Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

Yet another list of books to read

Not sure why this came out now, usually these lists come either during the Christmas buying season or the graduation giving season.  But anyhow, here it is, yet another list of "100 Novels everyone should read."

if nothing else, these lists provide wonderful fodder for book enthusiasts to argue about!

I can't argue with Middlemarch at number 1.  But leaving Bleak House, which should be in the top 10,if not the top 5, off the list entirely?

And Proust -- oh, yeah, we all should read that.  Like we all have two years of our lives to devote to reading one book.  

And Jane Eyre at number 7?  It should barely make the list, if at all.  And putting Bronte on the list but not Tolstoy?  Cold Comfort Farm but not Brothers Karamazov?  

They need to go back to the drawing board. 

0 Kudos

Re: Yet another list of books to read

[ Edited ]

Everyman wrote:

Well these things are to some extent a matter of taste. 

But why argue about a newspapers list when we can just make our own?

What would be your list, Everyman?  I don't expect you to list 100 novels of course, but how about using our EssentiaList feature to make your own list of 25 novels everyone should read, in the order you think is appropriate?  I and anyone else who wants to will make them as well, and we can all post them in this thread.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 03-18-2009 07:00 PM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Everyman
0 Kudos

What is the Essential List feature??

Jon_B wrote:

Everyman wrote:

Well these things are to some extent a matter of taste. 

But why argue about a newspapers list when we can just make our own?

What would be your listm, Everyman?  I don't expect you to list 100 novels of course, but how about using our EssentiaList feature to make your own list of 25 novels everyone should read, in the order you think is appropriate?  I and anyone else who wants to will make them as well, and post them in this thread.

0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It's a part of My B&N where you can create ordered lists of books (or other items such as CD's or DVD's).  You can use them to make lists of your favorite books within a particular genre, lists of books you've been meaning to read, books about one particular subject, and so on.  Back in December many people made Best of 2008 lists.  

If you look at your My B&N profile, you'll see the EssentiaList area just underneath My Library, on the right side of the page.

If you don't want to make an EssentiaList, you can always just write your own list here in this thread.

Message Edited by Jon_B on 03-19-2009 07:27 AM

Need some help setting up your My B&N profile? Click here!

Looking for a particular book, but can't remember the title or author? Ask about it here!
Distinguished Scribe
blkeyesuzi
0 Kudos

Jon_B wrote:

It's a part of My B&N where you can create ordered lists of books (or other items such as CD's or DVD's).  You can use them to make lists of your favorite books within a particular genre, lists of books you've been meaning to read, books about one particular subject, and so on.  Back in December many people made Best of 2008 lists.  

If you look at your My B&N profile, you'll see the EssentiaList area just underneath My Library, on the right side of the page.

If you don't want to make an EssentiaList, you can always just post write your own list here in this thread.

This list is in no particular order, but it's my list of my MUST READ books.

My Must Read Books

Suzi

"I still find each day too short for all the thoughts I want to think, all the walks I want to take, all the books I want to read, and all the friends I want to see. " --John Burroughs
Frequent Contributor
karinlib
0 Kudos

Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy?  Are they kidding? Alongside Tolstoy and Woolf?

Like they say, to each his own.

Distinguished Bibliophile
dulcinea3
0 Kudos

Well, I've read thirty-one of them.  Not too bad, I guess, considering that I prefer classics, and there are a lot of more modern books on that list, as well.

I usually do better on movies lists than book lists.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Grand Dame of the Land of Oz, Duchess of Fantasia, in the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia; also, Poet Laureate of the Kingdom of Wordsmithonia
Blogger
L_Monty
0 Kudos

Everyman wrote:

And putting Bronte on the list but not Tolstoy?  

He's on it. At #3.
Melissa_W
Topics: 516
Kudos: 1,083
Blog Posts: 3
Ideas: 15
0 Kudos

Melissa W. - Top 25

Alright Jon, you're on.

Here's mine: The Top 25 Novels  (I'll also give a qualifier by saying that I only gave each author one novel - otherwise Austen and Dickens would hog the whole thing - and I don't go in for only "classic" novels; you can debate the last one on the list but since I couldn't put And the Band Played On in a list of novels, it was my substitute).

Where's yours?

Melissa W.
I read and knit and dance. Compulsively feel yarn. Consume books. Darn tights. Drink too much caffiene. All that good stuff.
balletbookworm.blogspot.com
Scribe
debbook

Here is my Must reads list. I only have 23 because the edit button was not working to add more.
A room without books is like a body without a soul.~ Cicero...
"bookmagic418.blogspot.com