Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Jon_B
0 Kudos

Why Do You Read?

[ Edited ]

We all love reading, but the reasons we're attracted to it are as different as we are.   Sometimes we want to educate ourselves, sometimes we want simple entertainment - many readers read in order to better themselves or to learn more about the world they live in, while others seek new imaginative worlds to escape to.

We started thinking about this question because of the new program from Barnes and Noble Studio: Why I Read.  In this episode, readers from LA talk about what reading means to them - click play below to watch. 

Why do you read? Post in this thread about what reading means to you - from spending time with authors and books you know and love to challenging yourself with new and unfamiliar reads, how and why did reading become one of your hobbies?
Message Edited by Kevin on 08-18-2008 04:13 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Scribe
DSaff
0 Kudos

Re: Why Do You Read?

Hi Jon!  I like this question. Reading is a lot of things to me. The biggest reason I read is for the new worlds and adventures I am able to enjoy. Fantasy, history, humor - genre doesn't matter. There aren't many things that beat out a day off, a good book, and a relaxing spot. I also read to learn, not only for professional development, but also for personal. While it may be difficult to read about circumstances in other countries, it helps open my eyes to the world around me. I also read to escape the pressures of daily life by diving into the world of a book.

BTW - I like "Why I Read!"

DonnaS =) " Reading is a means of thinking with another person's mind; it forces you to stretch your own." Charles Scribner
"A book is like a garden carried in the pocket." Chinese Proverb
My blog: http://bookworm56.blogspot.com
Frequent Contributor
Braguine
0 Kudos

Nothing. Nothing develops the mind and expands one's horizons better than reading. In a conversation one can quickly tell if the person reads or not.
Alexey Braguine, author of Kingmaker
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

I read different books for different needs and moods.

There is nothing more satisfying than finding a great book, that can take you into a different time/place, and keeps you thinking about the book after you have  finished it.

Contributor
Vitin
0 Kudos

Why do I read? For all those wonderful reasons, that have been given. With James Michener, I travel, as in Hawaii, Poland, The Covenant, etc., and learn so much. With books, such as Uncle Tom's Cabin, by Harriett Beecher Stowe, I learn, suffer, cry, and my heart goes out to all those who were made slaves, of any race. When I read modern novels, I sort of find one character or other that seems close to me, such as in A Boy's Life, by Rober R. McCammon. Books on history, whether fictionalized or not, are my favorite, such as the People of the Sea, and this and that series, by Michael and Kathlene Gear. Books by Jean Auel, Clan of the Cave Bears, and others are a delight. Books written by and for my people, the Puerto Ricans, are a must for me. As for spiritual matters the Bible and the Book of Mormon! Like I said, all the reasons given, are also my reason. I can safely say, that I have read over 5,000 books in my life time. Yes, I have television, and I'm over 50. Love it!
Frequent Contributor
Timbuktu1
0 Kudos

Insatiable curiousity!!!!
Frequent Contributor
hawaiianchique
0 Kudos

Peace and tranquility. I need time to lose myself to another time and place. Reading gives me that time.
New User
Franky
0 Kudos

I like reading because its my escape from my world. I can go into someone elses world and see it through a different perspective. I also learn so much..I learn new words, new styles of writing..that always helps in my english class!

I've loved reading since I was little...so now I always have to have a book to read,or I find myself bored out of my mind!

Scribe
debbook
0 Kudos

These are all excellent reasons to read. There are so many reasons to read. I can't think of any reason why someone wouldn't want to read!
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com
Contributor
fallflames
0 Kudos

U took the word right outta my mouth