Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

When Nosey People Ridicule You For What You Are Reading

Have you ever read a book where someone told you, "You shouldn't be reading that trash?"  Maybe the book disagrees with someone's political views, or is very adult, or someone thinks it is blasphemous, or has a hang-up about a certain celebrity's biography you may be reading.

I will admit there have been books that I have read where people have come up to me and said rude comments.  I don't lose my temper but I just tell the busybody:

"It's none of your business what I read." 

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Distinguished Scribe
kathylcsw
0 Kudos

Re: When Nosey People Ridicule You For What You Are Reading

While I haven't had anyone tell me that I have kept the cover of my books out of sight at times. I live in Conservative, Bible belt part of the country and it is hard to be a Liberal who reads Christopher Hitchens or Richard Dawkins. I also kept the cover of Bill Clinton's autobiography out of sight to avoid rude comments.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

I get a chuckle out of some of your topics. :smileywink:

No, I've not had someone make a rude comment about a book I happened to be reading. However, I have had people say that they did not like that particular book and ask if I was enjoying it.

This usually ends up being a lengthy discussion on the book because I find other points of view can be interesting and then I have the chance to decide if I agree or disagree with the other person's opinion in further reading.

Sometimes it ends up being a spoiler, and that can be a little irksome if it's a real nail-biter.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

kathylcsw, I understand what you are saying.  I live in Arizona and there are quite a few that don't take kindly to anything that is "Democrat" or "Liberal."  I just don't let them get to me. :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
HungerGamesPerson
0 Kudos

Good for you!

If we have no peace, it is because we have forgotten that we belong to each other.
Mother Teresa
For it is in giving that we receive.
Francis of Assisi

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

Actually, this has happened to me on these boards when I responded to a post called "what is everyone reading?". I was ridiculed for reading Laura Bush's biography. She has done so much for libraries and childrens reading program
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ

schatzieWI, I'm sorry you had to experience rude comments from people who disagreed with a book that you were reading.

Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1

So far I've yet to have anyone ridicule anything I am reading. I have no problem if someone doesn't like a certain book but they shouldn't be telling others that they shouldn't read it just because they don't like it.

CasperAZ wrote:

schatzieWI, I'm sorry you had to experience rude comments from people who disagreed with a book that you were reading.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CasperAZ wrote:

Have you ever read a book where someone told you, "You shouldn't be reading that trash?"  Maybe the book disagrees with someone's political views, or is very adult, or someone thinks it is blasphemous, or has a hang-up about a certain celebrity's biography you may be reading.

I will admit there have been books that I have read where people have come up to me and said rude comments.  I don't lose my temper but I just tell the busybody:

"It's none of your business what I read." 

And another plus for owning a Nook.  No one can see what you're reading:smileywink:

Although I will admit I've had some good discussions with people in waiting rooms, etc about books being read.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dalnewt

[ Edited ]

Well, other than my husband complaining that I'm always reading a book and spend too much on them, no one has ever had the temerity to tell me what I should and shouldn't be reading. Maybe it's my direct gaze or my middle-age, but, crap, no one has had the cojones to tell me what to read.

Of course, there was that time when my sister and I (at ages 10 and 11) got ahold of a book written by Marquis de Sade.:smileyvery-happy: I don't know which one it was because our mother found us reading it, confiscated it and, then, tore it up in front of us.  And, she did confiscate from us, at much earlier ages, The Lives of the Saints, (we were wallowing in the gory deaths), and Poe. Of course, she didn't destroy either, and we later recovered both when we got a bit older.