Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Sarita_Li
0 Kudos

Re: What book are you reading? 2009 edition

debbook wrote:

I thought I'd start a new thread as the other has gotten so very long!

Anyway, I am reading Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather for LbW

and Sag Harbor for FLBC, though have yet to post there.

I'm working on Sag Harbor specifically for FLBC too, and am also having trouble being inspired to post. What do you think it is? I keep reading the discussion boards and it seems like everyone is just saying the same thing, over & over again, & I really don't want to add to that mire. I feel like, if I have nothing brilliantly original to say, I'd better keep quiet!

Sarita Li

Sarita Li
Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

I know what you mean. If I don't post at the beginning, I feel like everything has already been said and so I don't post. But I will at least write my review when I am finished. Not that it will be brilliant or original :smileyvery-happy:

Sarita_Li wrote:

debbook wrote:

I thought I'd start a new thread as the other has gotten so very long!

Anyway, I am reading Death Comes for the Archbishop by Willa Cather for LbW

and Sag Harbor for FLBC, though have yet to post there.

I'm working on Sag Harbor specifically for FLBC too, and am also having trouble being inspired to post. What do you think it is? I keep reading the discussion boards and it seems like everyone is just saying the same thing, over & over again, & I really don't want to add to that mire. I feel like, if I have nothing brilliantly original to say, I'd better keep quiet!

Sarita Li

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
New User
JohiSD
0 Kudos

So glad I found this group...my book club locally has been on an extended hiatus!

Am currently reading "The Crowd Dreams of Love" by John Leone...a friend of mine knows the author and suggested it, it just got released maybe a month ago?

Here is the website: http://www.crowddreamsoflove.com, I got my copy from there, but I think B & N has it, and maybe Amazon?

Dying to read Pandemonium!!! Great suggestions on here. Johi

New User
Sackett
0 Kudos

Hi Everyone:

I am reading Brothers Kept Apart by Walter Phillips.  I have read a lot of fiction in my lifetime, and too many academic text books in my field of study.  I was ready for something intellectually stimulating outside of my profession - I've been entertained enough.  This is doing it - highly recommended so far.

Sackett

Brothers Kept Apart 

Wordsmith
kiakar
0 Kudos

I have read quite a few books lately. "The secret life of CeeCee Wilks"  by Diana Chamberlin. "The Piano teacher by Janice Y.K.Lee,"The secret life of Josephine "by Carolly Erickson and am reading "Kill for me" by Karen Rose. Oh! I am also about through with "Sag Harbor" by Colson Whitehead.  Also have read "Barefoot" by Elin Hildenbrand. Wow! I have been doing more reading in the last week or two than I thought I was.
Frequent Contributor
heybaby
0 Kudos

I am currently reading Delores Claiborne by Stephen King and I think I will start Twilight tonight to see what all the hype is about.

"The wonderful thing about not planning, is failure comes as a complete surprise, and is not preceded by a period of worry or depression."
New User
reesepeace
0 Kudos

I am currently reading.....

Music, the Brain, and Ecstasy

This book caught my eye during a lunchtime browse through B&N.  I have always struggled to define the depth at which people attach themselves to music (myself included) and this book presents some interesting social and scientific theories.

Next up is...

Magic Time 

I read The Bridge a few years ago (also by Marlette) and was captivated the characters he created.  Hopefully this book will live up to my expectations!

Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

I am reading several books right now: Hands of My Father:  A Hearing boy, His Deaf Parents, and the Language of Love, by Myron Uhlberg.   I am enjoying this book so so much. A wonderful memoir that is filled with love. 

Embers by Sandor Marai

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

The White Tiger  Have just started The White Tiger by Avarind Adiga for a new book club I've joined. I'm only on page 10 or so but I'm finding it a little amusing. My only complaint, I don't think it's going to have many good "stopping points" i.e. breaks in the print, end of chapter, etc. Apparently I kind of need that in a book.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Ryan_G
0 Kudos

I think I read Agatha Christie books too fast.  Since I posted last time I finished Appointment with Death.

Already read

The Mystery of the Blue Train (Hercule Poirot Series) 

And just starting to read

Sad Cypress (Hercule Poirot Series) 

"I am half sick of shadows" The Lady of Shalott

http://wordsmithonia.blogspot.com