Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: ipad mini specs, intro

Doncr,

I think that's an intelligent suggestion. While it's unlikely iPad Mini won't sell, it would look really bad for Apple and its whole 'iPad Mini is better than everything else' schtick if something like the rumored $99 Google Nexus 7 or the Kindle Fire HD or the Nook HD sold more, or if they combined sold a lot more.

Strategically it doesn't make sense. Does Apple not realize that with a $249 Mini they could have really, really slowed down momentum for all 7" Tablet makers?

I think Apple is underestimating the impact of these 7" Tablets. It leads to developers having other viable markets. Right now iPhone and iPad are the only good markets for people who want to make apps for mobile devices.

With Windows 8 and the 'pressure' by Microsoft to make apps that work on both desktop and Windows 8 Tablets, there's a chance Windows 8 ecosystem becomes strong.

With the rise of Nexus 7 and Nook and Kindle Fire, developers get three small ecosystems where they can sell Android Tablets.

If these ecosystems keep growing, and with a $329 iPad Mini that's almost guaranteed, then we have two dangerous possibilities -

1) One of the three Tablet ecosystems becomes large enough to support developers.

2) The three combined are enough to support developers.

Now to that add the fact that developers aren't really very happy that to make apps for Apple you have to jump through hoops like - buy an Apple computer, learn a special language, follow all of Apple's rules.

You have the recipe for disaster.

It's strange that on one hand Apple is touting 275K iPad specific apps as one of the biggest selling points.

And at the same time it's putting in a price ($329) that allows other Tablets to thrive and thus get a chance to build up a viable ecosystem of their own.

Wordsmith
babzilla41
0 Kudos

I'm sorry to be ignorant and have to ask this question:  can you read the ipad mini outside without the glare issues that you have with regular ipad?  (is it e-ink or paperwhite or whatever?)

"I love books. If I could eat them, I would. I love their scent and often put my nose in to inhale their aroma." - Kathleen Grissom
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

babzilla41 wrote:

I'm sorry to be ignorant and have to ask this question:  can you read the ipad mini outside without the glare issues that you have with regular ipad?  (is it e-ink or paperwhite or whatever?)

Nope, it's a regular, backlit screen, same as the other iProducts.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

From what I've seen on the specs, the ipad mini would still be a better buy than the Nook HD.  The only things better on the Nook HD are availability to use SD card and better resolution.  However, the ipad mini has a faster processor, has a camera, has access to a heck of a lot more apps, has a 4g version (costs more) and is much more visually impaired friendly.  Plus, from my experiences with products from both Apple and Nook, Apple products are much more reliable.  I have had problems with the NC and no problems with the ipod, even though I've had the ipod longer than the Nook!  And Apple products batteries are replacable.  I bet the new Nook HD's battery is not.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
The batteries on Apple's computer products including tablets are not replaceable by the consumer. The processors are comparable. I wonder why the higher resolution and lower weight isn't an advantage, for someone visually impaired, especially on the HD +? When you add the SD card and significantly lower price the BN products are very competitive. You are giving up the cameras, gps, and the Apple store, but since the screen, the most expensive component, is better, it seems a fair trade off. And of course the nooks are $100.00 less for equivalent memory.
Bibliophile
5ivedom

You miss out an important thing - buyer's remorse.

Nook HD 2 won't be out until November 2013. Gives you one year to have the newest nook and enjoy.

iPad Mini 2 will be out by April 2013 when Apple realizes it needs a better screen and a lower price. So in 4-5 months you'll have a non-retina screen $329 iPad Mini in your hands while other people will be buying a $299 iPad Mini 2 with a Retina screen and other improvements.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

ipads have many tools for the visually impaired that Nooks don't have including text to speech. Plus shopping for books is easier.
Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@Irishelf

Life is a matter of choices.  You should go ahead and buy your ipad mini and let those who wish to buy a Nook HD or HD+ do so.  

Lector GS
Correspondent
moogs

[ Edited ]

Too bad...

slower processor

Sub retina screen res( once you read on retina you aren't going back to fuzzy type)

no additional storage 

cost out of line with features

It appears that they were more concerned with canabalizing the regular size iPad market and decided to put out a truly inferior tablet ( by apple standards also). I'll stick with the iPad 3 for home use and the nook hd for traveling.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Moogs, you hit the nail on the head:

It appears that they were more concerned with canabalizing the regular size iPad market and decided to put out a truly inferior tablet ( by apple standards also). I'll stick with the iPad 3 for home use and the nook hd for traveling.

This is the equivalent of them releasing the iPhone with no speakers and no music support to avoid cannibalizing the iPod.

It seems their first priority was - Make the iPad seem even better.