Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

pjpick wrote:

Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet  Have just started.

this looks really good, I have had it on my wish list for awhile. I will interested in what you think

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
New User
HeidiTownBlog
0 Kudos

I just finished Sedaris' "When You are Engulfed in Flames"  - http://www.heiditown.com/2009/10/07/heiditown-loves-david-sedaris/

and

I just finished reading and blogging my way through "Twilight"

http://www.heiditown.com/extra-extra/heiditown-takes-on-twilight-all-posts-in-order-of-appearance/.

This weekend, I will begrudgingly start "New Moon."

~Heidi

The Mayor

www.HeidiTown.com

New User
Just_Servant
0 Kudos

Choose Your Addiction  I am reading Choose your Addiction by J. Charles Roberts,  It is a very deep true story of a man that overcame hard addictive substances and gave his life to Jesus Christ.  Now he volunteers to help others and lives a life of freedom!  It is great.  I would recommend it to everyone.  He points out that everyone has something in their life that they don't want to let go. Please if you have ever had a loved one go into addictions of substance abuse....this is the book to read!!!!  Thank you Great book!!!!!!

Contributor
Ash53
0 Kudos

I'm reading Bronze Horseman by Paullina Simons. It is really good.

I am now desperately look for a copy of the sequel,  "Bridge of Holy Cross", I can't find it anywhere.

Inspired Bibliophile
thewanderingjew
0 Kudos

Lit  

South of Broad

Contributor
gtiwari
0 Kudos

What Once Was by george tiwari

B&N Bookseller
JL_Garner
0 Kudos

Re: What Once Was by george tiwari

The first is my everyday reading; the second is my long-term reading (because honestly, it's gonna take me a year to read this).

Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #4)

Gotham

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: what are you reading

Prophecy of the Sisters 

just finished

Ruined  

Definitely Dead (Sookie Stackhouse / Southern Vampire Series #6)

The Yiddish Policemen's Union  

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
New User
negriltea

I had the good fortune to meet author Christian Barth this October 2009 when he was peddling his book on the Ocean City, NJ, Boardwalk in the very spot Ted Bundy (1946-89) must have walked.

After examining the first couple pages of Barth's self-published novel, I was sold. Extremely well-written, it details the unsolved murders of two lovely coeds who flocked to the Jersey shore each summer, told from the vantage point of none other than the murderer himself. Yes, it is Ted Bundy's voice that speaks through the entire novel. Written with tremendous imagination, the author is clearly familiar with every aspect of the Bundy case as well as the terrain and landscape of the Jersey shore.

Other characters come into play on the fateful weekend the coeds come to party, meet men, drink, sunbathe and enjoy the Boardwalk fare. Each character is distinctive and skillfully drawn such as schizophrenic Danny and his strange buddy. Bundy is adept at characterization having majored in psychology and also being driven by a need to know himself and others.

Particularly valuable in building a case for his own criminal behavior is the account of Bundy's early years when he lived with his maternal grandparents. His amazingly cruel and sadistic grandfather baits him into fighting with him while also taking him on fishing trips and teaching him the intricacies of the sport. One can't help but wonder if there is a genetic component to Bundy's make-up.

Bundy is portrayed as a multidimensional character, not just the sociopath - or remorseless individual - that comprises the public's view of him. His character is skillfully drawn and utterly believable. As he displays his charm and cunning with women we see his benign side changing before our eyes into the clever charismatic killer that was able to lure 40 women and girls to their deaths in his 4-year killing spree between 1973-78.

The reader may wish to widen his curiosity about Bundy by researching him on the Internet. Much to my surprise, I found a fascinating video of Bundy done on the very day of his execution.

This debut novel deserves its place on every crime fiction shelf. I don't care what Barth writes about next as long as he gives us more from his imaginative lyrical pen.