Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

I bought The Shack a few months after it came out, and I'd read some of the reviews. I'm having a hard time getting through it; was it something that you were able to read through, or did you have to put it down and pick it up a few chapters at a time?
Frequent Contributor
learningdragon
0 Kudos

This online book club is new to me, too. I just received my copy of Deliverance Dane, and will begin reading shortly. I hope that your hand surgery goes well. I participated in the Sag Harbor discussion, too, but can't seem to get the hang of things yet. :smileyvery-happy:
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Ask any questions you want, people are more than willing to help you get the hang of things:smileyhappy:

learningdragon wrote:
This online book club is new to me, too. I just received my copy of Deliverance Dane, and will begin reading shortly. I hope that your hand surgery goes well. I participated in the Sag Harbor discussion, too, but can't seem to get the hang of things yet. :smileyvery-happy:

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Dancing to Almendra, Mayra Montero

The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane, Katherine Howe

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

• I'm currently reading The Hungarians by Paul Lendvai.  I actually found out about this book because of the Suggest Readings on My B&N.  It's a very thorough history covering many aspects of Hungarian history starting with the Magyar's arrival in Europe in the 9th century and going all the way up to the end of the Communist era and the dawn of te EU. 

I started this book in the middle however, roughly at the beginnings of Adminal Horthy's period in power, as I'm only reading the second half in the moment largely as research for a writing project.

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:
  • I'm currently reading The Hungarians by Paul Lendvai.  I actually found out about this book because of the Suggest Readings on My B&N.  It's a very thorough history covering many aspects of Hungarian history starting with the Magyar's arrival in Europe in the 9th century and going all the way up to the end of the Communist era and the dawn of te EU. 

I started this book in the middle however, roughly at the beginnings of Adminal Horthy's period in power, as I'm only reading the second half in the moment largely as research for a writing project.

That looks like a very interesting book.  Your writing project must be very interesting, too.  

I've found several books to add to my collection through the B&N suggested reading.  Between reader's suggestions and the B&N suggested reading, I've found many things I might never have been exposed to.  I'm going to have to pick up on my reading time to manage all the books I want to read!

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
New User
shanny18
0 Kudos

I Started reading Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter Novel. It is by Laurell K. Hamilton the book I am on now is Obsidian Butterfly . I really enjoy these stories the main character Anita is a sarcastic, tough, funny and very witty. She is a vampire hunter but seems to do so much more than hunt just vampires. I seem to get lost in these books every time I open them up.
Distinguished Correspondent
Taylor-Marie

I've posted a message here before but I decided to update it with this new fabulous book I've found last Saturday when I went book shopping.

Lolita 

Many times I've heard the word "Lolita" but now I finally discovered the book! And I'm thoroughly entranced with Nabokov's writing style, it's seductive to me, and the story itself is so unlike any other book I've read. I only gotten up to Ch. 9, but I'm already recommending it to anyone who reads this message.

-------------------
My teachers tell me I daydream too much....I tell them they work too much.
Contributor
Literary_AMP

I am currently reading Wuthering Heights. I have not yet read this classic, and decided to give it a go after finishing some historical fiction by Gregory (The Virgin's Lover). I've owned WH for a year or so... and was just recently inspired to crack it open. I am enjoying the rich language, but am finding it very depressing thus far. I mentioned it to someone at the book store (I work at a B&N), and they said they hated it, because it was so sad. I'm sticking to it, though.
"I'm just trying to matter." -June Carter Cash

"You may say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one."-John Lennon
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I have had this on my TBR shelf for a while, I've got to get to it! I've heard great things about it, maybe I'll move it up on my list

Taylor-Marie wrote:

I've posted a message here before but I decided to update it with this new fabulous book I've found last Saturday when I went book shopping.

Lolita 

Many times I've heard the word "Lolita" but now I finally discovered the book! And I'm thoroughly entranced with Nabokov's writing style, it's seductive to me, and the story itself is so unlike any other book I've read. I only gotten up to Ch. 9, but I'm already recommending it to anyone who reads this message.

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com