Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

Welcome to the Community Room!

[ Edited ]
Hello everyone and welcome to the Book Clubs' Community Room!

While the rest of our boards are devoted to specific literary topics, this is a more relaxed board where you can hang out and post about whatever is on your mind. 

This board is also home to some specific threads that can be useful for a number of things:

• If you are an author and you'd like to tell everyone about your latest book, this board is the place to do it!  We've set up special thread just for that, and it's right here.

• This is also a great place to come if you're trying to remember the title or author of a book and you're hoping someone else can help you out - just post about it in this thread.

• If you're looking for some great recommendations on what to read next, than you should read and post here.

• If you want to talk about what you're reading right now, and see what everyone else is reading at the moment, then be sure check this out.

• If you've just put the finishing touches on your My B&N profile, or if you're just getting started but you want to see how others are putting theirs together, or you just want to talk about the different aspects of these profiles, this is the thread for you.

You'll also find great discussions for holiday gifts, the best books of the year, and several great video series' from our friends at Barnes & Noble Studio.

Got something you want to talk about but there isn't a thread for it yet?  Please go right ahead and start one yourself!

There are already a lot of great discussions going on in here, and a lot of great people to meet.  So take a look around and join in.  We hope you enjoy hanging out in the Community Room as much as we do!

Message Edited by Jon_B on 12-11-2008 01:21 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Re: Welcome to the Community Room!

Hi Jon..This is related to my 1st book club with BN. Jan 5th A Fortunate Age  discussion begins...How can I find out what time...and can I discuss in the pop up window...I want to be involved..so I hope you can help..Thanks , Susan. I do check the new Posts concerning  this ,maybe they just haven't posted the time...I am a bit neurotic about this...
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi VermontCozy,

Discussion of A Fortunate Age starts officially on January 5th (along with all the other book clubs that month) but we don't have a specific time of day.   So you are welcome to start discussing the book at any point on the 5th.  You could even stay up really late on the 4th and then post at midnight if you want!

As for discussing in the popup window, I'm not sure what you mean... could you elaborate?  

Jon

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Inspired Bibliophile
Vermontcozy
0 Kudos

Hi..Well I just want to make sure that I am on the same page as everone else...concerning A Fortunate Age..If u or anyone out there could just walk me through How to get Started Discussing ...I would be soo happy. I guess I want to set it up now so I am ready,or am I making it too complicated....Just a little help would be great.... Susan,Vt .........  the pop up window is directly below Submit post????
Kindness,I've discovered,is everything in life...Issac Bashevis Singer
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Assuming that you got the book (only those who got the book are entitled to post on that board) they will open the board for posting on Monday, January  5th.  They will set up several threads, which should be self-explanatory, for discussion.  Please be sure to observe which threads are limited to certain portions of the book and don't post spoilers in those threads!

Vermontcozy wrote:
Hi..Well I just want to make sure that I am on the same page as everone else...concerning A Fortunate Age..If u or anyone out there could just walk me through How to get Started Discussing ...I would be soo happy. I guess I want to set it up now so I am ready,or am I making it too complicated....Just a little help would be great.... Susan,Vt .........  the pop up window is directly below Submit post????

0 Kudos

Hi Susan, I see what you mean by the pop-up window.  That is just so that you can read the past posts on that thread while you are composing your reply.  Normally, on that reply page you only see the most recent post, or the one that you hit the Reply button for, and sometimes it's convenient to be able to see the whole thread while you are replying.  There is no live chat here; it is just a message board.  You don't need to set anything up in order to participate in a discussion.  Just come and read the posts, and reply to whatever you want, or start a discussion of your own.  Some boards allow you to create new threads, and some don't, so if you have any new thoughts you would have to post them on an existing thread.

Have fun!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
New User
PrincessMia100
0 Kudos

I need some help.

hi!

i'm PrincessMia100. I need to know, how do you make a book club on barns and noble book clubs?

Thank you if you can help,

PrincessMia100.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: I need some help.

Hi PrincessMia100

Welcome to the Book Clubs!

You can start up a discussion of any book you want by starting a new thread. 

First, scroll though this page and look at the list of all the different boards and see which one would be the best place to talk about the book you have in mind.  Then click on the name of that board.

Now that you are in the board itself, look on the upper left side of the page, just below where the name of the board is displayed - look for a link that says "New Message"

Click on "New Message" and write up your post about the book you have in mind and say a little something to encourage others to join in on your discussion... and there you go!

New User
A_Book_Nerd
0 Kudos

Hi. :smileyhappy:

I'm still getting to know my way around here. Are there any discussions about my favorite author, Jen Calonita? :smileyhappy:

"Be positive and spread it around. It's contagious and makes others happy. It also gives others encouragement." By Reviewer11.
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Hi A_Book_Nerd!

Welcome to the Book Clubs!  Based on your pen name, I think you'll fit in well around here :smileywink:

If you want to see if a certain author is being discussed here, look up towards the top of your screen - just below the picture of a bookshelf - and click on "Search Book Clubs".  This will take you to where you can search all the discussions here on the Book Clubs - simply enter the author's name in the search bar and hit the green "Go" button and then you'll get a list of all the places where that author has been mentioned.

I just tried it with Jen Calonita and it looks like the only posts talking about her are your own posts.  So there aren't any dedicated discussions of her here yet.  But feel free to start one!