Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Frequent Contributor
Likes2Read4Fun
0 Kudos

"Damascus Countdown" pricing

The latest Joel Rosenberg release "Damascus Countdown" is one that I've been wanting to read given that I've read the first 2 books in the series.  It's been priced lately at B&N around $15 or $16, but today it is $21.59.  I've seen another place (not Amazon) where it is less than $9.45.  So I called B&N to ask why it suddenly went up in price, and is now $12 more than other places.  I was told that some publishers will cause a retailer to raise their prices on a book if it is selling well, but other retailers can leave the price lower if it isn't selling well for them.  Does that make sense?  Am I missing something about eBook pricing? I know there's lots of complaints about pricing, and I am not trying to add to that.  I'm just wondering if a publisher can make one retailer sell a book at one price and another retailer at another price depending upon how well the book is selling?

Doug_Pardee
Kudos: 4,015
0 Kudos

Re: "Damascus Countdown" pricing

That book is published by Tyndale House, who has no input into the retail price. It probably is wholesaled to B&N at about 50% of the $27 list price, or around $13-14. If Amazon is selling it at $9.45, they're almost certainly selling it at a loss, which has been standard procedure for Amazon.

If B&N wants to set the price at $21.59, they can. If people buy it at that price, B&N makes more money. Which is kind-of their big goal.

One of the interesting things about e-books is the ease with which prices can be moved up and down to see what happens to sales, in order to find the optimum-profit point. You can't do that with paper books.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957

Realistically, calling customer service is a waste of time to ask why the book is whatever price it is.  They don't actually know.  They may have some stock answer but the truth might be as simple as somebody fatfingered 12.95.  Both Amazon and Google have it for $9.45 so this is ridiculous.  You may see the B&N price adjust in a few days.  They are not quick in responding to competing prices but they often do eventually.

keriflur
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Realistically, calling customer service is a waste of time to ask why the book is whatever price it is.  They don't actually know.  They may have some stock answer but the truth might be as simple as somebody fatfingered 12.95.  Both Amazon and Google have it for $9.45 so this is ridiculous.  You may see the B&N price adjust in a few days.  They are not quick in responding to competing prices but they often do eventually.

Odds are decent that if you call CS they will make something up.

You can sideload Google books to a nook fairly easily, so the best plan might be to buy from them.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

What everyone else on this thread said.

I'll just add that there are lots of variation in pricing in ebooks. As mentioned earlier by MacMcK, ebooks allow publishers (and retailers) to price at lots of points (sometimes for testing what price generates most 'profit', sometimes for strange reasons). So you might be seeing one of those 'tests'.

I've noticed this with some books that hit the Top 100 and/or the Top 100 Trending Lists. Then the publisher/author will start doing pricing tests - to see if after getting a high sales rank, whether they can change prices. and still stay at a high sales rank.

Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Now that B&N has trained me to be a comparison shopper, I have gotten pretty careful about this stuff. So, while I agree with all that has been said, I wonder why it is that I find this type of pricing action noticeably more frequently by B&N than by Google or Sony or Kobo. If what I call "whopper pricing," a 30% - 75% premium, is not just a mistake, I am intrigued.  Such instances seem to be too far out of whack to be simple price point tests.  Meanwhile, it only takes the discovery of one whopper pricing decision to transform some of us into careful comparison shoppers.

MacMcK1957

Never sure when to invoke Hanlon's Razor.
Distinguished Correspondent
Seabreeze-1
0 Kudos

I love it - never having heard of Hanlon's Razor.  Thanks for teaching it to me.

New User
Imcherylk
0 Kudos

You can't blame the publisher on this one.  The Publisher sets a retail price, gives the standard discount to the retailer and the actual "on sale" price is up to the retailer to set.  Now, in case of an ebook promotion the publisher can set a price for a limited time as a way to gain new readers for the author.  In this case B&N priced it as low as they wanted to early on during the release period and now has raised it back to where they would normally sell it.  Complaining will do no good.  Buy it elswhere if you don't like the price.

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

By the way, B&N has dropped the price to $13.50.  Still more than Amazon and Google, but no longer at the level of the hardcover list price.

Damascus Countdown