Since 1997, you’ve been coming to BarnesandNoble.com to discuss everything from Stephen King to writing to Harry Potter. You’ve made our site more than a place to discover your next book: you’ve made it a community. But like all things internet, BN.com is growing and changing. We've said goodbye to our community message boards—but that doesn’t mean we won’t still be a place for adventurous readers to connect and discover.

Now, you can explore the most exciting new titles (and remember the classics) at the Barnes & Noble Book Blog. Check out conversations with authors like Jeff VanderMeer and Gary Shteyngart at the B&N Review, and browse write-ups of the best in literary fiction. Come to our Facebook page to weigh in on what it means to be a book nerd. Browse digital deals on the NOOK blog, tweet about books with us,or self-publish your latest novella with NOOK Press. And for those of you looking for support for your NOOK, the NOOK Support Forums will still be here.

We will continue to provide you with books that make you turn pages well past midnight, discover new worlds, and reunite with old friends. And we hope that you’ll continue to tell us how you’re doing, what you’re reading, and what books mean to you.

New User
DaphneL
0 Kudos

Dismantling the Portable Stove(s)

Can someone explain this to me: On two occasions when the father and son find shelter which contains a gas-powered portable stove (the underground bunker and the houseboat), the father dismantles the stove before they leave to head on the road again. From the way the passages are written, I'm not sure what he's trying to accomplish.

In the bunker, the father takes the portable two burner gas stove and does the following (p. 130):
"He checked the valve on the tank that it was turned off and swung the little stove around on the footlocker and sat and went to work dismantling it. He unscrewed the bottom panel and he removed the burner assembly and disconnected the two burners with a small crescent wrench. He tipped out the plastic jar of hardware and sorted out a bolt to thread into the fitting of the junction and then tightened it down. He connected the hose from the tank and held the little potmetal burner up in his hand, small and lightweight. He set it on the locker and carried the sheetmetal over and put it in the trash and went to the stairs to check the weather."
He does a similar thing with the miniature stove in the abandoned boat (p. 194):
"When he had carried everything into the saloon and stacked it against the companionway he went back into the galley and opened the toolbox and set about removing one of the burners from the little gimballed stove. He disconnected the braided flexline and removed the aluminum spiders from the burners and put one of them in the pocket of his coat. He unfastened the brass fittings with a wrench and took the burners loose. Then he uncoupled them and fastened the hose to the coupling pipe and fitted the other end of the hose to the gasbottle and carried it out to the saloon. Lastly he made a bindle in a plastic tarp of some cans of juice and cans of fruit and of vegetables and tied it with a cord and ... went up onto the deck..."
Is it the burners he wants (why?). Is it the fuel? I thought that these portable gas stoves run on natural gas, not gasoline. If he carries a bottle of natural gas around, how is he going to use it? I'm not at all well-versed in outdoor survival, so I hope someone can enlighten me.
Contributor
bigkahuna
0 Kudos

Re: Dismantling the Portable Stove(s)

In the first instance I read it as the Father building a more lightweight, portable stove by canabalizing (no pun intended) parts from the big one. He could not take the 3 burner "Coleman type stove" so he made it into a "backpacking" type one that could heat cans of beans, etc.

bk

Users Online
Currently online: 70 members 321 guests
Please welcome our newest community members: