Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
BookReader75
0 Kudos

What Are Some Great Classics You Have Enjoyed?

Well, I am new to the Barnes & Noble community, and I have been reading lots of the classics, and if you go to my Essential List on my page you will see I have covered quite a bit of the classics, but what are some from your reading experience that you enjoyed?

~Tristan Amaya
Correspondent
HannibalCat
0 Kudos

Re: What Are Some Great Classics You Have Enjoyed?

When I was in high school, before the revolutionary war, we had to read Great Expectations. Notice I said HAD to read it. Much to my surprise, I loved it and became an avid Dickens fan.  I reread it last year and still love it. I found a list, in an extinct magazine called "Books," of the 100 best books to read. I have four more to go before the list is complete. It includes many classics and some newer ones, such as Dune, Watership Down, The Invisible Man, etc. But the majority of the books were older classics. Many sites have this sort of list. Most are very similar and include the classics. I believe BN has such a list.

Dickens is still my favorite, but I have discovered many others I would never have read. If you are interested in them, check out the 100 books to read on this and other sites. It should take you a while to finish it, but it will be well worth it.

Enjoy!

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

BookReader75,  I read "Moby-Dick" when I was in college.  I read "A Tale of Two Cities" when I was a Senior in High School.

There are two classics that I have read on my NOOKcolor:  "Pride and Prejudice" and "Little Women."

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Although I've also read the "popular" classics like Dickens, Austen and Poe. I enjoyed the less mainstream and Greek classics by authors such as Jules Verne, H.P. Lovecraft, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Socrates, Aristotle, Plato, Aristophones and others.

I've noticed that nowadays, people have a rather lofty idea of what a classic is, i.e. Dickens, Twain, etc. But that category tends to change. The classics used to be the Greek authors, Shakespeare and his contemporaries, and then "recent" classics by Austen, Tolstoy, Dumas and others.

I have to laugh when I remember the young men in school who would say, "I've read all the classics," as a pick-up line; or the ones who carried A Tale of Two Cities or War and Peace and thought it made them look smarter. One boy carried War and Peace, but I noted that his bookmark sticking out from between the pages never changed position. :smileywink:

@HannibalCat -- I had a great laugh over your revolutionary war comment. One of my children told his teacher that I was "really ancient." If I remember correctly, I was 26 at the time. :smileyvery-happy:

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
BookReader75
0 Kudos

Ha, I have never read Great Expectations, but I have been wanting to get into to Dicken's works.  

As you are maybe the 50th person (exaggerations of course) to have recommended a Dicken's book.  I just started reading some of his novels, I am currently reading Oliver Twist, and will definitely read Tale Of Two Cities at some point.

~Tristan Amaya
New User
ETP30
0 Kudos

As a recent ereader. I am now reading my first classic of little woemen, and really enjoying it

Correspondent
pastorjeffcma
0 Kudos

Jane Eyre is one of the best books I have ever read. I love the themes of forgiveness, integrity, redemption present in this book. Fantastic!

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

<sorry for blanked post>

For some reason, a message I posted on Sunday suddenly showed up again in its entirety. I'm having trouble with posting on occasion, but this is just very weird.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

Little Women

The Hound of Baskerville

The Time Machine

Journey to the Center of the Earth

War of the Worlds

Tale of Two Cites

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.