Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX

Re: What is your favorite word?

I like succinct, because ..... well, because it is succinct. Actually, I like most words that are.

succinct: marked by compact precise expression without wasting words

I like the word exacerbate for this reason. But I don't really wish anything to be exacerbated (made more violent, bitter, or severe).

PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

Since Penelope put words out there like "bird" LOL!

Two of my all time favorite words to use and say for some reason would have to be "Awesome" and "Way Cool", I use them all the time!!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

PenelopeTX wrote:

To me, the funniest sounding word in the English language is "bird." I sometimes play a game with myself where I try to imagine myself as a complete stranger (an alien?) hearing only sounds, comprehending nothing, and "bird" makes me giggle every time (perhaps this should be posted on the geek thread instead).

You just make me laugh:smileyvery-happy:, Penelope!

"Bright colors, Vasher thought. I'll have to get used to those again. In any other nation, the vibrant blues and yellows would have been ridiculous on soldiers. This, however, was Hallandren: land of Returned gods, Lifeless servants, BioChromatic research, and - of course - color." Warbreaker By Brandon Sanderson
Distinguished Wordsmith
PenelopeTX
0 Kudos

Thanks Carmen! Let's hope Ryan doesn't kick me out for being a goof. But I really do laugh at that word. 
PenelopeTX
Do NOT invoke my inner Mama Bear! (Credited to me)
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS

Ryan_G wrote:

I'm not sure what made me think of this question but here you go.  What is your favorite word to say?  What word is spelled in such a way it grabs your attention?  Or is it a word that when spoken out loud makes you want to say it over and over again?  I know just picking one is going to be hard but I would like to see everyone's try anyway.

Mine is defenestration.  I think it's the comibnation of the way it sounds when spoken out loud along with the definition.  Which for those who don't know, put simply, it's the act of throwing someone out a window.  At least that's the definition I like.

Ryan, there is only one word that I would choose to use, as mine...and that word would be Passion.

It encompasses everything, and everyone in my life.  My art, my music, my writing, my reading, my friends.  It's my life - who I am. Simple as that.

Inspired Scribe
carmen22
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Paula717 wrote:

I'm too much of a "Flibbertigibbet" to have thought of that. :smileyvery-happy:

Flibbertigibbet: silly or scatterbrained person

Paula you have the funniest words! I am so a Flibbertigibbet (my new favorite word LOL)!Where did you even see or hear these words? I for one have never heard or seen them before now. Thank you. 

After writing the above statement ---- I was just reading The Graveyard Book by Gaiman and this word ended up being on the next page, to funny.

Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-08-2009 10:56 AM
Distinguished Bibliophile
KathyS
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

Paula717 wrote:

I'm too much of a "Flibbertigibbet" to have thought of that. :smileyvery-happy:

Flibbertigibbet: silly or scatterbrained person

Paula you have the funniest words! I am so a Flibbertigibbet (my new favorite word LOL)! Where did you even see or hear these words? I for one have never heard or seen them before now. Thank you. 

Carmen, I think that word is older than you are!   Come to think of it, it's probably older than me!  :smileyhappy:

Wordsmith
Paula717
0 Kudos

carmen22 wrote:

After writing the above statement ---- I was just reading The Graveyard Book by Gaiman and this word ended up being on the next page, to funny.
Message Edited by carmen22 on 05-08-2009 10:56 AM

That's too funny!!!! :smileyvery-happy:

To read without reflecting is like eating without digesting. - Edmund Burke
Contributor
T-RadSR
0 Kudos

Great question!

Just to throw my 2 cents in I like the words "Profligate" and " Rectitude".

I have other favorite words but those came to mind right now.

Contributor
Briannah
0 Kudos

Mine are--

Humdrum--- Dull

Effervescent---- Bubbly