Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

"I Love Lucy" poll--I would really appreciate feedback.

I'm doing a research paper on the famous sitcom "I Love Lucy" and part of my paper is about how the on-screen performance of a loving relationship between Ricky and Lucy Ricardo affected America. The reason I did this topic was because I was impressed with and inspired by the relationship that the Ricardos portrayed. Of course, the irony of it is that the real marriage between Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball failed during the period that "I Love Lucy" was being filmed. I am specifically trying to understand how the sitcom affected married couples, from fifty years ago to present day.    

I created a sort of poll/questionnaire to help me understand this topic. If you could just answer the questions and reply to this that would be great.    

Lucy-Ricky relationship--The effect on America: 

1. Age?
  2. Marital status?
  3. If married, for how long?
  4. Have you seen "I Love Lucy"? If yes, how often have you watched it--in the past and present?
  5. What stands out to you the most while watching the sitcom?
  6. What does the show represent to you?
  7. How has seeing the Ricardo's marriage affected your own?
  8. Are you inspired by the Ricardo's relationship?
  9. How does the show compare, in your opinion, to TV shows of present day?
  10. Are you glad that "I Love Lucy" was created as a TV show and has become so famous?
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
utopian
0 Kudos

Re: "I Love Lucy" poll--I would really appreciate feedback.

Dreamer4ever wrote:

I'm doing a research paper on the famous sitcom "I Love Lucy" and part of my paper is about how the on-screen performance of a loving relationship between Ricky and Lucy Ricardo affected America. The reason I did this topic was because I was impressed with and inspired by the relationship that the Ricardos portrayed. Of course, the irony of it is that the real marriage between Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball failed during the period that "I Love Lucy" was being filmed. I am specifically trying to understand how the sitcom affected married couples, from fifty years ago to present day.    

I created a sort of poll/questionnaire to help me understand this topic. If you could just answer the questions and reply to this that would be great.    

1. Age?
  2. Marital status?
  4. Have you seen "I Love Lucy"? If yes, how often have you watched it--in the past and present?
  10. Are you glad that "I Love Lucy" was created as a TV show and has become so famous?

59, married almost 40 years.
Have I seen I love Lucy???  It was my favorite show as a 6 year old and I've seen every episode many times.
I think, as a child, it felt homey.  I loved the little apartment and the friendship with the Mertzes which was really more like family.  There was a lot of love, between Ricky and Lucy, and both of them towards Little Ricky, and the Mertzes.
Lucy was like a big kid and Ricky her father.  Now, when I watch it I'm horrified by the relationship.  There's so much trickery, dishonesty and anger.  But all ends well, which is always nice.
It represents my childhood, safety, the 50's.
I'm embarassed to admit this but it has.  It took years and years for me to realize this.  I married a Frenchman and our kids and I would occasionally tease his pronunciation.  I think I fixated on the difference in cultures as being a kind of ideal.  My husband was hugely ambitious in a creative field and I fully expected his career to follow Desi's arc.  lol  So silly but that's how these subliminal messages worm their way into a young brain.  We did the European trip, the California trip, and I found myself singing "California Here I come" and picturing the Ricardos and Mertzes in that convertible.
I always feel that my house is not perfect and neat and I'm not glamorous enough.  I saw myself as the mom and wife, supportive of the husband's career.  I did not have career ambitions of my own, however and would never lie and trick my husband.  And he would never raise a hand to me or threaten me physically as Ricky did Lucy.  I think a lot of episodes were about a lack of trust and I may have imbibed some of that.  Suspicions, even unfounded.  Not sure about that.  Might just be marriage!
I think the endings inspired me.  Everything has to work out in the end, with love.
But the anger and trickery are really awful and hard for me to watch today. 
The threat of physical violence between Lucy and Ricky is repulsive.
I think it was a great show and basically the values were good.  I wish more shows today were as good.  We used to watch tv as a family when I was a chld and that's difficult today.  I remember when my eldest was 4 and I went shopping.  She asked my husband where I was.  He said shopping.  She said You believe that?  Are you sure she isn't out "fooling around".  she used to watch Three's Company but it could have been any of a number of shows.
Yes, I really do still love Lucy.  I remember when I was about 8, my father walking into the living room and saying "You actually like this stuff?"  I said "Yes, even the queen of England watches it and likes it!"  Everyone watched Lucy!
My favorite show, however, was Father Knows Best and I really did pattern a lot of my life on that show, even so far as having a girl, boy, girl family!  Talk about influence!

Distinguished Bibliophile
TiggerBear
0 Kudos

Dreamer4ever wrote:

1. Age?
  2. Marital status?

1. 34

2. Married

3. over 12 years, over 14 together

4. Yes, who knows If it's on and I feel like it I watch, never bothered to add it up.

5. I'm a push over for slapstick.  Lucy whines too much.

6. good early comedy

7. don't really think it has

8. (shrug)

9. good show better jokes than you average family sitcom nowadays

10. Ever thought about how women on TV were portrayed? Now realize Lucile Ball pretty much rote that show. How many shows after are carbon copies. Now thank Lucile for Carol Burnett, Lily Tomlin, Rosane Barr, ect.....

Inspired Correspondent
utopian
0 Kudos

TB, there's a terrific book written by the writers of the show.  Where did you hear that Lucy wrote it?  I can't remember her name but I think it's Madeline something and Bob Carroll.  They were a team and what a team!  
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

utopian wrote:
TB, there's a terrific book written by the writers of the show.  Where did you hear that Lucy wrote it?  I can't remember her name but I think it's Madeline something and Bob Carroll.  They were a team and what a team!  

Well, Lucille Ball had actually been a part of the popular radio show "My Favorite Husband" but the idea was carried over to televison and that's how "I Love Lucy" was started. I know that there were two writers that actually wrote the script, Utopian, and you may have the names right--because I can't remember them at the moment. But I think that Desi did direct the show, or something like that.
The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them. --Mark Twain
Inspired Correspondent
utopian
0 Kudos

Yes, Desi was very active in running the show.  Also, the nightclub act was incorporated from their stage show, I'd forgotten that.  Before they started the show they took the act on the road to see if it would be a success.  Now that I think about it, you're probably right, especially about Desi.  I think they probably went over every script with a fine tooth comb.
Distinguished Wordsmith
Dreamer4ever
0 Kudos

I agree. I think that the writers and the Arnazes really had their heads together during the process of writing. Mainly because there are so many jokes and a lot of humor that came from Lucille and Desi's different personalities that made the show more unforgettable. For instance: Desi's accent and inability to pronounce certain English words. It just made it all that much more special.

Inspired Correspondent
utopian
0 Kudos

I found the book I read.  "Laughing with Lucy" by Madelyn Pugh Davis.  She wrote for the show for 50 years!  It was a fun easy read.    Two of the  other writers were Bob Schiller and Bob Weiskopf.
Inspired Correspondent
utopian
0 Kudos

Another interesting thing about watching the show now vs years ago.  Desi's accent is no longer exotic.  It's commonplace so some of the jokes don't have the same impact.