Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
momofprecious1
0 Kudos

What happened to the "First Look" group?

I know there have been a lot of issues with the new site but I was wondering if the first look selections have been put on hold until everything is resolved or if they have been postponed for good? I really miss reading the first look selections :smileysad:

Hope all the issues can be resolved soon!

Distinguished Bibliophile
Paul_Hochman
0 Kudos

Re: What happened to the "First Look" group?

momofprecious1 wrote:

I know there have been a lot of issues with the new site but I was wondering if the first look selections have been put on hold until everything is resolved or if they have been postponed for good? I really miss reading the first look selections :smileysad:

Hope all the issues can be resolved soon!

We've just had three back to back groups (January, February, March). Not sure how you missed them?

Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

Paul:

I, too, seem to manage to miss some of the First Look offerings.  The last one I participated in was The Postmistress.  None of my friends would ever call me "computer savvy," though, so it's no wonder I find myself obsessively cruising through the B&N announcements trying not to miss anything.

Is there someplace I can sign up in order to make sure B&N drops me an e-mail for First Look announcements?  I apologize if this is obvious and I'm just too dense to figure it out on the site.

Pam
KathyS
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
BooksRPam wrote:

Paul:

I, too, seem to manage to miss some of the First Look offerings.  The last one I participated in was The Postmistress.  None of my friends would ever call me "computer savvy," though, so it's no wonder I find myself obsessively cruising through the B&N announcements trying not to miss anything.

Is there someplace I can sign up in order to make sure B&N drops me an e-mail for First Look announcements?  I apologize if this is obvious and I'm just too dense to figure it out on the site.

Pam,

If you found the Announcement board, I'm not sure how you missed the FL Announcements for each month.  Around the first of each month Paul posts it. They are all posted there.  Here is the last one Paul posted in Feb., for the March FL book. 

Click here to read

As far as I can see, at this time, nothing has been posted for the future First Look Club... I only see the latest post  for the individual board book discussions. 

You can subscribe to the Announcement board, (or any board) to automatically get these announcements (or posts) in an email. You do this by going into your "My Profile" (up by your PM envelope), and then find the page (tab) that has this information on it. Check it off.  (enable it)  It's good to look through all of these tabs of information/offerings to the boards.  Get familiar with how you, yourself, can change the look of the formatting.  Play with it.  Don't be afraid.  You can always change it back.

I hope this helps....if not, yell!  :smileyhappy:

Kathy

Inspired Contributor
BooksRPam
0 Kudos

Kathy:

Thanks so much for trying to help me out.  I am getting ready to grab my "cuppa joe" and implement what you've just told me.  Trust me, I will yell if I can't figure this out.

BTW, in my obsesssing yesterday, I did find a note that the next First Look will be posted the first week of May.  I found that by looking at the community room chat on the book that First Look just completed.

I'm off to play on my "Profile."  Wish me luck.  :smileywink:

Pam
Correspondent
JoanieGranola
0 Kudos

I know what you mean - I actually had to refind the FL threads by clicking on an old thread I was following to get myself back to the First Look group - it's not as easy to find.

And as to the announcements, there was one posted just a few days ago that the next FL selection is going to be digital (you don't need an ereader, just the downloaded B&N reader), and the official announcement is going to be May 8.

I didn't realize B&N was changin their site, but it appears "everyone" has done so because I'm finding it more difficult to find things on different sites that I frequent.

Also, if you have a Facebook or Twitter account, you can follow B&N and see the announcements if you're still unable to find the announcements on B&N's book club page.

KathyS
0 Kudos

I, personally, have no problem finding discussion boards, once you click on "Browse Book Clubs", they are all displayed.

My bone of contention is with Paul and Rachel, on the FLC... because they refuse to float their thread topics to the top of the page, which would make it so much easier to find a discussion thread.  I view these boards in the threaded view, and that's how I like to participate, and when these posts get into literally hundreds, these thread topics get lost within pages of posts.  And for me to flip page after page, to try and find these posts, is a waste of my time.  It used to not be that way, with past moderators.  Now, I find it too time consuming to stay on top of them, trying to participate on the FL board.  We can easily float these threads ourselves, but if you are not participating for a few days, and Rachel or Paul post a new thread....and you don't catch it....there lies the rub.... having to hunt for the threads you may have missed.

