Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

"teacher buys tablets through fundraising"

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

Re: "teacher buys tablets through fundraising"

Gotta love how B&N worked a deal out while Amazon wasn't willing to.  It's like one company cares and the other is just out for money. 

A similar thing played out with computers, with Apple all but giving out computers to schools.  Now I wont pretend Apple has dominated the computer market, but they have a good stake in it which they've grown over the last two decades.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

2 decades? Try 4. They were selling Apple II's at a very generous discount to schools in the early '80's, and my high school had a Mac lab courtesy of another very generous deal.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Mercury_Glitch

Sorry, I should have been clearer.  The two decades there refers to the growth of Apples marketshare, not the length of time they've been seeding Macs to schools.  I grew up using Apple computers in all of my schools until high school and that was only because it was a private high school and the computer teacher was an avid PC fan.

I don't think we should look at the entire legnth of time of the seeding though, there are other factors that brought computers in to the home that weren't there in the 80s or even early 90s.  Certainly they were nearing a turning point.  However thanks to that seeding Apple positioned themselves very well to gain marketshare once those generations grew up.

I'm a good example, I've got a Mac and PC, I use the Mac as my general go to computer, and the PC to play video games.  I could have just used the PC for everything, but I didn't want to just because I didn't want something I'd need to relearn (however easy they make it). 

I don't think B&N will need to wait as long for a return on their investment, we live in a very different world than was around in the early 80s.  Personal technology is extremely prevelent in the average American home.  Getting kids comfortable with your brand breeds generations that will at least have a good awareness of your products.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

"Hamilton Creek School language arts teacher Melanie McCormick’s read “Between Shades of Gray,”

This has me Worried! And I Don't Know Why? :smileysurprised:

Kind of wondering if and when the novelty wears off the kids become jaded about using them down the line. And can only hope it keeps the kids interested long enough until addiction sets in! :smileytongue:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
keriflur

orb9220 wrote:

"Hamilton Creek School language arts teacher Melanie McCormick’s read “Between Shades of Gray,”

This has me Worried! And I Don't Know Why? :smileysurprised:

Between Shades of Gray should not be confused with Fifty Shades of Grey.  Between Shades of Gray is an amazing book about the Lithuanians that the Soviets sent to work camps during WWII, and IMO everyone should read it.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Thanks keriflur I made an assumption based on all the buzz-read about Fifty shades my bad and thanks for the heads up.
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Distinguished Correspondent
javabird
0 Kudos

That is wonderful. I wish they had mentioned where people can send donations to buy more Nooks.
New User
MrGrantClarke
0 Kudos

I have 2 kids in elementary school and they just recently purchased tablets. I see this as a good thing. Making learning fun can help of course. Keep the kids away from the games is the challenge. One thing not mentioned is that reading books on a tablet/ereader has been proven helpful for dyslexia. Technology isn't to be feared!!

I'm new and happy to be here!