Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

Meridian  

The Promised World  

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

The Monstrumologist (Monstrumologist Series)  

The Art of Happiness in a Troubled World 

Da Cajn Critter 

Murder, She Wrote 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com
New User
SneakyLilChipmunk
0 Kudos

I am reading Preacher by Garth Ennis & Steven Dillion (artist) . This is the 3rd graphic novel in the series.

Preacher

I am also reading the 2nd book in the Mercy Thompson Series (Blood Bound) by Patricia Briggs

Blood Bound (Mercy Thompson Series #2)

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

The Last Dickens  

The Hollow

and still finishing up Drood:smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

To Say Nothing of the Dog (audio unabridged version). Listening to this one while I'm traveling. It's 20 hours long, an abridged version might have been a better choice for me--I'm starting to get distracted. Might be better as a "read" compared to a "listen". 

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

Finished Drood and The Hollow and now starting

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie  along with The Last Dickens

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

All other books got pushed temporarily to the side- started this last night and can't put it down. Very Funny

Bitter is the New Black

Distinguished Bibliophile
Peppermill
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Not really a what are you reading post, but thought some might enjoy these lists of 2009 favorites from the media along with the recommendations of B&N booksellers in another board:

Not "personal" best of 2009, but those who haven't seen these yet may be interested in these links from the NYT:

100 Notable Books of 2009

Michiko Kakutani's Top 10 Books of 2009

Janet Maslin's Top 10 Books of 2009

Dwight Garner's Top 10 Books of 2009

The selection alongside so you can see them in B&N format is rather useful.

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
Inspired Wordsmith
basson_mommy12
0 Kudos

debbook wrote:

Finished Drood and The Hollow and now starting

The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie  along with The Last Dickens

oooh!!!  So, what did you think?  I loved it.

"The Answer to the Great Question of ... Life, the Universe and Everything ... (is) 42." -- Douglas Adams' "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"

Ruth W.
Grand Rapids, MI
New User
ForgivingAraratFan
0 Kudos

“Forgiving Ararat”, the first novel from Gita Nazareth, is a unique and inspiring afterlife adventure! The book’s heroine is Brek Cuttler, a 31-year-old lawyer, wife and mother who happens to be recently deceased.   Leaving behind her new baby daughter and her TV reporter husband, Brek suddenly finds herself sitting in a deserted train station, not yet aware of her own passing. She meets Luas, who reveals she has come to a place called Shemaya, the place between life and death, Heaven and Hell. Luas looks like a combination of people she knows; he appears to each soul as they expect or desire to see him. In fact, much of what Brek sees is only because it’s what she wants to see. When she wants, she sees herself dressed in her favorite black silk suit but alternately she’s naked and bloody, three bullet holes in her chest. She can’t remember how she died and won’t until she’s ready.

We travel with Brek as she explores Shemaya, a place where all four seasons exist at once, where her long-dead great-grandmother waits with open arms, where God judges arriving souls and decides their eternal fate. Luas tells Brek she is to join his team of elite lawyers, charged with representing souls in the Final Judgment. As she clings desperately to her earthly life, in agony longing for her family, she struggles with her new job in the afterlife. To learn her new trade, she observes the trials of other souls, viewing glimpses of their lives through their own eyes. As she watches their lives unfold, connections form, leading her to solve the mystery of her own death.  Meantime, she recalls pivotal moments in her own life; she puts childhood friends “on trial” for crayfish murder, she struggles to accept her parents’ divorce, and she confesses her deepest and darkest secret. And we see it is justice she’s been after since childhood, that’s why she became a lawyer. And it is justice she seeks in death.

Religious themes are prevalent throughout the novel, mostly Judeo-Christian with some hints of Buddhism. Raised Catholic, Brek is drawn to Judaism, the religion of her husband. With Brek we visit the Garden of Eden and sway on the deck with Noah.  And it is the afterlife after all, so she eats whatever she wants without gaining an ounce, she shops without money, she climbs mountains without breaking a sweat, and she travels to whatever destination she imagines. Well-drawn characters from her life and those she meets after death are woven in adding to the suspense.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book! The author drew me in so deeply, I felt Brek’s emotions as if they were my own. The author creates an image of the afterlife that is altogether beautiful, frightening, gory, inspiring, mysterious, joyful and sad. I think anyone regardless of their beliefs, can gain something from this book. It’s a murder mystery, supernatural thriller and a theological debate all rolled into one. Clever and imaginative, “Forgiving Ararat” is a fulfilling read!