Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat
0 Kudos

Re: "smaller devices..some form of Windows..from B&N...?

keriflur wrote:

I might be the only person who loves the ribbon.  I liked it from the first time I saw it.  I found it intuitive then, and still do.  I like that you can easily hide all the menus with one click.  After my first use I made sure to upgrade all my machines to Office 2007 and avoided the older versions like the plague.

I do not, however, like Win8.

I loved the ribbon.My company was so behind and using office before the 2003 version. I had never used Office and when trying to take a class it was like learning then trying to step backwards. Then 2007 version came out and I was promoted, and asked my boss to have the same version as she was using. I sometimes could not read her documents due to different format. I got it, the ribbon was great and taking a class was much easier when what you are learning is the same.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

The ribbon takes up too much screen space, and if set to autohide it ends up adding mouse clicks to do actions since you have to keep opening it...

Leaving it open is not an option now that screens have gone to HD TV resolution (1920x1080). My ancient XP system has a screen that runs 1600x1200. That, at 100DPI, means almost two added inches vertically -- and I use all of it in Word. Go to a 1080screen and add the ribbon and I've lost almost four inches of document height. That's a third of a page of text!

Baron Wulfraed
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Wulfraed wrote:

The ribbon takes up too much screen space, and if set to autohide it ends up adding mouse clicks to do actions since you have to keep opening it...

Leaving it open is not an option now that screens have gone to HD TV resolution (1920x1080). My ancient XP system has a screen that runs 1600x1200. That, at 100DPI, means almost two added inches vertically -- and I use all of it in Word. Go to a 1080screen and add the ribbon and I've lost almost four inches of document height. That's a third of a page of text!

I'm confused here.  I've run Office programs on my HD TV and have NEVER seen the ribbon take up four inches of screen, even on my 42" televison.  I'm currently on my 14" work laptop with a res of 1600x900, and the ribbon is right around 7/8ths of an inch.  It's about 2/3rds of an inch on my 1366x768 macbook air.  I took these measurements with a ruler and included the tabs at the top (which are still there when the ribbon is hidden).

The only machine that I've ever had to hide the ribbon on is my vaio P which has a 1600x768 resolution on an 8" screen (the screen itself is only about 4 inches tall).

I'm not big on key commands (I can never remember them), but an option is to hide the ribbon and use key commands to do your basic repetitive tasks.

Inspired Contributor
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

I didn't say the ribbon itself was four inches. I said the ribbon along with the smaller pixel height of current monitors combined to produce a significant loss. On that old 20" monitor, I can display an 8.5*11 page at full size and still have Word 2003 menus and status bar.

Baron Wulfraed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

For me too one of the big disadvantages of the Ribbon is screen space. It takes up a good 10% to 15% of the screen.