Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33

Who does what around here? Admins and mods and bloggers, oh my!

[ Edited ]

With the shake-up in the admins and the masses of new people joining the site every day (greetings), our old familiarity with "who does what" has faded.  I put together a little roster of who's-who in the BNBC family.

Admins:  The admins run this joint, more or less, and they are the ones with the ability to help out with moving/deleting threads, trouble with user accounts, and try to facilitate/resolve customer service issues when posted on the boards.  Their user names are green (and are usually first names followed by an initial or last name) and the tag "ADMIN" accompanies the user name.  The admins are headed up by Jeremy (JeremyCesarec) and there are some new admins like SLevine, around the boards. 

Moderators (Mods):  The moderators oversee specific forums and often do some blogging on the blogs.  Mods have some administrative control within their own boards and maybe around the site but not at the level of the admins.  Paul (paulgoatallen) mods within the SF/Fantasy/Paranormal/Urban Fantasy boards and blogs (which are awesome), Becke (becke_davis) puts together fantastic Mystery line-ups (and does a spot of gardening blogging), Melanie (Melanie_Murray) wrangles all the Romantic Reads, and Brandi (Brandi_R) oversees the Writing Room.  Moderators' usernames are green with "MOD" tags.

Reader-Moderators (R-mods):  R-mods are volunteer moderators for a specific board - they have the ability to pin/unpin, make new threads, etc., in their own boards.  There aren't very many of us but we try to be helpful if run across users with questions.  I (Melissa_W) moderate Literature by Women, Deb (dhaupt) takes care of General Fiction, Jaya (agnijay) chats with the Teens, and Classics has a rotation of R-mods including Lisa (liisa22) and Dulcinea3 (aka Dulcie).  R-mods have green usernames with "R-MOD" tags.  In addition to the R-mods, there are a host of knowledgeable BNBC users like Peppermill, Tiggerbear, Doug_Pardee, DSaff, and others who help out a bit with questions.

Bloggers:  Bloggers contribute to our blogs on varying subjects - writing, gardening, mystery books, kids books, cover stories, food.  Some of our bloggers are former moderators (like Ilana).  Bloggers have blue usernames and a "BLOGGER" tag.

Booksellers:  There are a number of brick-and-mortar B&N booksellers who stop by the site from time to time.  Booksellers help out with questions (several of them are active in the NOOK boards) and post book recommendations in the B&N Bookseller Picks board.  They have a green username and a "BOOKSELLER" tag.

And that's pretty much it!  Apologies if I missed mentioning anyone specifically and we can all add to the "roadmap" as needed.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Re: Who does what around here? Admins and mods and bloggers, oh my!

Very informative and much appreciated. :smileyhappy:

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

Melissa_W wrote:

Booksellers:  There are a number of brick-and-mortar B&N booksellers who stop by the site from time to time.  Booksellers help out with questions (several of them are active in the NOOK boards) and post book recommendations in the B&N Bookseller Picks board.  They have a green username and a "BOOKSELLER" tag.

It's been pointed out to me that the "bookseller" tag basically indicates a B&N employee who doesn't have any special forum-related functions. It could be anyone from Len Riggio on down, not just the rank-and-file booksellers. The person may not even work for the Retail side of B&N.

Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 965
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
Solutions: 33
0 Kudos

I'm a bookseller, too, and to get the "bookseller" permissions I had to provide my store name and number which is displayed in the Bookseller Picks.  There might be a "home office" employee roaming around, but I've yet to meet someone labelled as a bookseller who isn't a retail bookseller (there is one CRM, but she's from the retail side, too).

Doug_Pardee wrote:

Melissa_W wrote:

It's been pointed out to me that the "bookseller" tag basically indicates a B&N employee who doesn't have any special forum-related functions. It could be anyone from Len Riggio on down, not just the rank-and-file booksellers. The person may not even work for the Retail side of B&N.

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

There are also Authors, whose names appear in red.  If you hang around Mystery, you see these tags a lot, as Becke is wonderful at getting them to visit us!

Also, I'm not really a reader-mod, but thanks for the virtual promotion! Liisa is the reader-mod for Classics, but I haven't seen her in months.  Both Pepper and I kind of moderated alternating months before she was assigned, and I just decided on my own to do it this month.  Actually, although I would like the ability to post on the Announcements board when we have a discussion coming up in Classics, I would rather have a cool title (no insult intended, Melissa, and others!).  I just noticed today that I am finally an Inspired Bibliophile and suddenly am giving three laurels at a time!!!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
KathyS

dulcinea3 wrote:

There are also Authors, whose names appear in red.  If you hang around Mystery, you see these tags a lot, as Becke is wonderful at getting them to visit us!

Also, I'm not really a reader-mod, but thanks for the virtual promotion! Liisa is the reader-mod for Classics, but I haven't seen her in months.  Both Pepper and I kind of moderated alternating months before she was assigned, and I just decided on my own to do it this month.  Actually, although I would like the ability to post on the Announcements board when we have a discussion coming up in Classics, I would rather have a cool title (no insult intended, Melissa, and others!).  I just noticed today that I am finally an Inspired Bibliophile and suddenly am giving three laurels at a time!!!

It's about darn time!  :smileyvery-happy:

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

Thanks.  You mentioned boards and blogs I've never seen...and didn't know they existed.  Now I will hunt them down...

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
KathyS
0 Kudos

BearMountainBooks wrote:

Thanks.  You mentioned boards and blogs I've never seen...and didn't know they existed.  Now I will hunt them down...

Just curious:  You aren't able to see them all when you log in?  They are all listed and categorized on the front page.  Do you click on "Browse Book Clubs"?  How did you get here? 

Also, you can put (float) any of your Favorite Blog or Board up to the top of the page.  That way you can readily see it, and you don't have to scroll through all of the boards to find it.  See the left side drop down option tab....click on it, and see "float to the top" .

Author
BearMountainBooks-Maria
0 Kudos

I think it has to do with my screen size (laptop).  I get 4 and it looked like that was all of them.  So when I went looking, I scrolled.  I found the blogs and thought, "Oh that's it then."  But no, there were MORE.  I just never scrolled because I thought I was seeing everything.  I found this community board via the blogs and then stopped reading most of the blogs.  I'm used to forums where there are a few broad categories and then sub-categories.  This forum has more broad categories.

I found and read some on the Urban fantasy and popped over today to check out the mystery forum.  I read a lot of mysteries and when I'm not reading those, I read a lot of Urban fantasy!

Maria Schneider - My Nook Books
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

BearMountainBooks wrote:

I think it has to do with my screen size (laptop).  I get 4 and it looked like that was all of them.  So when I went looking, I scrolled.  I found the blogs and thought, "Oh that's it then."  But no, there were MORE.  I just never scrolled because I thought I was seeing everything.  I found this community board via the blogs and then stopped reading most of the blogs.  I'm used to forums where there are a few broad categories and then sub-categories.  This forum has more broad categories.

I found and read some on the Urban fantasy and popped over today to check out the mystery forum.  I read a lot of mysteries and when I'm not reading those, I read a lot of Urban fantasy!

Yeah you have to keep scrolling down. There's a lot more to this site than most.