Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you currently reading??

I've just finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers--a bit of a downer but well written. I have decided again that Oprah and I do not have the same taste in books.

Currently reading The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perotta--not my normal type of read.

Has anyone out there read The Palace Walk? I've stumbled across it and it looks interesting but would like some feedback.

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

Pjpick, I wonder why most or all of Oprah's picks have been real downers, almost always down and does not get up too well. ?

pjpick wrote:

I've just finished The Heart is a Lonely Hunter by Carson McCullers--a bit of a downer but well written. I have decided again that Oprah and I do not have the same taste in books.

Currently reading The Abstinence Teacher by Tom Perotta--not my normal type of read.

Has anyone out there read The Palace Walk? I've stumbled across it and it looks interesting but would like some feedback.

Frequent Contributor
heybaby
0 Kudos

I finished The Lucky One and now readind Your Heart Belongs to Me by Dean Koontz.

"The wonderful thing about not planning, is failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry or depression."
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

kiakar wrote:

Hi fforgnayr , Yes, I finished the Lace Reader and it was an amazing adventure. A real treat of an adventure.  This captures you from the beginning and will not release you not even after you finish it. I do not feel anyone would regret reading this book. This is Brononia Barry's first novel but you would never believe it by her writing. She is so precised and writes her characters so alive , there is no denying they are alive. 

fforgnayr wrote:

kiakar,

Please let me know what you think of The Lace Reader when you are done.  I head a interview of the author by Diane Rehm on NPR and the book sounded very interesting.  I just haven't had time to start it yet.

kiakar wrote:
I have read the "Fortunate Age" andnow am reading "The Lace Reader". I have gotten up to page 50 some and its wild. What an emotional experience this has on me! Wow! I will be getting right back to it!

Thank you for letting me know what you thought of it.  After listening to her interview a few months ago I almost bought the book but others caught my attention instead.  I now will go and get it soon.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I'm just finishing up The Emperor of Ocean Park by Stephen L Carter.  I have to admit it was hard to get into in the begining because I really didn't (and still don't) like the main character.  But luckily the story get me going and I'm finding myself really enjoying it now.  It is one of the few books that I like where I don't like the protagonist.  I was wondering if anyone else has read the book and if they felt the same way about Talcott.
"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Contributor
Sammah
0 Kudos

I'm currently working my way through the Sookie Stackhouse books (I'm on #2), and I'm re-reading the Harry Potter series. I'm on Half-Blood Prince now. I'm getting read to start The Boy In The Striped Pajamas.
Oh, come on. You heard them, just behind the veil, didn't you? They were just lurking out of sight, that's all.
-Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

kiakar,

I guess she's had more trauma in her life than a lot of us (definitely more than me!) and maybe she's drawn to it. Every now and then I forget about her tastes and pick up a book that was one of her choices and then I have the AHA! moment once I get into it. My copy of The Heart is a Lonely Hunter did not have the Oprah symbol on the cover but when I met for book club my friend's copy had the symbol and that's when I realized. We all thought the character development in the book was excellent but just found is so depressing.

kiakar wrote:

Pjpick, I wonder why most or all of Oprah's picks have been real downers, almost always down and does not get up too well. ?

pjpick wrote:

Contributor
LadyAlexis
0 Kudos

i jus finished Cross Country by James Patterson. Simply wonderful to read it didnt disappoint!  Now i need a good read. Anyone have any recommendations? I read jus about anything.. lol

"While I thought that I was learning how to live, I have been learning
how to die."
Leonardo da Vinci
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

LadyAlexis wrote:

i jus finished Cross Country by James Patterson. Simply wonderful to read it didnt disappoint!  Now i need a good read. Anyone have any recommendations? I read jus about anything.. lol

Well, I don't read James Patterson so I don't know if these will work for you. But you did say you will read anything. Here's five that are very different from each other:

• A Thousand Splendid Suns by  KH (I can never remember his correct name just initials.)
  • The Last Chinese Chef by Nicole Mones
  • Night of the Avenging Blowfish by John Welter (very funny)
  • Sarah's Key by Tatiana de Rosnay
  • Dairy Queen Days by Robert Inman

Can't wait to see what others recommend!

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Have just started Douglas W. Jacobson's Night of Flames a WWII Novel. Wow! I'm only on page 25 but he throws you into the action on page 1.