Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Windows Updates

This morning, when I started up my desktop computer, I received a message that Windows had installed updates, and that the computer must be restarted.  This message appeared right after I logged in.  My Windows Update options in Control Panel are set to notify me when updates are available, and to allow me to choose when to download and install them.  I have not changed my update options, and when I checked them, they remain the same as how I had set them

When I check the Windows Update screen, I am advised that the last time Windows updates were installed was on 8/14/2013 at 11:18 AM.  I am also told that no important updates are available, and that the most recent check for updates was today at 9:29 AM. 

Is Microsoft, once again, pushing secret updates to customers' machines, without permission, and with no notice beforehand?

Has anybody else seen this phenomenon?

Windows Update.jpg

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: Windows Updates

Seeing as how the message says updates were installed and the log says none have ben installed since the middle of August, I'm more inclined to believe you've got a scam/virus message of some kind. My advice would be to run a check for viruses instead of restarting the computer and proceed from there.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

never mind.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

Seeing as how the message says updates were installed and the log says none have ben installed since the middle of August, I'm more inclined to believe you've got a scam/virus message of some kind. My advice would be to run a check for viruses instead of restarting the computer and proceed from there.

Hmm.  Good idea.  I am running a complete scan using Malwarebytes right now.

I also have an active anti-malware software package that is always running (Microsoft Security Essentials).

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

The scan completed with no malware found.

It didn't really seem to me to be a virus or Trojan.  It seemed to me more like Microsoft pushing another surreptitious update to a user's computer.  After all, this wouldn't be the first time ...

Just wondered if anybody else had the same experience. 

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Any chance it was MSE downloading a new virus definition file? I think it has an option for that independant of Windows Update (though the file also will show as optional update in WU).

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
doncr
0 Kudos

You could always open Event Viewer and look at the system activity log.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Deesy, I think you're a lot more likely to find a definite answer if you pursue this on one of the myriad MS technical support boards.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

Any chance it was MSE downloading a new virus definition file? I think it has an option for that independant of Windows Update (though the file also will show as optional update in WU).

I suppose that's possible, but I have never seen MSE require a Windows restart before.  The definitions were up-to-date.  I believe that MSE will update its definitions even before a user logs in, so this is not surprising. 

On the other hand, Microsoft might be, once again, installing anti-piracy software on our machines without notifying us. 

One of the reasons why I asked if anybody else had seen this is that if it was some sort of new update to MSE, then others should have seen the same thing. 

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58
0 Kudos

doncr wrote:

You could always open Event Viewer and look at the system activity log.

That is a great idea.  I followed your advice, but didn't find much.

The System Log shows all of the usual Windows services starting up, then there is an entry for a "restart" with a code of 0x50ff.  It reports that "No title for this reason could be found."  Then, the log shows all of the services stopping (as a result of the restart, I imagine).  The only errors are the NVIDIA update services that failed to start.  These two errors always show up in the log after a boot-up. 

About one to two minutes later, the log shows all of the services starting up again. 

Also, at the time of the restart, the Windows Applications Log posted the following entry:

The Desktop Window Manager has exited with code (0x40010004).

I assume this is simply the normal message with a restart, but I do not know that for sure. 

Does this information help?