Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: William Lynch out as B&N CEO

keriflur: The move into a digital service wasn't a bad idea.  Only half implementing it was.

Totally agree.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Mercury_Glitch: It's no secret I am not a fan of the LCD Nooks myself, that's not to say I don't think they're good products, but I think they distracted B&N from what they should have focused on.

I think there's a lot of truth here.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 517
Solutions: 40

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro

One of the more productive posts in this thread asked whether many early NC adopters are still B&N customers. Speaking only for myself, I can say absolutely. However, I am unlikely to buy another NOOK tablet device. My NC was my gateway to ebooks. It was a device that finally demonstrated that I could carry my library about and access it under practical conditions using a (then) very cost competitive device. The NOOK family of color devices no longer holds enough of a competitive advantage in terms of either features or cost for me, but since "going digital", I've purchased many times the value of any NOOK in ebooks. Prior to that, I was down to purchasing a few books a year due to the bulk of carrying more than one on my extensive travels demanded by work. Had B&N gone more open with access to GoPS back when the NT was released, I might still be the rabid fan boy I was when I bought my first NC. Sadly, they killed the buzz. I still like eInk devices, and might replace my NST if a compelling new outdoor-readable device is released. I'll still be buying way too many ebooks from B&N (and others).
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

http://m.usatoday.com/article/life/2506357

Article discusses Lynch resignation, including some analyst comments.  One comment refers back to Borders concept stores never implemented. Does anyone know details of the concept? 

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

http://m.usatoday.com/article/life/2506357

Article discusses Lynch resignation, including some analyst comments.  One comment refers back to Borders concept stores never implemented. Does anyone know details of the concept? 

I like that the article mentions getting the divisions to work together, something FT, myself, and several other B&N employees have mentioned has been an issue for some time now.  Getting these groups working together toward one goal would be a great boon to B&N. 

Not sure about the 'concept stores' but I suspect it's just what the article says.  Making areas of the store over to focus on what the local community want and needs.  So an area with a high population of families would likely want a strong YA section, and likely a good book groups section for the parents.  It's something we've talked about on the forums before, and I believe most of us agreed.  I find it comforting when business analysts and specalists agree with the suggestions made by forum posters. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,005
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

patgolfneb wrote:
One comment refers back to Borders concept stores never implemented. Does anyone know details of the concept? 

https://www.google.com/search?q=borders+concept+store&btng=Google+Search

patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Thanks Doug, not much there. The use of mp3 devices, internet, cloud and media streaming impact on the way media is consumed has already outdated that concept. The rest of the ideas BN has already pursued, with mixed results. 

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

flyingtoastr wrote:

The thing that worries me so much about this move is that Huseby has historically specialized in seperation financial deals - carving up companies and selling off their parts...

I don't know anything about the man, but the fact that he comes from a cable company (I don't have much regard for most of them) bothered me.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Apparently, my apology to Mercury_Glitch was deleted by the Administrator.  Just to make the record clear, here are the words of my apology: 

"Umm ... okay.  I stand corrected, and I apologize for calling you a liar.   I thought you were referring to entire articles.  The copied text was so brief that I did not consider it to be within the scope of your accusations.  My bad."