Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Scribe
debbook

What book are you reading? 2009 edition

I thought I'd start a new thread as the other has gotten so very long!

Anyway, I am reading Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather for LbW

and Sag Harbor for FLBC, though have yet to post there.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

[ Edited ]

Good idea!  I'll make the other one read-only and float this one.

I'm currently reading:

Lamentation by Ken Scholes

Harrington on Hold'em by Dan Harrington and Bill Robertie

And I'm thinking of reading The Inferno with Classics this month as well.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 02-28-2009 11:24 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
aprilh
0 Kudos

I just finished Sag Harbor last night and am now reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Very Valentine is staring at me from its place on my desk, waiting patiently for its turn to be read.
April
Inspired Scribe
djaq
0 Kudos

i just finished reading "The Indigo King", by James A. Owens. He is a superb writer! This is book III in his series. All of his books have references to other famous literary books, which is what makes this a fantastic read. These books are exremly unique.

"We could do pizza."
Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
0 Kudos

I'm reading Sag Harbor, by Colson Whitehead (FLBC), and The Language of Bees (ARC) by Laurie R King. Next up is another ARC, American Rust, although I think it might be out by now.
Sarita Li
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I just finished reading

Pandemonium one of the best books I've read in years.  Everyone should read this book.

I am also reading

A Great Improvisation 

and

Appointment with Death (Hercule Poirot Series) 

and finally.....

The Watchers Out of Time 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
SIWsLady
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

For the new year I started reading "Fiction on a Stick."  Stories written by Minnesota authors.  It is many short stories, written by Minnesotans, and the theme is the Great MN Get Together: State Fair.  Obviously I'm a native MN reading this book.  The short stories have great plots, wonderful characters, and many different genres.  I'm reading this book as it was a gift from my brother, who is one of the many authors.  Although I'm related to an author I do have to say that this book is a great easy read for a midafternoon.  I highly recommend it especially if you are a Minnesotan.  Many of the settings are familiar to me and the MN area.  That is what I'm reading right now.:smileyhappy:

Fiction on a Stick  

Message Edited by SIWsLady on 03-01-2009 11:34 AM
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Currently. reading When you are Engulged in Flames by David Sedaris. I enjoy  him much more on audio. The first time I read one of his books I just didn't "get him" and didn't even finish the book. After hearing him on tape I understand him a little bit better and am able to read him fairly well.

Jon_B and Ryan_G, how did you post your books like that (with the covers)? I really liked that, I'm one of those people that are teased by cover art into reading the back cover.

Message Edited by pjpick on 03-02-2009 11:00 AM
Message Edited by pjpick on 03-02-2009 11:02 AM
Frequent Contributor
Jon_B

pjpick wrote:

Jon_B and Ryan_G, how did you post your books like that (with the covers)? I really liked that, I'm one of those people that are teased by cover art into reading the back cover.

That's one of our new features!

Click on the "Add Product" button in the editor when you are making a post.  That'll bring up a popup window where you can search for the book your talking about.   Do your search and then when you see the results you'll see two buttons next to each book - "Add Link" and "Add Link and Image".  If you choose that second one, it'll put the book cover in your post.

It's a bit funky so you might want to play around with it for a little bit.  The main thing is to remember to put enough spaces between talking about your first book and posting the cover of a second book, or they'll get jumbled together.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

pjpick wrote:

Currently. reading When you are Engulged in Flames by David Sedaris. I enjoy  him much more on audio. The first time I read one of his books I just didn't "get him" and didn't even finish the book. After hearing him on tape I understand him a little bit better and am able to read him fairly well.

Message Edited by pjpick on 03-02-2009 11:00 AM
Message Edited by pjpick on 03-02-2009 11:02 AM

I LOVE David Sedaris!

I was really interested in adding book covers, too. That's so cool...

Thanks for sharing!

SL

Message Edited by Sarita_Li on 12-02-2009 11:12 AM
Sarita Li