Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: Getting off topic

I've been away at a conference so I missed the tail end of this.  First I want to give Dean ALL THE KUDOS.

There.  Now that that's done, I agree with Bobstro and Kamas.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Re: Website Complaint.....Taxing

Kind of old fight, but for thought on online taxes.....

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/04/20/3355965/tom-hudson-and-you-thought-tax.html

Freedom is not free.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's to late, the I pay my share it's the 47% that need to pay more group has spoken. No actual thought is allowed, after all Dean and Kerifleur have spoken, the rest of us can't possibly have better points than they do. In the USA respect for beliefs means conservative beliefs only these days.

bobstro
0 Kudos

But I want to be last!

Distinguished Correspondent
sparky_80
0 Kudos

Re: Website Complaint

Getting way off topic, but......

FT, you made $13,900 working 1900 hours??  That's only $7.31 per hour.  

Can I ask what your degrees are in?  And what degree are you currently working on?  Have you considered IT?   You seem like a very intelligent person.  I only ask because I am part of the recruiting team at my software company.  I can't get a Quality Assurance person (just out of college) for under $50K.  I lost a good entry level developer to  company that offered $75K.

If this is too personal, just forget I mentioned it.  But I hate to see smart people not get ahead in the world.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

My degrees are in social sciences, and I'm currently working on a Master's in Modern European History.

I also did a long stint as a physics major, but gave it up around Calc III when I realized that while I loved the concepts, I didn't want to spend the rest of my life staring at math equations. Same basic resoning why I've avoided going into any kind of computer science (or food service, for that matter) - it's something that I do as a passion, and probably would end up hating it as a job.

sparky_80
0 Kudos

FT,

Did I read that right?  You are passionate about computer science (a job that pays well, and is in demand) but won't pursue it because you would "probably end up hating it as a job".  If so,  don't bother reading on.

And it's too bad you stopped at Calc III.  That's where the fun begins.  Differential Equations was my favorite college course.  Abstract Algebra is a real trip.

College is about getting a good paying job or a position in a field you love.  In rare cases those sets intersect, but the laws of supply and demand forbid it.

Software development wasn't my first choice, but what I really wanted to do had poor job prospects.   I chose software and after a few years coding for a big computer company, landed a job writing software in the field I really loved.  Win-win.

My daugter really wanted to major in a field with poor prospects.  I urged her to minor in a program that had some promise of employment.   It turns out that she liked both and got a double major.  Now, she works in the employable field and volunteers in the other one.

You've chosen some hard areas to break into.  I hope the masters degree will open up some doors for you.  Good luck!

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

My main issue with high level calc was the trig that went along with it. I never took a trig class (skipped from Algebra II to Calc AB in high school), so I was never exposed to trig identity substitution until it was dropped on me in Calc II. So I struggled with that to begin with - then had a wonderfully terrible Calc III professor which sealed the deal.

I have heard from numerous friends that once you "get over the hump" of Calc II/III it gets much more interesting, so I'd still love to go back and finish my physics BS one day.

I guess I didn't really explain myself well. I really enjoy computer science. I also like stepping away from it. There are days when I sit in front of my computer for hours futzing around with my websites, and there are days when I won't even turn it on to check my email. I've had the same experience working at BN for the last five years - some days I love it, and some days I want to tear my hair out and pretend it doesn't exist. BN, for me, is just a job to pay the bills while I'm in school - but if I had a career where I had the same problem I would be miserable. And life is far too short to be miserable.

So I went into the social sciences, because one of the few things I never stop loving is teaching (though I'm aiming at college level, hence why I'm going for a doctorate in history instead of an education degree).

Backup plan is to be a lawyer, because apparently I never stop arguing with people.

So I guess my real thing is that by "passionate" I really mean "it's a hobby for me". Just like how some people do woodcarving or gardening as a hobby, I mess around with technology (or write, or cook, or any number of other things) just because it sometimes strikes my fancy.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Everyone I know has days when they hate their job and days when they love it.  This happens with every career, no matter what.  The question is how the balance falls - whether you love it more often than you hate it, whether the hate relates to a particular project/coworker/student or the career itself, and whether or not the work is fulfilling.

I've spent most of my life trying to find a career that would not make me miserable. I've worked on Wall Street, as a yoga teacher, a personal trainer, a software test lead, a business analyst, and a dev. I had a stint in health care, did speech recognition for AT&T, and worked in fast food. What all that has taught me is that whether or not the work is fulfilling is the biggest determinant of happiness.

sparky_80
0 Kudos

Thanks for the explanation.   My, you have a complicated situation!  Good luck in your pursuit of the doctorate.  How are the emplyment prospects for college history teachers?

If I can leave you with one last piece of advice....You say "some days I love it, and some days I want to tear my hair out".   That's how most of us would describe our days.  There are no perfect jobs.  

Best of luck!