Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Re: "smaller devices..some form of Windows..from B&N...?

5ivedom wrote:

Microsoft is getting it. There are rumors that Windows 8 Blue (the next, interim OS) will have the Start Button etc.

I think MS didn't realize that a LOT of the advantage of Windows was the familiarity of it. So making Windows 8 so new and unfamiliar was a really strange decision.

Maybe MS needs to invest in some competent UX people.  Or if they have them, maybe they should start listening to them.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek

5ivedom wrote:

Microsoft is getting it. There are rumors that Windows 8 Blue (the next, interim OS) will have the Start Button etc.

I think MS didn't realize that a LOT of the advantage of Windows was the familiarity of it. So making Windows 8 so new and unfamiliar was a really strange decision.

If they didn't realize it earlier, they should have realized it after the uproar when they implemented the stupid ribbon interface to Office.  There are STILL a lot of people who are pissed off by the ribbon interface and MS's insistence on forcing everyone into a new UI.

I am amazed at some of the technorati and self-styled experts who used to be Microsoft cheerleaders that are actually counseling people to change platforms rather than adopt Windows 8.

The biggest sign that you're overestimating Microsoft is that the rumors of Windows Blue bringing back the Start button are just that ... rumors.  If they really got it, they should have confirmed the rumors by now.

My point is simply this:  B&N has missed some opportunities and blundered a few times but migrating to smaller devices and incorporating Windows is probably the worst thing they could do right now.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,980
0 Kudos

Windows 8.1 ("Blue" was just the project name, it's officially 8.1 now) has both boot-to-desktop (allowing you to skip the tiled home screen entirely if you desire) and the option to reenable the Start button. Both have been confirmed in the beta builds, along with all sorts of other fun stuff (such as support for smaller screen sizes).

And it's always worth remembering that the whole "post-PC" thing is a fabrication of the tech media. Microsoft still makes more in quarterly profit (flat out cash-in-the-bank) than the entire market capitalization of BN. PC shipments are down, yes, but they're still selling some 70 - 80 million units a year. We are seeing a shift in the market, but it's just like the book industry - it's not a death of the desktop (paper book) by any means.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Yes and no. IIRC, Microsoft actually made more from license fees to other OSes than from Windows sales last year.  They ARE consistently profitable but the consistency has gotten more volatile and the majority of the income is no longer coming from Windows.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Really?

*****Microsoft actually made more from license fees to other OSes than from Windows sales last year.

Here: http://seekingalpha.com/article/1367331-microsoft-s-earnings-report-and-its-future-part-2

Their earnings are something like

$5.7 billion from Windows. 1 billion plus of that they can't count this month as its license upgrades for Windows 8.

$5 billion from Server Tools.

$6.3 billion from Office.

$2.5 billion from Xbox and Entertainment.

They've sold 70 million+ Windows 8 licenses.

I don't think they make very much from Android licensing (as compared to Windows). They sell to a lot of companies (patent Protection) and it's rumored to be $5 per device (though some contracts are rumored to be less) and they just signed up Hon Hai (iPhone device assemblers) and China Mobile (or perhaps one of the other Chinese companies.

However, I very much doubt Android income is anywhere near Windows 8 income.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I didn't mind the stupid, screen eating ribbon interface in Office 10 so much as their totally removing a number of shortcuts and menu locations that I'd come to count on over the years. Not even a Legacy Mode option! It harmed long-time users, and for what, I'm not sure. If B&N is serious about having a friendly interface, and staking their reputation on that, they'd best not similarly abandon it for Microsoft's idea of interface. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I didn't mind the stupid, screen eating ribbon interface in Office 10 so much as their totally removing a number of shortcuts and menu locations that I'd come to count on over the years. Not even a Legacy Mode option! It harmed long-time users, and for what, I'm not sure. If B&N is serious about having a friendly interface, and staking their reputation on that, they'd best not similarly abandon it for Microsoft's idea of interface. 

I might be the only person who loves the ribbon.  I liked it from the first time I saw it.  I found it intuitive then, and still do.  I like that you can easily hide all the menus with one click.  After my first use I made sure to upgrade all my machines to Office 2007 and avoided the older versions like the plague.

I do not, however, like Win8.

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

I like the Ribbon in some of the Office Applications.

In Paint it drives me nuts.

The whole beauty of MS software was that you could use the parts of it you wanted. The Ribbon tries to force on you the parts that 80% of people use. But what if you're not in the 80% that use Feature X all the time and never use Feature Y.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Then you can customize.
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Yeah, good point.

It just bothers me to have to customize things like MS Paint.