Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

What's up with...?

Okay. So some people in the Community Room know that I've been having a problem with this one boy. But something happened recently that's left me pretty dang confused. Okay...here it is:

Two weeks ago on Friday J.D. seemed like he was getting desperate. He was complimenting me and talking to me regularly throughout the day and pretty much doing his damnest to please me. Not to mention throughout my entire track practice he wouldn't quit staring at me.

Well...the follow-up Monday he barely acknowledged me. It went this way for the entire week and basically all this week. He had his moments when he seemed sort of annoyed with me, almost cold, but overall I've had hardly any contact with him since Friday.

What I'm basically asking is...what the heck is up?

"Even Supergirl has her kryptonite."

-A quote by moi

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear

Re: What's up with...?

twilight_fanatic_01 wrote:

Okay. So some people in the Community Room know that I've been having a problem with this one boy. But something happened recently that's left me pretty dang confused. Okay...here it is:

Two weeks ago on Friday J.D. seemed like he was getting desperate. He was complimenting me and talking to me regularly throughout the day and pretty much doing his damnest to please me. Not to mention throughout my entire track practice he wouldn't quit staring at me.

Well...the follow-up Monday he barely acknowledged me. It went this way for the entire week and basically all this week. He had his moments when he seemed sort of annoyed with me, almost cold, but overall I've had hardly any contact with him since Friday.

What I'm basically asking is...what the heck is up?

-A quote by moi

Ahh ...he didn't get the response he wanted for his earlier behavior. He's doing the teenage boy hot/cold behavior. Give it another week, he'll be back to hot again.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever

[ Edited ]

I've learned that ignoring the guy is the easiest thing to do--at least it is for me. Don't know if it's that way for other people. Don't worry about it. It's common and it just gets weirder in time. (Trust me, in a few years you'll be wondering if he's an alien. :smileyhappy: Or something else. :smileywink: )

Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 04-03-2009 08:40 PM
Message Edited by Dreamer4ever on 04-03-2009 08:41 PM
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

So...does this mean he's probably just gonna start back up again when I get back from spring break or something? What's the point of ignoring me if he's just gonna get all "hot" again?

-A quote by moi

TiggerBear

So...does this mean he's probably just gonna start back up again when I get back from spring break or something? What's the point of ignoring me if he's just gonna get all "hot" again?

-A quote by moi

He can't help it, really. I've never been quite sure whether it's hormonal or all ego. It used to make me crazy. One day all over me, next time he see me ignoring me, next time all up and under my feet. Guaranteeing if you give a guy like that any attention, he'll go cold. Ignore him and he'll sway back and forth.. hot and cold. 

His point, his ego. By ignoring you since you ignored him, he saves his ideas about himself. She's not so great, didn't want her anyway. But sooner or later his feelings will push him back to being nice to you.

But without any doubt he likes you, really likes you. 

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

Um...erm...crap. I guess I don't know what else to say at this point--other than the fact that I need to make a schedule. "Let's see...J.D. will ignore me Monday-Wednesday and will scramble for my attention Thursdat-Friday." Or something along those lines, anyways.

(Did I mention I'm listening to Katy Perry's "Hot 'n' Cold" at the moment? Ironic, isn't it?) 

-A quote by moi

TiggerBear

Um...erm...crap. I guess I don't know what else to say at this point--other than the fact that I need to make a schedule. "Let's see...J.D. will ignore me Monday-Wednesday and will scramble for my attention Thursdat-Friday." Or something along those lines, anyways.

(Did I mention I'm listening to Katy Perry's "Hot 'n' Cold" at the moment? Ironic, isn't it?) 

-A quote by moi

Ironic a bit. Very abet. 

A schedule?! (shrug) A least it will make sense to you and it will not bother you any more. Treat him how you always have, perhaps one day he'll grow up. (chuckle)

Inspired Wordsmith
twilight_fanatic_01
0 Kudos

If he can grow up. This is a thirteen-year-old guy (who more-than-likely has a sucky home-life, no real friends and even teachers that dislike him) I'm dealing with. But then again...it's something to hope for.

-A quote by moi

Scribe
debbook

I think the question is, do you like him? If so, maybe let him know. If you don't like him, maybe you should make that clear to him. Just be consistent with your behavior towards him and maybe he will follow your lead. Just don't have to high of expectations of a 13 year old boy. Very confusing age. For girls,too.

If he can grow up. This is a thirteen-year-old guy (who more-than-likely has a sucky home-life, no real friends and even teachers that dislike him) I'm dealing with. But then again...it's something to hope for.

-A quote by moi

A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
KathyS

[ Edited ]

-A quote by moi

It sounds like you're playing the game of cat and mouse...  The idea in any relationship is to first draw your boundaries.  You are the only one who can do that.  Figure out how you feel, first.  Do you want this to be just a friendship?  Do you want it to be a girlfriend/boyfriend relationship?  Do you want him to hang around or go away?  Do you want something from the situation?  Whatever it is, you need to take charge of your feelings in this, or you're just going to go around in circles wondering who will do what, next, and where it will end.  You're both playing off of each other's feelings right now, and that's not a good thing for either of you to be doing. 

If you like the guy, or want to get to know him better,  make the effort to sit down with him and talk it out.  If you don't like the guy, you still need to sit down with him, and tell him you don't want to lead him on.  Do you get what I'm trying to say?  Either perpetuate the relationship in a good way, or stop it before everyone gets hurt.

Kathy

Message Edited by KathyS on 04-04-2009 08:36 AM