Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

Correspondent
cork_dork_mom
0 Kudos

Re: the worst customer service I have ever had....don't buy nook

I have to agree that B&N customer service has really dropped off.

When I was in the market for an e-reader the first place I went was to B&N. Tried two different times to get some help test driving the Nook but to no avail. Maybe they were just short staffed...

Three times I had pre-ordered books and each one came in almost a month after it was released - now granted maybe that had something to do with the publisher, but for each book I ended up buying it from Wal Mart before the pre-ordered copy was delivered because my son just couldn't wait to read them (when my son gets excited about a book I'm all over it since he's not a big reader).

When I go to B&N the people are friendly and very helpful - not too impressed with their phone service.

cork_dork_mom
Frequent Contributor
ssakuras
0 Kudos

Ahahaha, you think that that's bad? I'm sorry, you should try going to mysears.com and read some of the posts on there about THEIR customer service. Some people have gone half a year, rarely more but a few cases have gone past half a year, before they get the issue resolved. On top of that it's about more important things like fridges and washer/dryers where the customer loses out on the cost of hundreds of dollars of food that go bad.. or the washer might leak because it wasn't installed properly and then the room the washer is in will get moldy and it costs the customers hundreds to have the mold removed...

I'm not saying Sears in general is horrible, but when things DO go wrong, they go VERY wrong more often than not. No one in my family has ever had any problems except for one, where Sears lost my grandma's vaccum cleaner while fixing it for a few months.. but we've bought many appliances from Sears, and just this last January I even bought a 3D TV from them and my mom got a new air condition this summer. Almost all of our major appliances have been from Sears so the fact that we've only had one problem, and a fairly minor one at that, is saying something good about them heh.

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

I really like my nook but customer service for this company is deplorable.  My nook battery would not hold a charge.  I bought it at a local store so I took it back there.  The store manager would not give me a new battery.  He got one "from the back" that was obviously used and put it in.  It did work OK but would not hold a charge for more than 5 days (they advertise 10 days).  The store also sold me a defective cover and would not take it back or exchange.

Telephone customer service finally agreed to send me a new battery.  But the cover issue is still no resolved.

They really do have a no care attitude as soon as they get your money.

Too bad, the product is great and I really like it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
RHWright
0 Kudos

@HoosierJoe: Sorry that this has been your experience.

Mine has been nothing like this; in fact, I'd say it's been the opposite and has included:

• A phone rep talking me through sideloading an issue of the New Yorker that would not download normally

• Replacing, with no hassles, an out-of-warranty N1E with a new one when the bezel cracked

• Refunding me the difference when the $99 CPO N2E I ordered last week dropped to $79 this week, again without hassles

As to the battery charge issue, though it was advertised as 10 days for the N1E, this varies greatly by usage and the age of the battery. Even with moderate usage when it was brand new I don't remember getting 10 full days on a charge. 5 seems about right for an older battery and is not outside what I would consider reasonable expectations.

Wordsmith
ProfReader
0 Kudos

HoosierJoe wrote:

I really like my nook but customer service for this company is deplorable.  My nook battery would not hold a charge.  I bought it at a local store so I took it back there.  The store manager would not give me a new battery.  He got one "from the back" that was obviously used and put it in.  It did work OK but would not hold a charge for more than 5 days (they advertise 10 days).  The store also sold me a defective cover and would not take it back or exchange.

Telephone customer service finally agreed to send me a new battery.  But the cover issue is still no resolved.

They really do have a no care attitude as soon as they get your money.

Too bad, the product is great and I really like it.

The charge is based on how much you read.5 days is about what the Ne1 actually gets if you don't read much each day. You need to view advertising as a certain amount of propaganda, that is why doing your own research is important. If you didn't recieve the service that you desired.you should have asked to speak to the store manager,no one has to put up with bad service unless they are unreasonable. Also each store has different employees with different attitudes and some are bad and some are good. But overall the Nook is a good product and is worth buying.

Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

Yeah, thanks for the responses.  But when they say 10 days, that's what I expected. And yes, it sits unused most of the time, I just leave it on.

In any case, the first battery would only last about 36 hours.  This battery "from the back room" lasts about 5 days.  While I can understand getting a bad one, I did expect that the store manager would be a little more receptive.

As for the case, I gave up that fight.  It was defective and they won't take it back simply because they don't want to.  So I got another one.

All of that is secondary, I like the nook quite a lot.

Inspired Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@HoosierJoe,

It is sad to hear that you had to go through so much, and at the end, your needs as a customer were not satisfied.  If I were you I would present a complaint to B&N's regional manager.  Managers like the one who refused to help you out have no business in retail. 

The Nook, contrary to the behaviour of some people who work for BN, is a good device with a lot of potential.  Enjoy your nook readings.

Lector GS
Frequent Contributor
HoosierJoe
0 Kudos

Thanks a lot.  Things like that, I just put behind me if I can't get them worked out.  In the long run, it doesn't really matter a lot.

Took advantage of the free friday and in store opportunities today.  This is one of the main reasons I went with Nook instead of Kindle.  You never know what they might offer in store that you would be interested in.

Inspired Bibliophile
Desert_Brat
0 Kudos

@HoosierJoe -- I'm sorry you've had such a difficult time, is there another store in your area? I had difficulties with a store and changed to a different one. The new store has more than graciously helped me each time I've had a problem, even with something that wasn't purchased at their store!

As far as the battery, ratings have gone from page turns to days to hours of reading. If I remember correctly, the 10-day rating correlates to about 60 minutes per day reading time. So if you are reading a couple hours a day, then the 5-day charge is about average. The latest ratings are based on 30 minutes of reading time so they look pretty snazzy for the new units. This is why Amazon changed their rating, it was 30 days based on an hour a day. And, of course, those ratings are based on reading time with everything else turned off or set at minimum values -- like wifi and screen brightness.

In any case, when things aren't resolved to your satisfaction then do as has already been mentioned -- move up the ladder.

A lifelong reader, now may my life be long enough to catch up on my reading!