Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

"smaller devices..some form of Windows..from B&N...?

[ Edited ]
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: "smaller devices..some form of Windows..from B&N...?

It would make sense.

I think B&N has three paths -

1) Keep making Android based devices.

2) Stop making devices.

3) Switch to Windows 8.

I think it'll take one of the last two options.

If devices are causing losses (and that seems to be the consensus of analysts, for whatever that's worth), then they have to switch to an OS that allows them to compete better OR they have to end devices.

Switching to Windows 8 almost becomes logical because using Android gives just a competitive disadvantage i.e. they don't have Android Store and they can't differentiate and they have to live with bad Android decisions like using MTP for file transfers.

I'm just not sure B&N has the stomach to keep doing hardware. Perhaps Microsoft is paying them (in addition to the investment) to make Windows 8 hardware.

Windows 8 as an OS is pretty good. If B&N does make good hardware, then it's pretty solid all around.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Doesn't Windows 8 have a much smaller pool of apps?  Are devs even building for it?

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

5ivedom- 

You have a Surface, dont you? Has B&N made any improvements to the Nook Win 8 app since the new year?  IMO, there's a pretty fair assessment on the nook win 8 apps flaws on the apps forum (by "fair" I mean the poster logically lays out the flaws and needed areas of improvements.)  {Thread is called "Nook for Wondows 8 - First Impressions" am typing on HD+ or would link. Its still on first page right now, so not too hard to find.}

IMO, consumers will need a good reason to want to switch to a Win 8 ecosystem. Right now, just dont see it.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Keriflur, it's WINDOWS.

The quality of apps is abysmal right now. However, there are 50K+ Apps.

The sheer number of people on it will guarantee that it has a lot more apps than any other app store eventually.

For now, Windows 8 is supposed to have just 2.87% penetration. So the 50K+ Apps number is surprising.

However, by end of year there will be 100 to 200 million devices with Windows 8 and by end of 2014 there might be 150 to 300 million.

Key Things about the Windows 8 App Store

1) Lots more free apps than paid. It's somewhat like Android in that sense.

2) Number of downloads is very high for free apps. It's decent but not fully known for paid apps. Microsoft has had interviews with people who sold $100K+ worth of apps and such. But no one knows whether those are a handful of exceptions.

3) Because so many people are going to be on Windows 8 lots of developers are making Windows 8 Apps.

4) There are also reports that Microsoft is paying some app makers to make ports. I see lots of facebook and iOS development companies port over some big apps.

NookGardener, I haven't checked the Nook App lately. I don't think there are any updates because I haven't seen a notice for anything.

Why B&N making 7" Tablets makes sense.

1) It hedges bets. Just depending on Android is bad because - firstly, people ASSUME it'll be stock Android. Secondly, people sometimes want stock Android.

2) Microsoft will pay B&N to do it. B&N will probably much rather be paid to cover their risks than get nothing from Google.

3) Running the App Store for B&N can't be easy. All that effort into working with app developers and convincing app developers etc. I can't even imagine how difficult it must be trying to convince developers to make apps for a smaller platform and then do updates. And then having some Nook owners instead of saying -

Thanks for convincing PInterest to make an app for a small market.

say -

OMG You suck. You didn't get the App the same time as Android with 1 billion Android users got it.

I think the biggest is that instead of having a context of Android where people expect free everything and stock Android and rooting and such things, B&N can get a context of PC where people are used to paying $50 for games and $30 for software. That makes it easier to sell $10 books and $14 movies.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

Keriflur, it's WINDOWS.

The quality of apps is abysmal right now. However, there are 50K+ Apps.

The sheer number of people on it will guarantee that it has a lot more apps than any other app store eventually.

There are no guarantees in life.  Just sayin'.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Thanks for the link gb18. That's a lot - 10K more apps in 1 month. Wow!

Keriflur, it's obviously not guaranteed. But it's very close.

I'll give you an example why.

Let's say someone makes an app for Nook or Kindle Fire or some small store of 10 million people.

There's a sort of rough limit of perhaps 500K to 1 million people at most that'll buy it. For niche apps even less (50K to 100K).

So there's a very hard upper cap.

However, for Windows 8, the number in 1.5 to 2 years will be 250 to 350 million.

That's 25 to 35 times more.

So, if a developer thinks - I could sell to 100K people in Nook Store and make $70K, the developer will now think - I could sell to 3 million people and make $3.576 million (Windows App Store min. price is $1.49 and beyond $20K Microsoft gives developers 80% cut).

Note: The money for big hits is similarly skewed. 500K people in Nook Store and make $350K OR

15 million people in Windows 8 Store and $17.88 million.

Now, because most app developers have a lottery mentality (why else would they be making apps instead of their own websites or services), they naturally don't think of competition.

So they don't think -

1) 50 times more money for a hit, but also 50-200 times more competition.

They just think -

1) 50 times more money.

So most developers flock for the stores that are largest and most likely to make lots of money.

Think about what it seems to a normal developer -

1) I could work really hard and get a hit in this small store and earn $70K to $100K and then take a year off.

Versus.

1) I could work really hard and get a hit in this big store and earn $3.57 million and retire for life.

That's why you'll see a lot more apps.

Of course, then we start adding more things

A) 240 countries. That means there will be lots and lots of country specific apps.

B) Developers from hundreds of countries. So a much larger pool.

C) Mindset of buying software. These are people paying a LOT for Windows and Office. So they are more likely to buy software and more likely to pay well for it. Note: There's also more piracy so some of the effect is offset.

D) Lots of business customers and benefit of using app on both home and business.

E) Unification between phone, tablet, desktop, laptop, business devices.

Lots of reasons why, unless MS messes things up (and they are trying i.e. no start button), the Windows App Store would become the biggest store with the most customers who actually spend money. Though I doubt it will have as much money spent per user as Apple.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

... and yet the tech press is less than impressed with Windows 8 and notes how it has increased the Windows desertion rate.

One of the biggest ramifications of the growth of iOS and Android devices has been a corresponding growth in awareness among the general public that they don't need Windows -- especially if they're migrating to handheld devices.

I've been running Microsoft-driven machines since MS-DOS 2.2.  I migrated the bulk of my home computing to Mac OS/X 4 years ago and last used a Windows machine at home 5 months ago.  I convinced my employer to swap my Windows XP laptop for a MacBook Pro last fall.  Right now, the desktops with Windows 7 are the last vestige of Windows that I have to use on a daily basis; I don't mind Windows 7 but I think even the US government ought to have serious thoughts about adopting Windows 8 -- certainly, businesses are.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Microsoft is getting it. There are rumors that Windows 8 Blue (the next, interim OS) will have the Start Button etc.

I think MS didn't realize that a LOT of the advantage of Windows was the familiarity of it. So making Windows 8 so new and unfamiliar was a really strange decision.