Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Contributor
ellarogue
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

I just finished reading "Love in the Driest Season" by Neely Tucker - great great memoir! I actually reviewed it here: http://www.luxuryreading.com

Right now I'm reading "A Lucky Child"

Inspired Scribe
carmen22

So far so good and funny real brotherly love LOL!!! I'll let you know what I think when I'm finished!!!

Ryan_G wrote:
Carmen, you won't be disappointed.  I'm still blown away by the book.  It is one of the best books I have read in years.  The ending blew me away (I won't tell you anything so as to not give it away) but it's a twist that you will appreciate.  I also really enjoyed the pop culture refrences that are all over the place in the book.  The author said he did it in a way that they are more like Easter Eggs to the reader.  If you get them great, but if not that ok as well.

carmen22 wrote:

I just started Pandemonium and so far it's absolutely splendid!!!

Ryan_G wrote:

I just finished reading

Pandemonium one of the best books I've read in years.  Everyone should read this book.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 966
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

[ Edited ]

I feel I should put a listing here just to keep myself honest because then I'll feel obligated to finish things!

Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather (which is more or less done but is not "done" until the end of the month :smileywink: )

The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (Discover Awards Fiction Winner)

This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust (up for a NBCC award today)

The Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster by Alison Weir

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

The Good Soldier Svejk by Yaroslav Hasek (trans Cecil Parrott)

Little Dorrit, The Old Curiosity Shop, and The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens

Drood by Dan Simmons (which keeps looking at me, creepy)

I'm also reading through The Little SAS Book (4th ed) since that will help me do more/better things at work (ha!) and I haven't finished Sag Harbor for First Look, yet, because it seems to want to remain un-read (i.e. left side of brain says "you should read this" and right side of brain says "nah, I found something else to read now" ) - I'll get there someday.

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 03-12-2009 03:43 PM
Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

pedsphleb wrote:

I feel I should put a listing here just to keep myself honest because then I'll feel obligated to finish things!

Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather (which is more or less done but is not "done" until the end of the month :smileywink: )

The Well and the Mine by Gin Phillips (Discover Awards Fiction Winner)

This Republic of Suffering by Drew Gilpin Faust (up for a NBCC award today)

The Mistress of the Monarchy: The Life of Katherine Swynford, Duchess of Lancaster by Alison Weir

Revolutionary Road by Richard Yates

The Good Soldier Svejk by Yaroslav Hasek (trans Cecil Parrott)

Little Dorrit, The Old Curiosity Shop, and The Mystery of Edwin Drood by Charles Dickens

Drood by Dan Simmons (which keeps looking at me, creepy)

I'm also reading through The Little SAS Book (4th ed) since that will help me do more/better things at work (ha!) and I haven't finished Sag Harbor for First Look, yet, because it seems to want to remain un-read (i.e. left side of brain says "you should read this" and right side of brain says "nah, I found something else to read now" ) - I'll get there someday.

Message Edited by pedsphleb on 03-12-2009 03:43 PM

Wow Pedsphleb!

You are one busy reader!!!! I'm impressed (and a little intimidated lol) by your reading list.

I see some great reads here.  I'm particularly interested in the Well and the Mine.  I'd like to read that one, also.

Let us know how you like these books.  I'll be anxious for you opinion, so I can add to my lengthy to-be-read wish list.

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
New User
Sally_80
0 Kudos

i'm currently reading <a href="http://www.gurgle.co.uk/articles/Lifestyle/36496/New_gurgle_com_books.aspx"Pregnancy How to Enjoy It </a> to me it's like a suspense or thriller :smileyhappy:
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I just started this book and am really liking it. The author will be on the Fiction board in April, I think.

kiakar wrote:

aprilh wrote:
I just finished Sag Harbor last night and am now reading Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. Very Valentine is staring at me from its place on my desk, waiting patiently for its turn to be read.

April, You will never be sorry you read Very Valentine. I have read all of her books and they just keep getting better and better. Astonishingly, how can she just keep getting better, but she does!  Very Valentine is  about family and a very close family it certainly is. Valentine , the main character in this book is Italian, thirty-two and her family and friends are worried that she is not committed to marriage at this point. Valentine and her grandmother run the handmade shoe business Valentine's grandfather founded when he came here from Italy.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Those do look scary and mysterious. I just can't get into that genre:smileyvery-happy:

Sally_80 wrote:
i'm currently reading <a href="http://www.gurgle.co.uk/articles/Lifestyle/36496/New_gurgle_com_books.aspx"Pregnancy How to Enjoy It </a> to me it's like a suspense or thriller :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by debbook on 03-13-2009 06:59 PM
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Ryan, I bought a huge box of her books on ebay last year. I got almost all of them. I think they make excellent bedtime reading. Well, anytime really

Ryan_G wrote:

Now I'm reading another Agatha Christie novel.  When I get on a kick for her books I really go for it. :smileywink:

This is the one I'm reading now:

4 50 from Paddington (Miss Marple Series) 

Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

I'm currently reading and almost finished with Mister B. Gone by Clive Barker and I'm also slowly making my way through Inkheart by Cornelia Funke.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I love her books.  I am on the last one of the ones I have though.  I will probably buy another 5 or 6 in the next month or two.  I tend to buy them when the are on B&N clearance tables for $6 a piece.

debbook wrote:
Ryan, I bought a huge box of her books on ebay last year. I got almost all of them. I think they make excellent bedtime reading. Well, anytime really

Ryan_G wrote:

Now I'm reading another Agatha Christie novel.  When I get on a kick for her books I really go for it. :smileywink:

This is the one I'm reading now:

4 50 from Paddington (Miss Marple Series) 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com