I don't have the time, especially now that these boards are so slow in response time.... For some reason Paul doesn't think it necessary to float these topics of discussion.....as I had asked him to.  That's just one of the reasons I gave up on that last FL discussion.  As long as that board stays the way it is, I'm sorry to say, I won't be participating.

Distinguished Wordsmith
crzynwrd4lf
0 Kudos

Having some computer knowledge I'm still trying to get the hang of the site. Are there any threads about likes and dislikes of the site that get read by the Admins? If so, I'd like to know where I can find them. It seems like every board I look at someone is asking a question about the site or displaying a distaste for one aspect or another. I think they made the site a little too complicated and I have a difficult navigating through it, but I'm sure eventually I'll figure out the pattern-- and then they'll change the site of course. :smileyhappy:

What is the FL group? Is it just new releases or new authors???

"One potato, two potato, three potato, four/ she's coming for you now, you better lock the door"-- Promise Not To Tell
Peppermill
0 Kudos

Crzynwrd -- FL refers to "First Look".   B&N announces the availability of Advance Reading Copies for selected titles prepublication to those who sign up and agree to participate in a discussion of those books.  Look at that section for an idea of recent titles offered.  It is a fun chance to get an early look at some new books.

Pepper

crzynwrd4lf wrote:

Having some computer knowledge I'm still trying to get the hang of the site. Are there any threads about likes and dislikes of the site that get read by the Admins? If so, I'd like to know where I can find them. It seems like every board I look at someone is asking a question about the site or displaying a distaste for one aspect or another. I think they made the site a little too complicated and I have a difficult navigating through it, but I'm sure eventually I'll figure out the pattern-- and then they'll change the site of course. :smileyhappy:

"Seize the moments of happiness, love and be loved! That is the only reality in the world, all else is folly. It is the one thing we are interested in here." -- Leo Tolstoy
KathyS

Here is a  link to a Welcome  I gave to a participant, on the General Fiction board.  It explains in some detail how these boards can work.  And what the First Look Club board is all about. 

Up above, where it says Help, between the My Profile, and the PM envelope, you'll get a rundown as to how  to use these different functions.  Although, I just checked it, and read about the Laurels...(Kudos).and found it wasn't accurate.  With all of the different changes that are being made to B&NBC, one never knows what one will find!  :smileyhappy:

If you have a question, about anything, you can do several things.  Post a new message on this Community Board....ask away.   And yes, the Admins do read these posts....most of the time....usually Paul Hockman.  The weekends are slow, though, so don't expect immediate answers.  You can also PM an Admin, or a moderator.  Or, one of us to help you.  

If you have likes or dislikes concerning these boards and their functions, and want to talk about them, post a new message thread.  Be sure to title the subject line relevantly.  The Admins are always open to your voice.  We have had numerous threads of discussion started, concerning a lot of these functions, and yours will just be one more to add to the mix.  We've all had complaints of one sort or another.  They say they listen, which I believe, and some changes have been for the good....but it's a very slow process, so don't expect immediate solutions to any of these glitches, or changes.  I would love to give my input into the discussion on design changes, but I'm not sure what the last "all call" did to change the board.  I don't think it was as productive as they had hoped.  Jon said he was wanting another conference call in the future, but he hasn't brought it back up.

Once you've been on these boards as long as some of us have, it all becomes second nature using these functions....until they change them on us.  I see how it can seem complicated...and it is, for someone new.  Once it went from B&NU, to B&NBC, it went from simplicity, user friendly, to a whole new world of 'bells & whistles'. 

Over the last four years, they've changed the look and functions of these boards around, at least four or more times.  Advertising is high on their priority list, as well as most web boards.  It doesn't cost us anything to use these boards, so they have to get their profits in some way, but the animated Ads are the most annoying...dowloading time clogs the movement of these functions.  And when involved in a discussion, the last thing you want to do is wait forever until your window comes up, to get that sometimes fleeting thought posted.....I can literally forget what I wanted to say, by the time the reply window appears!

As much as they try to please us, which I'm grateful for, I'm just afraid they won't be going back to the "old" days, being user friendly......as much as we'd like that to happen, it won't.  :smileyhappy:

Kathy