Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

What's the Scariest Book That You Have Ever Read?

By scary, I mean that you had to put the book down and take a deep breath and had to make sure the closet door was fully closed and a nightlight on.

For me, it was William Peter Blatty's, "The Exorcist."  I read the book right before the movie came out and a lady at work warned me that the book really scares you and there are some parts that you may have to put the book down and compose yourself.  She was right!  I can still remember sitting in my room and I came across that chapter when demonic possession was taking control of little Regan and telling her that she must do something really sacrilegious, and at that point, I had to put the book down and take a deep breath and get up the nerve to continue reading.  I read the whole book and just had to see the movie. 

Yes, "The Exorcist" is the scariest book that I have ever read and none other can top it.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

Re: What's the Scariest Book That You Have Ever Read?

Gosh, I can't think of anything as an adult but when I was 4, I read The Three Little Pigs and the wolf really freaked me out. For years I would imagine there were wolves in any dark room in the house, especially under beds. If I crossed my fingers or turned on the light they couldn't get me--I'm embarassed to say this lasted until I was about 12. To this day, I have to avoid movies with wolves (especially werewolves) in them--I'm 47.:smileysurprised:

This topic makes me think of Friends when Joey would read The Shining and have to put it in the freezer when it got to the scary parts. Then when he was reading Little Women Rachel had to put the book in the freezer when Beth got sick. Too funny.

Frequent Contributor
WriterGurl1

I have two:

The Shining 

I read this book in a twenty-four hour period and didn't sleep for days afterward. In my opinion, it is the scariest book ever written. The subsequent movies... meh, not so much. But this book still gives me a wicked chill. There is a cemetery in town that has animal-shaped topiaries... I NEVER drive down that street (if you've read the book, you know why).

Fear Nothing  

This book is simply eerie! I have heard mixed reviews, but I found myself completely immersed in the world Koontz created. I will never again look at a monkey in the same way.

Thanks for this post... I can't wait to see what other's recommend!

There is nothing better than getting lost in a great book!
If you enjoy romance, be sure to check out my novels:

An Unexpected Obsession  

A Dose of Reality

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Good thread idea! Actually I have a few chilling books, mostly because of their topics. These were all also made into scary movies.

"Make Room! Make Room!," by Harry Harrison, made into movie "Soylent Green" starring Charlton Heston

"Farenheit 451," by Ray Bradbury, made into movie by same name starring Oskar Werner and Julie Christie

"Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984)," by George Orwell, made into movie by same name starring John Hurt and Richard Burton

"The Exorcist," by William Peter Blatty, made into movie by same name starring Linda Blair and Max von Sydow

-----

The Exorcist probably tops the list only because of what happened while reading it, something I'll never forget.

You see, it was a hot summer night and I had the front door open. There I was, laying on the couch reading, when my ham-fisted neighbor came over to borrow some milk. This neighbor had a habit of standing down beside the narrow set of steps to my front door and loudly banging on the door. After the shock of the sudden noise, I looked at the door and no one was there. I can personally attest to the fact that people CAN jump straight up in the air while in a horizontal position. Every light in the house was on after that, and I made the dog sleep on the bed with me that night.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

pjpick, don't you dare feel embarrassed about your confession of being scared by wolves ever since The Three Little Pigs.  I have a confession, too.  I am scared to death of that donkey in SHREK.  It's that face!  I can't stand it.  I have to look away whenever I see it.

Feel better, now. :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

WriterGurl1, "The Shining" is a very scary novel and I feel funny inside whenever I see a hedge carved in the shape of animals.  That Dean Koontz novel that you suggested certainly has me intrigued.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat, I think anyone who has read the book or has seen the movie, "The Exorcist," has an individual story to tell.  I can recall that I was hoping that my bed would not be shaking that night.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

I can recall that I was hoping that my bed would not be shaking that night.

Oh gosh! Think of the poor folks in quake-prone California.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Correspondent
meg820
0 Kudos

I read

Carrie 

when I was in middle school and it scared me a heck of lot more than the book.It gives much more detail about Carrie's dad and how she became the way she was.

Another book that scared the crap out of me was

Helter Skelter 

I had nightmares over that book and to top it off I read this when I was in high school and the week after I finished the book we had a new sub at school and he looked just like Manson. I about jumped out of my skin when I saw him.

Well behaved women rarely make history.
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

It by Stephen King.  While I was reading it I was out and passed a van with a clown on it and that scared me to death.  I had never been frightened by clowns before reading this book and still feel a little weird when I see one!