Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson

When is "instantly e-mailed" not instant?

When it is an EGift Card. :smileywink:

So, I had a disappointing experience and am posting here so that others may learn from my experience.  I was so excited to learn about the Egift Cards you can get from B&N.  You mean I can buy a gift card from my armchair and have it e-mailed to myself you ask? Why yes you can.  But it seems there is a little catch.

As the story goes...I purchased my giftcard, sorry Egift Card, on Saturday.  So excited that I can load up my NC with a bunch of books and Pre-Orders that I have been dying to get.  Saturday day goes by, no Card and no confirmation email.  Late Saturday night I did finally get an e-mail from B&N saying that my order is processing.  OK, me thinks I will have the Gift Card in my inbox on Sunday AM, right?  No such luck.  After calling in a couple of times I found out that my order was flagged due to the address of the purchaser (attached to my B&N account) and the e-mail address of the recipient are the same address.  After a little work, they finally released the Egift Card (prior to the May 2 date that was given) and I was able to get my books, too late to do much reading but they are on my NC finally (hurrah), but was a little disappointed in the whole experience.  I think that I will just pick up the cards at those kiosks that they have in the Grocery Stores from here on out to avoid this issue in the future.  So Sad.  :smileysad:

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Frequent Contributor
kathybaug
0 Kudos

Re: When is "instantly e-mailed" not instant?

Interesting.  I have had the same problem with purchasing ecards online for myself, but it never occurred to me that sending to myself was the issue.  I never called Customer service because the ecard arrived before I got too anxious about it.  Thanks for the info.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

A_Wilson wrote:

When it is an EGift Card. :smileywink:

So, I had a disappointing experience and am posting here so that others may learn from my experience.  I was so excited to learn about the Egift Cards you can get from B&N.  You mean I can buy a gift card from my armchair and have it e-mailed to myself you ask? Why yes you can.  But it seems there is a little catch.

As the story goes...I purchased my giftcard, sorry Egift Card, on Saturday.  So excited that I can load up my NC with a bunch of books and Pre-Orders that I have been dying to get.  Saturday day goes by, no Card and no confirmation email.  Late Saturday night I did finally get an e-mail from B&N saying that my order is processing.  OK, me thinks I will have the Gift Card in my inbox on Sunday AM, right?  No such luck.  After calling in a couple of times I found out that my order was flagged due to the address of the purchaser (attached to my B&N account) and the e-mail address of the recipient are the same address.  After a little work, they finally released the Egift Card (prior to the May 2 date that was given) and I was able to get my books, too late to do much reading but they are on my NC finally (hurrah), but was a little disappointed in the whole experience.  I think that I will just pick up the cards at those kiosks that they have in the Grocery Stores from here on out to avoid this issue in the future.  So Sad.  :smileysad:

I ordered and eGift card and sent it to myself yesterday.  Normally it shows up in less than an hour.  Yesterday it took about 4 1/2 hours for it to get to me, but there was no issue with me sending it to myself.

Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I ordered and eGift card and sent it to myself yesterday.  Normally it shows up in less than an hour.  Yesterday it took about 4 1/2 hours for it to get to me, but there was no issue with me sending it to myself.

And you sent it to the same email your B&N account is linked to?

I had the same problem A_Wilson experienced. The CS rep couldn't tell me why my order was being delayed, so at the time I assumed it was because I had used a new credit card that I'd only just added to my account. (Ironically, a B&N branded credit card.) It wasn't a huge problem, I just cancelled the order and bought a gift card on the way home. But I'd been hoping to buy a new book and start reading it on my lunch hour.

I'd love to know a sure-fire way to avoid the four day delay in the future!

Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I've had the same experience. Normally it comes within 30 minutes to an hour, though once it took about 2 hours.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41

Hi A_Wilson,

I'm sorry you had such an issue getting your eGift card, would you be able to send me your account info (email address, serial number). I would like to take a look at what happened.

Same goes for anyone else having an issue with eGiftcards. 

Thanks,

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

akaCat wrote:

bklvr896 wrote:

And you sent it to the same email your B&N account is linked to?

Yes, I the to and from email addresses were the same.  I got all the emails to the one address, the one saying I sent a card, the one saying my gift card to the receipent was delivered to them and the ones with the gift card information.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

Hi bklvr896,

We're currently taking a look at this, but need more examples of the delay. Would you be able to PM me your order number?

- Alex

Click the Laurel leaf to say thank you for helpful posts. And be sure to come back to click the 'Accept as Solution' button for the post that solved your issue. This may help someone else.
Inspired Wordsmith
A_Wilson
0 Kudos

BN_AlexG wrote:

Hi A_Wilson,

I'm sorry you had such an issue getting your eGift card, would you be able to send me your account info (email address, serial number). I would like to take a look at what happened.

Same goes for anyone else having an issue with eGiftcards. 

Thanks,

- Alex

Hi Alex.  I just sent the information to you via PM.

"We cannot all do great things, but we can do small things with great love." - Mother Theresa

“Let us be kind, one to another, for most of us are fighting a hard battle.” Ian McKlaren

Inspired Wordsmith
Hypatia1
0 Kudos

This still seems to be happening - ordered on 1/6 - told will be delivered 1/10? Rather defeats the purpose of having e gift cards....