Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Re: Windows Updates

bobstro wrote:

Deesy, I think you're a lot more likely to find a definite answer if you pursue this on one of the myriad MS technical support boards.

bobstro, I am not trying to drill deeply into this issue.  I am simply curious as to whether anybody else saw it, and I noticed that it occurred on a Tuesday, the day I normally receive Windows updates from Microsoft. 

Perhaps it was nothing more than a coincidence.  Perhaps it has something to do with the rollout of Windows 8.1, even though I am using Windows 7.  I don't know.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

You realize that if you click on "view update history" in the Windows Updates control panel, you'll get a history (by default in reverse chronological order, but it can be sorted in other orders by clicking on the column names) of the updates installed, and that you can call up details on any of them? 

The details section for an update typically includes the MS knowledgebase article that discusses the update.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

You realize that if you click on "view update history" in the Windows Updates control panel, you'll get a history (by default in reverse chronological order, but it can be sorted in other orders by clicking on the column names) of the updates installed, and that you can call up details on any of them? 

The details section for an update typically includes the MS knowledgebase article that discusses the update.

Yes, I am aware of that.  In fact, I do check this record every once in a while.  I have observed, however, that it only lists the updates that have been selected for installation by the user.  No "hidden" updates are ever shown.

Coincidently, I am just now trying to install Windows Updates on another desktop computer in my home.  I selected all of the "Important" updates, and one of three "Optional" updates.  When I clicked on the "Install" button, I received an error message to the effect that Windows Update was unable to install 17 updates because Windows Update was currently installing updates.  "Please try again later."

I wonder what updates it is currently installing, if not the ones I directed it to install???

I tried again a couple of times a few minutes later, and I received the same error message. 

I am also now installing updates on a Dell laptop with Windows 7.  We'll see if I encounter the same strange behavior.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I realized long ago that Microsoft's priorities for the use of my computers are not my own. I have relegated MS Windows to running games at home, and only as a virtual machine on my work laptop. For any serious stuff, I use Linux. It's nice to have my machine booted and usable within a couple of minutes.

roustabout
0 Kudos

"nice to have my machine booted and usable within a couple of minutes."

one acronym:  SSD.

My win 7 system is usable in under a minute.  It's been a long time coming, but with the addition of that drive, the laptop now displaces my desktops for most of my use.  In part that's because at the new house I don't have the man cave built yet but in part it's because it's viable to use the laptop that way. 

Now I'll go back to panting and slavering for Bleeding Edge to hurry up and be available.  It's just cruelty that the reviews are out a week ahead of the release. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

This just keeps getting more and more bizarre.  I now have three Windows 7 machines apparently stuck in an infinite loop of installing the same three updates, over and over, and over ... 

The update history indicates that all three updates installed successfully, but Windows updater keeps telling me that there are three important updates to be installed.  On one machine, the same three have been installed five times.  One is an Excel update, and the other two are Microsoft Office 2007 suite updates.  Rebooting does not solve the problem.

I have seen this once or twice in the past, but after the second installation, Windows Update was usually satisfied.  Not this time. 

Gremlins. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Try a SSD.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Try a SSD.

I don't see how a SSD could have any effect on this.  I already have a pair of mirrored ultra-SCSI Seagates that are pretty fast and very reliable.  Besides, the phenomenon was seen on three different computers with three different kinds of HDD.

In any event, for whatever reason, the Windows Update icon has disappeared from my Service Tray after the machine sat without power overnight.  I haven't looked at the other two machines yet, but would not be surprised to see that they, also, might no longer insist on installing the same three updates.

If Microsoft made no changes to my software between yesterday and today, then what changed?  Ten hours ago, the machine I am using right now was notifying me that three important updates were available for installation.  Today, it is not.  What changed?  How did it become changed?

A mystery!

Thanks for the suggestion, though.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Was your computer shutdown?

Some updates start their install when the computer is shutdown. You should see a message about not powering off or unplugging your computer. After this type of install, the installation of the updates continues when the computer restarts and there should be a message about the updates being installed. This type of install usually involves system programs that are always running and cannot be hot patched or replaced while the computer is running.

Other updates can be installed while the computer is running and if you have your update options to "automatically install critical updates" your system will update with only a balloon pop-up message.

You can open the Window Update application and see the history of the installed updates.

There can be over 10 updates a week.

roustabout

[ Edited ]

"If Microsoft made no changes to my software between yesterday and today, then what changed?  Ten hours ago, the machine I am using right now was notifying me that three important updates were available for installation.  Today, it is not.  What changed?  How did it become changed?"

Least likely:  Microsoft changed the "distribute" flag on its servers as there were problems with the patches;  they are no longer marked as important or available because the servers no longer advertise them to users as such, thus changing what your computer displays without changing its software.

Most likely:  the NSA fixed the misapplied Microsoft signing certificates in their patches and properly armed the InstallSilent flag for them.