Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you currently reading??

I just finished reading "The memory of water" by Karen White. This was a short and interesting read. Enjoyed it tremendously.
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

...just finished songs for the missing by stewart o'nan, the reluctant fundamentalist by mohsin hamid and wild girl by jim fergus. my next reads are we need to talk about kevin by lionel shriver, a pigeon and a boy by meir shalev and north river by pete hamill although not necessarily in that order.
twj
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

I just finished Flesh and Bone by John Harvery, a mystery set in Cornwall. Good story and the characters were really well defined.
Kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Frequent Contributor
Kourt
0 Kudos

Almost finished Twilight by Stephanie Meyer.... Love it!
Inspired Scribe
IBIS
0 Kudos

momgee wrote:
I just finished Flesh and Bone by John Harvery, a mystery set in Cornwall. Good story and the characters were really well defined.
Kaye

If you enjoyed John Harvey's writing...  he has two other Frank Elder's mysteries in addition to Flesh & Bone...... they are Darkness & Light and Ash & Bone.

I agree that Frank Elder was very well developed... a solitary, retired Detective Inspector in his hide-away in Cornwall... yet his investigative skills are in great demand....

John Harvey also wrote the Charlie Resnick series... they all take place in London. Charlie is less asocial than Frank Elder... and he is a very unique creation in the police-procedural genre.

I highly recommend them.

IBIS

IBIS

"I am a part of everything that I have read."
Correspondent
momgee
0 Kudos

Thanks, Ibis for the reco. I only just discovered John Harvey by putting in a search for Cornwall in the on line library, so this was my first encounter and I really liked the characters. They just rang true to me. So, I will be putting more of his on my tbr list. Did you find, though ,that they need to be read chronologically? Which series did you prefer?

Thanks again.
kaye
"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read."
Groucho Marx
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I finished The Magician's Assistant by Ann Patchett and The Vanishing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O' Farrell. They were both really excellent. Now I'm reading Spot of Bother by Mark Haddon and trying to finish Sister Carrie by Theodore Dreiser
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I just finished reading "dream when you are feeling blue"  by Elizabeth Berg. She is my favorite author always  but I had put this one away and hid it from myself. So its been out awhile but still it was quite a joy to hav eit to read. A great book about the second world war and it tells how it effects a family of eight in Chicago. It was exceptionally a dream of a book to me.  Sad but so so good.
Frequent Contributor
Mary1234
0 Kudos

I am glad to hear your comments. I was thinking of reading it. There is a sequel to it that recently came out I forget the name.

I am reading THE GRAVEDIGGER'S DAUGHTEER. What a bunch of crazy people. Dysfunction at the height!!!!

Mary
Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Mary1234 wrote:
I am glad to hear your comments. I was thinking of reading it. There is a sequel to it that recently came out I forget the name.

I am reading THE GRAVEDIGGER'S DAUGHTEER. What a bunch of crazy people. Dysfunction at the height!!!!

Mary

Mary, Elizabeth Berg just came out with a new book but it wasn't a sequel to "dream when you are feeling blue"  It was a book of shortstories about things like "eating whatever you want and women stuff. ha. It was cute and all, not serious like most of her books. Have you read "You all are invited to our home" That is such a winner of a book. A mother is in a iron lung trying to raise a child.   I liked the gravedigger's daughter even though it was dysfunction in the real definition. right!