New User
bookbabe202

What next?

Okay I read and love the twilight series, and am looking forward to Midnight Sun. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for books along this same style and flow. I am not all that interested in vampires I just like the underlying romance and feel of the story, although im not against the vampires and warewolves. I may be interested in something a little more mature, but I hate those trashy romance novels. I also like the classics. Any suggestions???
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01

Re: What next?

How about the Maximum Ride series, by Jamed Patterson? It's a science-fictiony kind of series, but it's fast-paced, action-filled and, I will add, hilarious. I've read and reread the series several times. But if science fiction isn't really your dig, I suggest A Child Called It, by Dave Pelzer. It will make you cry (unless, of course, your tear ducts have been detatched from crummy emotions, such as sorrow, as mine have).
"Your dream vacation, smile hostage refuge, a work in progress, you bleed just like you puke while running the mile."

-Pretty Handsome Awkward, The Used
B&N Bookseller
Brad_W
0 Kudos

I would suggest Dean Koontz and some of his novels which are along the 'supernatural' lines:

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein 

Dean Koontz's Frankenstein  

Odd Thomas (Odd Thomas Series #1) 

Forever Odd (Odd Thomas Series #2)  

Brother Odd (Odd Thomas Series #3)  

Odd Hours (Odd Thomas Series #4)  

Husband  
With purpose and on purpose
New User
meganbrooke14
0 Kudos

Re: A Child Called "It"

Yes, I think Dave Pelzer did an excellent job on this book. He was very brave to write about his own childhood. This is my favorite book every. I cried clear through it. What was your favorite part in the book?

New User
girlchamploo
0 Kudos

Hey!

Check out: http://lifeaftertwilight.ning.com

Hopefully you can find something there :smileyhappy: 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
"How many a man has dated a new era in his life from the reading of a book."
~Henry David Thoreau
Scribe
JdiennoPSU

I thought since midnight sun got leaked Meyers was no longer planning on releasing it.  In fact I thought she put up the first few chapters on her website for everyone to read since she was no longer going to release.  I read it and it was ok... Definitely not as good as the original books.

- JJ

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain.

FACT: Childhood cancers are the #1 disease killer in children - more than asthma, cystic fibrosis, diabetes, and pediatric AIDS combined.
New User
phreec
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Laurell K Hamilton has 2 series that are similar in nature to the Twilight books; vampires, werewolves (and other were-creatures), faeries, goblins, and the like, but are definitely intended for mature readers.  There is -some- gratuitous um...adult material (lol) but the books have very well-defined, multi-faceted plots and characters.  Both series have modern settings, with supernatural twists  :smileyhappy:)

First is her Anita Blake series, beginning with _Guilty Pleasures_ (the title is the name of a nightclub owned by a vampire). Anita is a vampire hunter, and takes her job very seriously.

Guilty Pleasures (Anita Blake Vampire Hunter Series #1)

Second is the Merideth "Merry" Gentry series. _A Kiss of Shadows_ begins the story of Merry Gentry, P.I., who also happens to be a half-human faerie princess, competing with her cousin to inherit the throne!  This series is much more of a "faerie tale" than the Anita Blake series (and is my favorite of the 2), but definitely holds it's own; it can be pretty scary at times, lol  :smileyhappy:)

A Kiss of Shadows (Meredith Gentry Series #1)

I definitely love BOTH series, and have read each a few times. I only -just- began the Twilight series, and i am loving IT just as much!!

I hope that helps? i know this response is a while after your initial post, but if nothing else, maybe could inspire some great summer reading? :smileyhappy:)

GOOD LUCK!!   :smileyhappy:)

Contributor
jenn77
0 Kudos

Try the House Of Night series by PC Cast or The Vampire Academy series by Richelle Mead.  Both are good series books (Young Adult).  Also I agree with phreec, the Laurell K Hamilton books are good but lots of adult material.  If you haven't read Charlaine Harris, I recommend her!  Her Sookie series is fun and I love the characters!  As for non-supernatural books with a great love story, try Nicholas Sparks.

New User
eegallatin
0 Kudos

Obviously you enjoy books with excellent narrating and descriptive plots. That is sort of the BIG hook with the books written by Stephanie Meyer. I would recommend reading the first five series written by V.C Andrews (prior to her ghostwriter taking over). These books are written similar to the style of Stephanie Meyer. I would best describe these series as very complelling mystery-drama while telling the hardships of a life story. Fiction Based and very hard to put down!

good hunting

Contributor
Kellylaw74
0 Kudos

Sookie Stackhouse series is a great alternative.  It's what HBO's series True Blood is based on.  Great characters and more for an adult reader.