes, it's my fault that I'm poor. It's not the fault of the (rich) bankers who melted down the economy in their quest for profits, making unemployment skyrocket and finding better jobs impossible. It's not BN's fault for treating their workers like disposable wage slaves. It's my fault - the fault of the 23 year old with two degrees, working on a third, who worked 1900 hours last year at two jobs and is still below the poverty line. Blame the poor person instead of the society that places profit on a higher pedestal than human beings.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312

Karl Marx revisited

[ Edited ]

flyingtoastr wrote:

If we had a flat 10% income tax, a person making a million dollars a year would have to pay $100000 in taxes. That leaves him a healthy $900000 to play around with. Darn, guess he can only afford two Lamborghinis instead of three this year.

Whose money is it, anyway???

Karl Marx said it much more elequently:  From each according to his ability, to each according to his need

Communism (with a capital "C") may be dead, but communism (with a lower-case "c") is alive and well (and I don't mean this forum or people in it).  I had to justify to my neighbors why their kids could not play softball in my front yard.  Their argument was "it's not hurting you" (which was wrong anyway;  I don't maintain my lawn to baseball park standards).

We live in an entitlement society, and it's not just limited to taxes.  Witness our thriving litigation industry.

When I was making really good money, I was paying much more in Federal income taxes than the average person made in total (pre-tax) income.  I didn't resent it.  What I do resent is those who go around blaming others for their situation.  Greed is a two-way street, from both of the rich and the poor.

What did I do for some of the years that I wasn't making good money?  Well, years ago, when I was making just average money, I took a 40% salary cut and worked for World Vision for several years, helping the TRULY less-fortunate in third-world countries.

People in this country (even the poor) don't realize how good they have it, compared to the rest of the world.  I could give a list, but people who read books might try reading about some of that, rather than some of the trash that B&N sells.  I'm not accusing anyone here.  I just saying that in general, people's values in this country are all screwed up.

Despite some politicians and most personal injury lawyers, there are no guarantees in life.  The events of the past week (both in Boston and in Texas) should teach us that.  Unfortunately, it will not.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,857
0 Kudos

Re: Karl Marx revisited

"Some people have it worse" doesn't excuse the way a certain political ideology treats the less fortunate in this country.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,312

Greed is a two-way street.

flyingtoastr wrote:

"Some people have it worse" doesn't excuse the way a certain political ideology treats the less fortunate in this country.

Nor does it excuse how another "certain political ideology" treats the more fortunate in this country without knowing the details of their involvement in charity work.

When apparently (see my link several messages back) almost half of the population pays no income tax, apparently that's "not good enough" for this other "certain political ideology", in which many (not all) continue a relentless class-warfare assault.

I'm retired.  I pay significant income tax on my retirement income.  In thirty years I will (hopefully) be dead.  In thirty years a few in this country will be wondering, "where did we go wrong?";  the rest willl continue to find someone else to blame.  There are lessons from history about this, but far be it for me to list them;  few are listening.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro

Re: Greed is a two-way street.

I vote for not getting into politics or religion. It's nice to come here and not here the shrill voices. Well, not hear them screaming lines that start with "all <whatever> are <whatever >. Nobody is just one thing, and you're not going to sum people up in one line any more than you know about the driver in front of you in traffic, even if he/she cut you off.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Re: Greed is a two-way street.

[ Edited ]

Dean, the weak point of your value is it presumes that opprotunity is truly equal. It also presumes that the market properly values various contributions. The final nail is that that political and economic power cannot be used to distort the process.  I would say that your value fails because all three of those tests are failed. Ultimately your position is employed as an excuse by the most fortunate for receipt of benefits all out of proportion to their contributions. Far to many see themselves as capitalist royalty. Their sense of entitlement, Romney is a poster child, far exceeds those they accuse of it.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Getting off topic

I agree with bobstro, we've gotten off topic.  This isn't the right thread for politics/religion.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716