Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb

Re: William Lynch out as B&N CEO

[ Edited ]

Lynch was brought on to develop the digital division and the nooks.  Given the results this was inevitable.  Toaster, big bonuses and parachutes for failed execs drives every one nuts. I  now risk an attack but they epitomize what is wrong in institutions today.  Top management is over compensated, under performs, and boards do nothing to introduce some reality into the process. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

"Mr. Huseby and Mitchell Klipper, Chief Executive Officer of the Barnes & Noble Retail Group, will report directly to Leonard Riggio, Executive Chairman of Barnes & Noble, Inc."

So, Riggio is running the show.  Wonder where Lynch will land?  

A content position at MS would be amusing, especially if the buy goes through.

So ... it seems that Mr. Riggio is actually the CEO after all.  Deja Vu from a different thread? 

flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

Jeez. That's not good.  He was promoted from within, though, right?  Maybe this means he'll stay the course of the recent announcements and only pull out his special skills if they really can't make it work.

He was originally hired in 2012 as the new CFO. So... yeah...

Mercury_Glitch

Looks like the MS rumors are reSurfacing with this news, http://appleinsider.com/articles/13/07/09/microsoft-eyed-as-potential-buyer-of-nook-business-as-barn...

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 3,957
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

The thing that worries me so much about this move is that Huseby has historically specialized in seperation financial deals - carving up companies and selling off their parts.

Setting aside concerns about parting-out, one thing is quite clear: NOOK Media LLC is now being run by a bean-counter. While NOOK Media obviously is in critical need of some fiscal responsibility, the stereotype of a company that's run by bean counters is one of lost vision, lost focus on users, lost focus on quality, lost focus on the future in general.

From a Forbes editorial column:

It’s a picture of general decline and no way out. Business schools, textbooks, consultants, are all pressing ahead with cost cutting, downsizings, outsourcing and so on, as if nothing has changed. Because the returns get smaller and smaller, there is a lot of desperate flailing going on. Executive turnovers is accelerating. Life expectancy of firms in the Fortune 500 has declined from 50 years to 15 years, and is heading toward 5 years, if nothing changes.

Here's hoping that Huseby isn't the classical bean-counter.

keriflur
0 Kudos

deesy58 wrote:

roustabout wrote:

"Mr. Huseby and Mitchell Klipper, Chief Executive Officer of the Barnes & Noble Retail Group, will report directly to Leonard Riggio, Executive Chairman of Barnes & Noble, Inc."

So, Riggio is running the show.  Wonder where Lynch will land?  

A content position at MS would be amusing, especially if the buy goes through.

So ... it seems that Mr. Riggio is actually the CEO after all.  Deja Vu from a different thread? 

My understanding is that Riggio is overseeing the division CEOs in his capacity as chairman, but that he has NOT been named B&N CEO, and B&N is not planning to name an overall CEO at this time.  This lends credence to the idea that the company will be broken up, unfortunately.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Contributor
Beangrape
0 Kudos

Here are a few things I'm wondering about:

1. A lot of people (analysts, B&N Nook consumers, investors) keep mentioning the dismal numbers for Nook that were reported at the end of June. Those numbers reflect a period that ended April 27, 2013. The whole expansion of Google Play and opening up the Nook device to more apps didn't take place until early May - the press release is dated May 3, 2013. So isn't it still early to tell what effect this has on Nook hardware sales and content sales? Maybe the next quarter results will be improved.

2. The last we heard (from the Annual results) is that the strategy is to move to a third party partner to manufactor the color Nook tablets. Do you think this is something that will still happen?

3. If Barnes and Noble decides to completely kill off the device and solely rely on an app that people can download is that enough for Nook as a brand to survive?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Beangrape

1) I suspect that the changes you mention, lowering the price and adding the Google Play Store were done in order to clear out inventory.  As well as ignite some interest in the Nook HD line.  I don't think they were meant to prevent the decision to cease making LCD Nooks.  Remember B&N posted losses for the holiday season for the Nook HD.  So it's not a rash decision based on one quarters numbers. 

2) Yes, it's possible MS (if they are the ones B&N partners with) would put out a rebranded Surface with the Nook OS.  It gives B&N a solid company (this from an Apple fan so lets avoid the debates over MS, they're a major player despite mistakes they've made), and it gives MS a retail store which will only display their product, something they lack right now.  It wont be an Apple store, but MS is less of a hardware company than Apple is, at the moment anyway. 

3) I don't think they could survive on just an app based approach.  There are tons out there at the moment.  Kindle is such a strong name that it would likely eclipse the Nook app.  Reportedly B&N has 25% of the ebook market, that's with devices that are tied directly to B&N, remove those and I can't imagine that number would remain that high. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Beangrape wrote:

Here are a few things I'm wondering about:

1. A lot of people (analysts, B&N Nook consumers, investors) keep mentioning the dismal numbers for Nook that were reported at the end of June. Those numbers reflect a period that ended April 27, 2013. The whole expansion of Google Play and opening up the Nook device to more apps didn't take place until early May - the press release is dated May 3, 2013. So isn't it still early to tell what effect this has on Nook hardware sales and content sales? Maybe the next quarter results will be improved.

2. The last we heard (from the Annual results) is that the strategy is to move to a third party partner to manufactor the color Nook tablets. Do you think this is something that will still happen?

3. If Barnes and Noble decides to completely kill off the device and solely rely on an app that people can download is that enough for Nook as a brand to survive?

1. I suspect the decision to partner with a tech company and to stop doing all the hardware design in-house was made last winter, when B&N announced they would be shifting focus away from hardware.  I suspect they didn't have a partner yet, but wanted to prepare the market for the change, so they made an early announcement to ease the idea to analysts.  B&N stated that the addition of Google Play was done to clear out inventory of the existing nooks, so, like Mercury said, I don't see this as a factor in the hardware decision.

2. Yes.

3. If by "kill off the device" you mean all devices, including eink, then no, I don't think nook could survive. I don't think B&N could survive if they were to do this.  If you mean that they would stop selling tablets and only sell eink devices, then yes, I think they could do just fine, as long as they focus on having the best apps in the business, and making the best eink devices in the business, and figure out a way to compete with Amazon on ebook prices.  I know that's a lot of ifs, but I think without the tablets, their odds of survival are the same as with the tablets.  I see eink as the larger factor device-wise.