Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition - update

No, I wasn't here two years ago. Did you ever read Sanditon? I just couldn't enjoy it knowing someone else finished it. I still enjoy reading Pushkin's stories even though so many were unfinished.

pedsphleb wrote:

I don't think so.  It's not ideal, since we don't have any clue as to how Dickens intended the story to end, but I'd rather have that than a "finish" added by another author.  Were you with Literature by Women when we read The Buccaneers almost two years ago?  All the published editions had endings added and interpreted from Wharton's notes and I really didn't like that; I wanted an edition that had the finished manuscript up to the point Wharton stopped writing and then her notes after that.

debbook wrote:
Won't it drive you crazy to read a mystery with no ending?? It would me. Unfinished books by great authors are tragic!

pedsphleb wrote:
I spoke a bit too soon yesterday - I polished off Drood in the wee hours of the morning.  Quite good and I think I'll add Penguin Classics Mystery of Edwin Drood to the lineup (I've never read it, strangely enough).  

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

debbook wrote:
I have that one but haven't read it yet. I thought I had read all her stand alone novels but I guess not. So many books...

Yea Deb,

Isn't it a beautiful thing???? So many books...so little time :smileyhappy:

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Inspired Wordsmith
silverwings
0 Kudos

I'm reading "Son of the Black Stallion" and "Great Expectations".
"I'm asleep, but that doesn't mean I'm awake."
Inspired Contributor
Kimbeey13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Finally finished up with Midwinter and now I'm going to start Confessions of Max Tivoli and 'A Book About Me and Them' by Joseph Hugh Cody, which I have been meaning to read for a long time now.  
Message Edited by Kimbeey13 on 03-25-2009 12:57 PM
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Currently reading, among other things, Steven Vincent Benet's John Brown's Body.  Truly an extraordinary poem (book length).  It deserves slow reading and chewing over, so it'll take awhile, but worth it. 

John Brown's Body 

Jonn

0 Kudos

I loved Great Expectations. That was my first Dickens. Are you reading it foer school?

silverwings wrote:
I'm reading "Son of the Black Stallion" and "Great Expectations".

Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I've moved on to a SciFi book now.

Hunters of Dune 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
Inspired Scribe
carmen22

I just got back from B & N and what a wonderful store it is!! I go in to by one book and come out with five lol!!!

I will be starting The Well of Ascension (Mistborn Series #2), Vol. 2 by Brandon Sanderson Today

As well as City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments Series #3)  by Cassandra Clare.

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Contributor
DreamerTink
0 Kudos

I am new to this site but I am reading Betrayed from the House of Night Novels from PC & Kristin Cast. The first book in this series was called Marked and I thought it was pretty interesting. The second book is getting to be pretty predictable. But I still like the overall book so I am going to continue reading it.
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Welcome DreamerTink!!

DreamerTink wrote:
I am new to this site but I am reading Betrayed from the House of Night Novels from PC & Kristin Cast. The first book in this series was called Marked and I thought it was pretty interesting. The second book is getting to be pretty predictable. But I still like the overall book so I am going to continue reading it.