Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Your Most Boring Book

As Jo Anne Worley on Laugh-In would say:  "B-O-R-I-N-G!"

What is a book that was so boring that you felt like throwing it out the window?

For me, "Idylls of the King" by Lord Alfred Tennyson.

"The NOOKcolor Aficionado"
Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

Re: Your Most Boring Book

[ Edited ]

Valley of the Dolls; and any book on algebra.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!
Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Desert_Brat, I'm with you about the algebra books. :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
pjpick
0 Kudos

I felt that way about Atonement .  I know, I know. People loved it but it put me to sleep.  The Meadow was also another one I struggled to finish. I just didn't get it.

Atonement 

The Meadow 

Contributor
Fairqueen2
0 Kudos

"Going Bovine" by Libba Bray was boring in my mind. I've been trying to read that book for more than a year now, but I just can't finish it because it's just so... not that wonderful.

Frequent Contributor
krenea1
0 Kudos

I've had several which makes the good ones all the more sweeter.

Pillars of the Earth to me was boring. I did not get very far in it simply because I could not keep from nodding off so if it gets better and you think I should give it another go please by all means let me know.

Karen Renea

Curiosity killed the cat but satisfaction brought it back
Contributor
lindsey_BB
0 Kudos

Walden

Hands down, I had to read it back in the day for my HS Adv. Lit Class. 

New User
serAphm
0 Kudos

So far, anything by Stephanie Meyer.  How she can take a literary vehicle so flexible and rich as "vampires" and turn it into drivel is amazing to me.  I forced my way through the first one and then thinking that perhaps she might build the storyline into something of more substance, I purchased the second.  Big mistake, I wanted my money back. 

I laugh everyday because I have dogs.
Inspired Scribe
Nevermore1
0 Kudos

Ugh!  There's been a few.  The one that comes to mind first is Watership Down which I was required to read in HS.  The whole class hated it and we only got through it because we started making up voices for the characters while reading it to add to the entertainment value.  I'll never forget the look on the principals pace when he walked by the class one day...  Another is Gerald's Game by Stephen King.  I love Stephen King but this book was just torture to get through.

Frequent Contributor
CasperAZ
0 Kudos

Nevermore1, I do remember reading "Watership Down."  There was another book around that time titled, "Jonathan Livingston Seagull."  It must have been the era of talking animal books being popular.  I have to admit, Nevermore1, that I would have loved to have seen that look on your high school principal's face when the class was mimicking the voices of those rabbits.